1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

2. baggycasual

baggycasual Well-Known Member

Easily one of the better dressed Knightley. Sadly couldn't vote as the poll had expired. I feel sorry for some of them. But it's a good indication of US (mainly) perception and taste given you came down the pecking order. In the words of Bernard Manning who I'm no particular fan of: what a fucking disgrace.

3. baggycasual

That 80scasuals site is so overpriced on virtually every item, I'm amazed they seemingly do so well. A lot of the sports brands from the 80's are tat now, the companies have either changed hands and or all the gear is made for a tuppence in God knows where or under license.

4. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

Yep, that thread is just one big love-in.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

Crombies / overcoats.
    I went to a funeral today,as always seems to be the case when I have been to funerals it was freezing cold with the threat of showers.
    I have to say that most of the people I saw there were quite well and respectfully dressed.
    I wore a suit and carried an umbrella but a lot of the men ( mostly in their 50s and 60s) were wearing Crombie type overcoats and they were well suited to the occasion warm,dark, smart and sombre.
    Now I have sometimes thought of buying a Crombie again,but probably a grey herring bone one,today has made me think that I should perhaps go for a dark navy or black one but apart from funerals would I wear it very often ?.
    To me a Crombie could be very much part of 'The Look', do others here agree ? can they be 'dressed down'? if so what with ? do you like the velvet collar ? ( I don't) and which Crombie would you choose if buying one ?...

6. cerneabbas

I am guessing that the stuff that they sell on that site is quite difficult to find except online ? even in a city the size of Bristol I wouldn't be able to find Lois jeans or some of the other stuff,so paying over the odds saves on a journey plus fuel perhaps ?.
    I agree that most of it is over priced tat,but I thought that some of it was 'back in the day' too.

7. covskin

Some simplified and generic sportswear basics of decent quality would be nice to work into the wardrobe but I am not sure that I have ever seen any. Tried a plain Slazenger quarter-zip tracksuit top from Sports Direct more in hope than expectation and it pilled almost immediately. With decent fabric and a metal zip it would have worked well.

8. covskin

A crombie/chesterfield is *the* natural wardrobe item. Navy is my preference (and no velvet collar), works for young and old across the formality range from pullover and jeans to Black Tie. Having said that I am still looking for one!

9. cerneabbas

In the 80s I remember having a Slazenger polo shirt and I thought that it was pretty good quality, a couple of years ago I bought some Slazener tracksuit trousers for running as you say pilled very quickly.
    I have 2 pairs of Adidas tracksuit trousers that must be over 10 years old,both get washed at 40c at least once a week and they are still wearable,I bet a replacement pair wouldn't last as long now ( this is for gym and running only ).

10. baggycasual

That shop should come with a health warning, I bought two basic Puma polo's form there years ago and they were ruined after one wash, straight in the bin. I've learned from experience it's not worth buying from untrusted sources no matter how cheap/alluring something appears.

Same goes for mainlinemenswear, don't buy anything from there either. Pretty sure they sell fakes too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

11. covskin

I would have thought the time is ripe for the basic and tasteful tracksuit top to follow the polo shirt and grey sweatshirt into becoming a staple of the wider western look (not 'chav grandad', more 'ralph lauren'). If someone is doing this please let me know.

12. baggycasual

The 'High Street' seems to be doing a lot of bomber cum tracktops these days, Zara, River Island, Topman. But I don't go in these shops so wouldn't know of the quality, finish etc. I wouldn't expect too much though. As far as British sportswear goes I can only really think of Walsh trainers but they look terrible anyway. There must be others though who do clothing?

13. covskin

^ Bukta came to mind but after a bit of googling it looks like just another hollowed-out brand - history getting vague in the 90s, 'consortium', 'heritage', blah...

14. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Ha ha! I'm not saying anything ...

15. cerneabbas

Hugo Boss do some zip up sweatshirts that look like tracksuit tops,but you could only wear them with jeans and trainers ? .
    I do have a couple of zip up sweatshirts and 2 tracksuit tops but I tend to wear them underneath jackets as another layer in the winter.
    You could wear a tracksuit top as a light jacket but I think that a Harrington type jacket looks better and you can wear trousers and shoes with a Harrington which would look odd with a track top.