• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Reaction score
Agree with that ^^^

As for the vents - yeah it’s an eighties - nineties thing but I also like the look of a clean and unruffled back on any jacket. Even going back decades (Sorry @Clouseau !!) I seem to remember eg Kirk Douglas in ‘Out of the Past’ wearing a big shouldered DB jacket and when he turns around you see a smooth expanse of back that looks good.
I don’t like the way vents can either gap, or else cause those vertical soft folds in them like a pair of drawn curtains!
Probably one of the reasons, why mods were known to have stood up on buses, even when there was empty seats, apart from creasing their trews.

Yorky

Reaction score
Although it has always been up for debate, the term modernist simply comes from a group of like minded people who were into modern jazz, as opposed to trad jazz, and wore the latest in continental and American clothing.
It has nothing to do with looking towards the future, they simply embraced the latest looks, and gadgets, they were subversive, blending in with their own surroundings, but living outside the realms of the general population.

To quote Pete Meaden

The Mods were, for me, the revolution . . . There's a North Vietnamese Army who are solid troops, and there's the Vietcong who are like Mods, who are the ones who've been fighting all the time. They've never let down the side, they've always been fighting in a minority group, against the vast armour of the American army." Pete Meaden, 1978

Last edited:

Yorky

Reaction score
This guy is pushing the limits. To me he is the most interesting poster on SF.
Well you know, he is much younger than us.
Yesterday i was introduced to someone like that: "He is from last century!" :-D
I am always interested in his postings, and maybe he is pushing the limits, but his look is not ours.
Wonder what music he listens to?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes i heard that (about modernism) but you can't help thinking there is a double meaning.
I guess 60s mods today would consider Rais as a "Face" and they all be wearing techwear.
BTW he is also into "casuals brands" : CP Company, Stone Island, etc.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well you just said in one of your precedent post that "they simp -
ly embraced the latest looks"!
Anyway i see him more like a modern skin. Much more classier ! :-D

You are living in the past Yorky ! The look freezed on!

Yorky

Reaction score
Well you just said in one of your precedent post that "they simp -
ly embraced the latest looks"!
Anyway i see him more like a modern skin. Much more classier ! :-D

You are living in the past Yorky ! The look freezed on!
To quote the Sex Pistols "No future"

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
For my part, 'The Look' has a million different manifestations but boils down to this, looking good without coming across as a cunt. It's not easy. For instance, very very few people on SF manage it. This is not a dig at anyone on this thread but I've often looked at the challenges and 99% of the time, they're trying too hard and look as though they've raided the dressing up box. Put it this way, the last time I saw anyone who made me look twice, was a kid wearing a suit, with long-hair, on a motor-scooter in the City of London... That was about four yrs ago. There are no rules yet, there's a trillion of them.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you. But i remember a post where you said something about being 'in' the latest thing (to sum up a lot). Anyway not to stay stucked in a defunct era.
That was in reference to young fellows. They're just kids dressing in the fashion of the day. Be it Skinheads in the 60s. Or, 'Casuals' in the 70s/80s. As far as The Look's concerned, that's a different matter. Basically, and for me anyway, it's looking masculine without going overboard. The instant too much effort's apparent, it becomes a bit feminine. Oh, there is one hard and fast rule though... No Martens shoes! Only serious. Peace.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't really agree with that, he looks too futuristic, could have been an extra in Bladerunner.
Maybe he rides an hover scooter😁
An old Lexus actually. I think what I wear day to day is quite simple, the dramatic images are just for social media. I agree with you that a modern masculine look should be understated (in the context where the outfit is worn) and practical to a degree. Not too minimal and coordinated, not too flashy or deliberately loud. Achieving that balance can be just as high effort, if not more so, than the more ostentatious looks that are popular on this site.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 75 17.0%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 145 32.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.5%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%