The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have to admit that I don't know what material is the best for a Crombie,does a certain % of man made fibre make it wear better ? or is wool the best ?.
    I think that black looks to stark ? so I agree with you about navy,I am thinking it could be worn with jeans and my tan brogue boots in a more dressed down way,but what shirt ? a BD and Crombie was a good look but is it too much of the reenactor look now ?.
    M+S have a wool and cashmere coat in black for £159,but it also says 'wool rich' and doesn't give details of other materials..I might have been interested if it was navy,but there doesn't seem to be too much about without going really expensive and I don't know that I want to pay a hell of a lot for a coat that I don't know if I would wear much.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I didn't think that there was anything wrong with your 'Look' in the picture,but I don't think that the photo itself was the best it looked to dark to me and you have put up better pictures of shoes and trousers before.
    Mind you that's a bit rich coming from me who cant put up pictures at all with my limited equipment and even more limited IT 'skills'.
    I would be interested in your opinions on Crombie / overcoats,do you think that they can be worn casually with much success ?,it didn't work for the gelled up berk that I saw the other day wearing a brown 'crombie' with black skinny jeans with massive holes in the knees..not the kind of 'Look' I am thinking about.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:Thanks for the feedback, cerneabbas. You are right, that summary pic at least was too dark. You may not have scrolled down to see the other three or four pictures that comprised my entry – they were better IMO. The irony is I took trouble to get out the ‘bridge’ camera and set it up in the garden before going to the office rather than relying on snatched iPhone pics taken during the day. The sun was only just up and try as I might to edit the pics later they were all a bit dark. In any case there were better entries and some were much better presented too. The odd thing is I got a very public thumbs-up from Cleav and received a PM from a US member who I had not corresponded with before but who was clearly taken by my entry. So it remains a bit of a lottery… Click on my tumblr link below and then on 'The Friday Challenge' item to see the full entry there. Turning to the Crombie, I had my first one in 1967. I can remember getting it as though it were yesterday. I went with my mum and dad to Romford and we bought it in Mintz and Davis on the Market Square. It wasn’t a real Crombie, of course but very nice. Navy with breast pocket, I thought I looked the dog’s bollocks! Actually, in those days it was seen as suitable to wear with casual stuff. It looked great with jeans and Royals, for example. In fact, we used to buy them pretty tight so that you couldn’t easily wear a jacket underneath. Today I believe certain coats can be worn casually but perhaps not a Crombie. What about a covert coat from Cordings?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

4. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I could always wear my Crombie over the mohair suit back in the day. They have now slipped out of the mainstream. I could get great coats from department stores but ended up buying a
    Crombie from the Crombie shop when nothing else was available. West End shops had Jose Mourinho-style Armani coats that were outrageously expensive, so it softened me up for the cost of the Crombie in a sale.

You can get decent overcoats on eBay. Nobody wears a coat nowadays; they just get cold or wet. So there are bargains. You will get a good quality "Made in England", well-fitting overcoat for next to nothing. And it will be in very good condition and better than the cheap tat in the High Street and much of the expensive tat Up West. You will stand out from the crowd too.

5. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

6. Mr Knightley

Quote:Sad but true. As I was driving into work earlier in the cold and rain I saw a young woman (with two small children) walking along quite happily in a lightweight and light coloured cardigan! Charity shops around my way seem to have lots of great bargains too. You all know about my Grenfell but I have seen many other tempting coats, sports jackets etc nearly new and hardly worn.

7. baggycasual

baggycasual Well-Known Member

I know this is simply a marketing photo but I think he looks really good, still prefer the car though [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taken from the John Simons webshop

8. Mr Knightley

Quote:Very cool. JS seems to be getting much sharper at publicity . I enjoy his Facebook page.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have had 2 Crombie style coats one was in the mid 70s a nice camel colour,and the other later was an air force blue / grey,I never wore either with jeans but perhaps with a navy one I would.
    I would also wear it fairly tight probably just wear a shirt or shirt and v neck under it.
    The Cordings covert coats look excellent,the only that I am not keen on is the stitching around the cuffs and the hem,I will have a good look around before buying a coat as I don't think I will be getting one before this winters over so maybe find something in a sale.

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes I have seen some nice coats on e bay but getting the size right is always the issue,half the time people describe items wrongly even mistaking centimetres for inches.
    Agree about people not wearing coats,how they can walk to work getting soaked and then sit there wet is a mystery to me,not sure if they are stupid or just inept.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Pretty much got the casual side of The Look nailed there?, not sure that I would wear trousers that light in colour but they look good with the Harrington ( which is £149,seems a lot to me).

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Shirts , I have seen 2 that appeal to me this week,Atom Retro have BD Lee chambray shirts reduced to £39 I was tempted by these last year but I didn't get one then.
    Walking through town I noticed a white club collar shirt ( cant remember which shop), I did think that it might look nice with a suit or Crombie style coat,never had a club collar and I am not sure now,a bit too retro ?.

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

A crombie/chesterfield has to be in a hard felt-like melton wool. Any lighter and it starts to look like a frock coat, a bit of an undertaker look. Think I saw the same as you in M&S - as well as the blackness it looked a little unfinished to me, too 'hairy' and not flat enough. I would go with a non-button down shirt myself, I think what you wear inside on the upper body has a disproportionate effect in confirming or confounding the stereotype.

14. covskin

covskin Senior member

Not too fond of the triple stitching on a covert coat myself. That and the whole 'country' aspect of the coat. Not sure about the colour even - navy goes better with my greying hair!

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes,now you mention it that M+S was a bit hairy, I am definitely going to look for something in navy blue in a similar style but with better finished material.
    A couple of years ago I saw some Crombie style coats by Charles Tyrwhitt in a lighter weight material,I tried one on but it wasn't waisted enough for me,the only thing it would have been no good for would be keeping you warm on a cold day !,as you say a bit more like a frock coat.
    I was wondering about a club collar rather than a button down but maybe worn with an overcoat it would look too old fashioned ?.
    I have to say that I really liked the look in the early 70s, heavy brogues,plain trousers,BD,tie and Crombie..maybe the rolled brolly was going a bit too far,but for me that was a classic Look.