• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I could go on but, you know, I don't wish to appear a show-off... It's not in my nature.

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Funny you say that. I had a Lands End flannel shirt in BlackWatch Tartan in the 90s that i kept for years. I was just wondering if the Uniqlo x JWA could stand the comparison. It seems thinner indeed, now its a popover, it was cheap, and it's a bit more fashionable than the Lands Ends items.
TBH i find that the contemporary Lands End can't stand the comparison in terms of quality with the 90s Lands End...

Quote/Kingstonian:
No Ben Nevis which is the classic inexpensive raglan sleeve option.

Well apart the Next (because it's in cord) he says he don't mention Budget harringtons...
Lands End flannels I bought in the sales have all held up well and are very warm. Only changes I notice are the patterns offered. I have all the nice tartans and plaids that I want but recent years have not been as desirable anyway. Button down collars on mine are a reasonable size too.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Lands End flannels I bought in the sales have all held up well and are very warm. Only changes I notice are the patterns offered. I have all the nice tartans and plaids that I want but recent years have not been as desirable anyway. Button down collars on mine are a reasonable size too.
Did you know the brand in the 90s? At the time, as far as i remember, it was only available in the USA unless if you were ready to pay a lot for the customs and postage. I think that once they begin to sell their stuff abroad there was a drastic change in quality.
I think LLBean is much better nowadays.

I remember the collar of the LE Flannel BD i had was on the smaller side but still decent.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne

Are those all recent acquisitions?!!!

Love my covert coats, and that Light grey Crombie one looks amazing. However, I have a hard time wearing this style coat now if I’m wearing a scally cap(or your above newsboy cap). One more “Peaky Blinders” comment from nice old ladies and I may explode.

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Did you know the brand in the 90s? At the time, as far as i remember, it was only available in the USA unless if you were ready to pay a lot for the customs and postage. I think that once they begin to sell their stuff abroad there was a drastic change in quality.
I think LLBean is much better nowadays.

I remember the collar of the LE Flannel BD i had was on the smaller side but still decent.
No only purchased from UK and found their stuff good value and sometimes very good.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne

Are those all recent acquisitions?!!!

Love my covert coats, and that Light grey Crombie one looks amazing. However, I have a hard time wearing this style coat now if I’m wearing a scally cap(or your above newsboy cap). One more “Peaky Blinders” comment from nice old ladies and I may explode.
Thing is, well actually, there's two things. Firstly, I've been wearing those caps for around 45 years and secondly, the pricks that wear them down to Peaky-Blinders, go for a 'fuller' cap. More Bakerboy. Those I had to cease and desist with. Both of them from Locks too. They're relatively recent acquisitions. All bar the Buzz Rickson jacket... threw that in for a laugh. To be honest, there's a lot more but much of it would be inappropriate for the thread. Take care B.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne many of those purchases would have stood you well in the Friday Challenge - Show us the Cut of Your Jib. But I do appreciate that you don't like to show off...

Anyway, go Vote!

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Thing is, well actually, there are two things. Firstly, I've been wearing those caps for around 45 years and secondly, the pricks that wear them down to Peaky-Blinders, go for a 'fuller' cap. More Bakerboy. Those I had to cease and desist. with. Both from Locks too. They're relatively recent acquisitions. All bar the Buzz Rickson jacket... threw that in for a laugh. To be honest, there's a lot more but much of it would be inappropriate for the thread. Take care B.
Sorry, an amendment; the brown fedora's not in my possession. I had it on order from Locks but they've discontinued it.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Another for the road. You know how it is... Got it this morning (Sun/17th/Nov). Pendleton 'Thomas Kay'. Oh!

Image result for pendleton thomas kay shirt blue and black

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of recent purchases, you have heard me talk about 'The Wonders of Vintage' before - the OCBD I'm wearing in the current FC is one of their offerings.

I just picked up a Made in France longsleeve Lacoste from one of their Topman outlets. Lovely colour:

New Lacoste deets.JPG

New Lacoste.JPG

Kingstonian

Reaction score
On the subject of recent purchases, you have heard me talk about 'The Wonders of Vintage' before - the OCBD I'm wearing in the current FC is one of their offerings.

I just picked up a Made in France longsleeve Lacoste from one of their Topman outlets. Lovely colour:

View attachment 1282167

View attachment 1282170
Not with a cravat though. Only Kenneth More can wear those. You would also need a pipe and crinkly brylcream hair. Probably a tattersall shirt too. Ken did not go in for logos.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not with a cravat though. Only Kenneth More can wear those. You would also need a pipe and crinkly brylcream hair. Probably a tattersall shirt too. Ken did not go in for logos.
I thought someone would say that! The problem with these older Lacostes is a small, low-set collar. You need something to fill the gap. A t-shirt / 'Canadian Cravat' perhaps?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.