• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Exactly trust your own judgement.

I don’t post photos on tinternet though. Don’t do Facebook either. Don’t do twitter.
I don't blame you. I relented in the end but still have reservations. It might be an age thing. Or, in my case at least, going against the grain.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen relax, it’s Saturday night!

What do you wear on a Saturday night in 2020?

In January 1969 I would have been at Ilford Palais ? under the plastic palm trees.
You old knacker!
This is me (and my Dad) in summer 1969 - still into the red white and blue colour scheme - followed by me more recently on a rare occasion to get suited up on a Saturday night along with my little girl who is around the same age now as I was in the first pic!
84903111-3CE4-4481-B17C-A29CEEF1671A.jpeg

3B446B66-42D8-46AE-B383-246CF141ED1D.jpeg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You old knacker!
This is me (and my Dad) in summer 1969 - still into the red white and blue colour scheme - followed by me more recently on a rare occasion to get suited up on a Saturday night along with my little girl who is around the same age now as I was in the first pic!
View attachment 1319997

View attachment 1319998
Great photos, and I think this shows (IMHO) your fits come out much better when taken at head height rather than from under as is often the case on your blog, particularly at short focal lengths (e.g. phone camera). May not be the case if the camera is 10-20m away with a full size sensor but that is a little tricky to arrange (this is what I do for portraits, preferring to crop and lose some detail to distorting proportions).

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you wear on a Saturday night in 2020?

Usually these days if I’m with my buddies to a bar it's one thing; out to eat/cocktails with the wife it’s another.

Wintertime here so colder than a brass monkey. Last couple times out to the bar or a gig with my buddies the following was typical: Adidas Gore tex Stockholms or Moscows, cord jeans, tartan/checked buttondown shirt or Fred/Lacoste under a dark Paul & Shark sweater or a shetland crew neck , C.P. Company/Adidas SPZL/Engineered Garments/etc parka, tweed scally cap/deerstalker/bucket hat.

Out with the wife last weekemd: Alden burgundy smooths, grey J Press flannel trousers, blue oxford cloth buttondown, 3-button dark navy Donegal tweed jacket, burgundy knit tie, navy herringbone Crombie, burgundy/blue silk scarf and brown leather gloves.

one extreme to the other based on the situation I guess. Sometimes I step up the style in situation 1.and sometimes I dress it down in situation 2

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great photos, and I think this shows (IMHO) your fits come out much better when taken at head height rather than from under as is often the case on your blog, particularly at short focal lengths (e.g. phone camera). May not be the case if the camera is 10-20m away with a full size sensor but that is a little tricky to arrange (this is what I do for portraits, preferring to crop and lose some detail to distorting proportions).
Interesting thanks. Most of my selfies and blog pics are taken at home on the run out the door, using my iPhone and a tripod. I thought I was following popular SF wisdom setting it at waist height but I can give it a go at a taller height and see if it improves. I always say I should do more ‘lifestyle’ pics but it’s not so easy with a four year old in tow!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You old knacker!
View attachment 1319997

View attachment 1319998

Great pictures.
Where are your Boots and Braces in the '69 one ? And where is it taken, it reminds me of Scotland.

The second one is lovely, but take care, if you mention your daughter some cold fish could compare you to "Bogbrush" (From the message boards from Private Eye) !

Usually these days if I’m with my buddies to a bar it's one thing; out to eat/cocktails with the wife it’s another.

Wintertime here so colder than a brass monkey. Last couple times out to the bar or a gig with my buddies the following was typical: Adidas Gore tex Stockholms or Moscows, cord jeans, tartan/checked buttondown shirt or Fred/Lacoste under a dark Paul & Shark sweater or a shetland crew neck , C.P. Company/Adidas SPZL/Engineered Garments/etc parka, tweed scally cap/deerstalker/bucket hat.

Out with the wife last weekemd: Alden burgundy smooths, grey J Press flannel trousers, blue oxford cloth buttondown, 3-button dark navy Donegal tweed jacket, burgundy knit tie, navy herringbone Crombie, burgundy/blue silk scarf and brown leather gloves.

one extreme to the other based on the situation I guess. Sometimes I step up the style in situation 1.and sometimes I dress it down in situation 2

Less description (that litany of brands is tiring) and more pictures mate ! Here on SF we post pictures don't we ?

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pictures.
Where are your Boots and Braces in the '69 one ? And where is it taken, it reminds me of Scotland.

The second one is lovely, but take care, if you mention your daughter some cold fish could compare you to "Bogbrush" (From the message boards from Private Eye) !
That summer holiday we were at a bed and breakfast farmhouse in the Lake District. I think the picture is by Lake Ullswater. My shilling a week pocket money (that was before decimalisation, now 5p) wouldn’t extend to boots and braces!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That summer holiday we were at a bed and breakfast farmhouse in the Lake District. I think the picture is by Lake Ullswater. My shilling a week pocket money (that was before decimalisation, now 5p) wouldn’t extend to boots and braces!
Anyway they didn't do 4 year size in DMs then ! They do now !

Some of the best holidays i spent was Summer 1980 in the Loch region. Superb.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.......some cold fish could compare you to "Bogbrush" (From the message boards from Private Eye) !

The cold fish might not want the Furious Frenchman throwing his toys out of the pram again.

As President Bush never said:-

That’s the trouble with the French, they don’t have a word for ‘sang froid’.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads