• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the point is... @cerneabbas - look away!
I guess that the retail industry is in such a mess that they are trying anything to make sales.
FP seem to have collaborations with so many different people/other firms,the oddest imo is with Arktis the military supplier.

I recently noticed the Barour x Engineered Garments collaboration and last night I got an advert for the 'Barbour Ridley Scott collection' basically a Barbour jacket with the pocket in a slightly different place.

Maybe I am partly responsible for the slow down in retail as I havent bought very much this year.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I recently noticed the Barbour x Engineered Garments collaboration and last night I got an advert for the 'Barbour Ridley Scott collection' basically a Barbour jacket with the pocket in a slightly different place.
A Ridley Scott X Barbour is a bit strange. Maybe the pocket is at the most practical place for his director's viewfinder ?

A few years ago Buzz Rickson made a black MA-1 in collaboration with the writer William Gibson, because one of his fictional Character was wearing one...

Speaking of MA-1, there is one rather interesting in the Barbour X Engineered Garments collection.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess that the retail industry is in such a mess that they are trying anything to make sales.
FP seem to have collaborations with so many different people/other firms,the oddest imo is with Arktis the military supplier.

I recently noticed the Barour x Engineered Garments collaboration and last night I got an advert for the 'Barbour Ridley Scott collection' basically a Barbour jacket with the pocket in a slightly different place.

Maybe I am partly responsible for the slow down in retail as I havent bought very much this year.

I bought the Barbour x E Garments Warby overhead jacket. Lighter than most Barbour waxed offerings but a thing of beauty. Not really part of the Look, but cool in a casuals/Liam Gallagher chic sort of way.
Caution, they run ENORMOUS. I normally take a size 42-44, and bought a Medium. I could probably get away with having bought a small.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I bought the Barbour x E Garments Warby overhead jacket. Lighter than most Barbour waxed offerings but a thing of beauty. Not really part of the Look, but cool in a casuals/Liam Gallagher chic sort of way.
Caution, they run ENORMOUS. I normally take a size 42-44, and bought a Medium. I could probably get away with having bought a small.
I think most of EG stuff runs enormous as it's part of their adrenalin...

I quite like their 'technical vests', they did one with Barbour i think.
Now i don't think i would wear one though !

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, if you wanna have a look at MrK's entry and mine in the FC, here it is :

View attachment 1215561
Guys - still a day or two to enter ... or maybe more.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
For those of you who might be interested, DM just released the "Archie II" (previously known as "Archie", previously known as "Steed") shoes, with a thinner air sole.
On the contrary to the previous models who were Made in England, the "Archie II" are made in Thailand, so they cost half the price. (on a side note, the made in Thailand ones are usually quite good.)
The only difference with the previous model in smooth leather is the stitching, but it's black, and quite discreet. The air sole is black too. I went yesterday to the DM shop to try them, i wore my Steed to compare, the last and sizing (TTS) are the same.

Archie II.jpg

For comparison, the MiE Steed (here in "vintage" Quilon leather, i am the happy owner of three pairs) :
steed-quilon.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who might be interested, DM just released the "Archie II" (previously known as "Archie", previously known as "Steed") shoes, with a thinner air sole.
On the contrary to the previous models who were Made in England, the "Archie II" are made in Thailand, so they cost half the price. (on a side note, the made in Thailand ones are usually quite good.)
The only difference with the previous model in smooth leather is the stitching, but it's black, and quite discreet. The air sole is black too. I went yesterday to the DM shop to try them, i wore my Steed to compare, the last and sizing (TTS) are the same.

View attachment 1221530

For comparison, the MiE Steed (here in "vintage" Quilon leather, i am the happy owner of three pairs) :
View attachment 1221531
@Clouseau

From the pictures you posted the MiE pair seem to have much nicer-looking leather and a more 'natural' treatment on the side of the soles - giving an overall impression of quality. Are the MiE option now discontinued? I think you may have told us before. If so, apologies!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Clouseau

From the pictures you posted the MiE pair seem to have much nicer-looking leather and a more 'natural' treatment on the side of the soles - giving an overall impression of quality. Are the MiE option now discontinued? I think you may have told us before. If so, apologies!
They are discontinued indeed Mr K (i first bought the oxblood, then the black, then another black pair that i haven't wear yet, for future replacement). The MiE on the picture are the Steeds Quilon leather ones, it's a matt leather supposed to be the same than on the first 1960s DMs, that's why they call it vintage. They also did them in DM "smooth" leather, and later the Archies, this is the classic DM supple leather, the same than on the new Archie II in black (they also propose the Archie II in burgundy rub off "Arcadia" plasticky leather, to be avoided !)

Now the air soles. The MiE ones have the classic DM sole color, while the Archie II have all black soles, but the quality is the same IMO.

andyf

Reaction score
They are discontinued indeed Mr K (i first bought the oxblood, then the black, then another black pair that i haven't wear yet, for future replacement). The MiE on the picture are the Steeds Quilon leather ones, it's a matt leather supposed to be the same than on the first 1960s DMs, that's why they call it vintage. They also did them in DM "smooth" leather, and later the Archies, this is the classic DM supple leather, the same than on the new Archie II in black (they also propose the Archie II in burgundy rub off "Arcadia" plasticky leather, to be avoided !)

Now the air soles. The MiE ones have the classic DM sole color, while the Archie II have all black soles, but the quality is the same IMO.

I just spotted these on the DM website. MIE, The varley in black and brown. Don’t know if you saw or tried them in your store?

Attachments

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I just spotted these on the DM website. MIE, The varley in black and brown. Don’t know if you saw or tried them in your store?
I've seen them on the website too, but didn't noticed them in the store.
They seem well made, and in a very good leather.
But they are not my thing, i stick to plain 3 holes DM shoes (1461), or to plain 4 holes à la Hawkins. The Steed/Archie/Archie II are just 1461s with a thinner sole.

andyf

Reaction score
I've seen them on the website too, but didn't noticed them in the store.
They seem well made, and in a very good leather.
But they are not my thing, i stick to plain 3 holes DM shoes (1461), or to plain 4 holes à la Hawkins. The Steed/Archie/Archie II are just 1461s with a thinner sole.
Fair enough. It’s not like you’ve a shortage of shoes is it 😉

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Fair enough. It’s not like you’ve a shortage of shoes is it 😉
Indeed. :-D

Now, apart my first Steeds (and they were at a reasonable price then, bought them in London around 6 or 7 years ago, when they were first released), i bought all the others during the sales or on Internet, always with a good discount...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bumping the thread and returning to our bespoke v. off-the-peg discussions.

Today I am wearing an outfit that has probably been worth all the trouble with bespoke tailoring - and what a trouble! Actually, not really that bad.

RC RC1 full_.jpg

The blazer turned out pretty much as intended. I have always thought the lapels rather narrow (even allowing for the late 60's styling) and the pocket flaps too small. But I like the fit, the sleeve length, smoky MOP buttons and the solid construction.

RC RC1 sit.JPG

The dogtooth trousers have been more challenging. These were the first commission from Roger Crawford in 2012. Neither he nor I was happy with the original grey buttons, so, after a few wears, we went for cloth-covered ones. The other issue was the things kept slipping down. I eventually fixed that by adding brace buttons. It fixed the problem yes, but has limited their versatility. I had originally envisaged them being worn on occasions as casual trou, with just a shirt, but that is not really possible now.

RC1 deets_.JPG

RC1 Labels_.JPG

But the overall feel of the outfit is now wonderful. Both pieces are made from relatively heavy cloth but the quality of the construction and great fit really do mean that you can put them on and forget all about them – as Hardy Amies would have advocated.

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Dogstooth trousers ? Those were the days!

I remember my fifteen year old brother getting Prince of Wales with blue overcheck trousers made by Burton. They were fine and not alarmingly expensive. We were not rich kids. He also got a blazer with what we called an ‘off centre vent’ and patch pockets. That was nice too. You had huge books of fabric. So several option in PoW cloths and lots of mohair fabrics which was the fabric of choice for suits.

As for dogstooth, you used to get very nice knock off Harringtons in that pattern.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.