• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Actually and curiously you are referring to the 3 people with whom you never had an argument yet.
I wont comment on their fit. Each to his own anall that, but what you say is "discutable". For example even if he uses contemporary brands, Yorky's fit are very dated. Nothing wrong with that but nothing to do with 'clobber of the day".
Peace

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blimey, I happen to mention that I wore a Barbour to the pub and it, quite inadvertently, brings the thread back to life ?

Thanks for your approval Jimmy!

I guess we all have a different idea of the Look as we are all unique. I did wear DM shoes briefly in 1968 and again in about 1990 but never took to them and never really felt that they were part of the Look.

Back in the day I saw very few people wearing DM shoes and my mates took the piss out of mine. But some people on M to S admitted to them as the Inspector says.

An influence on my own ongoing look that has been greater than the late 60s, was the casual look of the 1980s and I accept that I am, therefore, often out of step with some here, but that’s the way it should be...

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well Mr K once again each to his own... i guess that not anyone in '69 could buy Royals, like today we cant all buy Aldens.
As i said before DM shoes are practical and democratic. Not everyone likes them of course, like Barbour jackets!
I dont really see what's "football casual" in your look TBH. Very traditional in CM and maybe a bit more "creative" sometimes in casual Wear.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well Mr K once again each to his own... i guess that not anyone in '69 could buy Royals, like today we cant all buy Aldens.
As i said before DM shoes are practical and democratic. Not everyone likes them of course, like Barbour jackets!
I dont really see what's "football casual" in your look TBH. Very traditional in CM and maybe a bit more "creative" sometimes in casual Wear.
Not so much football casual, as in the 80s there was also a strong casual look running alongside the one seen on the terraces. This was offered by Woodhouse, Jones and a few others in London and included Armani, Boss, Paul Smith and so on.

I was seduced by that part of the casual scene - Designer casual if you like.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Ha OK i get it now !
Can be lost in translation sometimes. Here when we say "casuals" we immediatly think of football fans.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know and I should have been more precise. At the time I was mid to late 20s and I guess the football casuals were generally a good bit younger. John Simons was also still around in the 80s and I continued to mix some of his stuff (especially shoes) with the Designer bits.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What are your intended purchase for 2020 ?

In my case :

LVC 551zxx

Fred Perry Harrington

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Mr. Knightly, your thread is climbing toward 600 page. Could you be so kind as to reaquaint newcomers to what you mean by 'the look' and is it just a Brit thing and the term leans on the generic side, maybe an adjective or two. Cannot read all 600 pages, can barely read the opening credits on my Netflix shows. Thank ye. Kindly.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just kidding...

My main 'need' is for a pair of light coloured corduroy trousers or jeans. I had a pair from Uniqlo a few years ago in just the right weight and colour, but since they wore out I have never found quite the thing to replace them.

A pair of denim jeans too is on the list - not sure what make yet.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Mr. Knightly, your thread is climbing toward 600 page. Could you be so kind as to reaquaint newcomers to what you mean by 'the look' and is it just a Brit thing and the term leans on the generic side, maybe an adjective or two. Cannot read all 600 pages, can barely read the opening credits on my Netflix shows. Thank ye. Kindly.

If only we knew !

There are essential prerequisite for this thread :

Read the Opening Post.

Don't mention Barbour and DM shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads