• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional panama in beige straw often have a black ribbon which looks a bit harsh IMO. It’s easy to swap ‘em out. JJs has them in various colours. We recently went to Cancun for a friend’s ten year anniversary reunion and the prescribed colours were aqua, sand and white so I got an aqua hat band for the ol’ titfer there which went down well.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Thanks TWD!

Actually, knowing that there would be few people around, I did wear it today for the office. It did a great job on what turned out to be the hottest July day on record in the UK (38.1c in Cambridge).

Given my lack of experience with hats, I stopped in a deserted village to take a picture on my way to work!

View attachment 1212284
Hello Mr. Knightly. I've got a black Panama from Locks. They call it the 'Palm Springs'.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional panama in beige straw often have a black ribbon which looks a bit harsh IMO. It’s easy to swap ‘em out. JJs has them in various colours. We recently went to Cancun for a friend’s ten year anniversary reunion and the prescribed colours were aqua, sand and white so I got an aqua hat band for the ol’ titfer there which went down well.
Fascinating stuff @Thin White Duke

Are you also a fan of other hat styles?

@Jimmy Balantyne that Lock’s Panama sounds great!

I have have been trying to recall some of the many hat etiquette tips I have read over the years. Do the old rules still apply in these anything-goes times?

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Fascinating stuff @Thin White Duke

Are you also a fan of other hat styles?

@Jimmy Balantyne that Lock’s Panama sounds great!

I have have been trying to recall some of the many hat etiquette tips I have read over the years. Do the old rules still apply in these anything-goes times?
I know it's poor form and possibly bad luck, to wear them indoors. That aside though, I don't really know much about any rules and to be perfectly honest, care even less. Peace.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah over time and disuse the rules have got a bit blurred.
Like JB says you’re not supposed to wear them indoors and certainly not sat down to eat but ‘indoors’ Ike a shopping mall, airport concourse, hotel lobby, passenger train etc is probably fine.

I remember my Mam saying it was bad manners to wear your hat in a lift. Shirley MacLaine says she likes the way Jack Lemmon takes his hat off in the life in ‘The Apartment’ and Don Draper once got edgy with some young lads in the lift in ‘Mad Men’ and forced them to take their hats off.

If you watch Downtown Abbey you’ll see the old etiquette on display. If the toffs were ever meeting a lady outdoors they’d tug on the brim in passing but if they stopped to talk they’d usually doff the hat completely. I doubt anyone but Julian Fellowes himself would even notice if you did or didn’t do likelwise, especially over here the land of the ubiquitous baseball cap.

My Mam also said it was bad manners to put your hands in your pockets. Funny today I was dropping the bairn off at daycare and there was a Mam in the lift with her four year old lad and she told him to take his hands out of his pockets. I may do it wearing jeans but never do it when I’m suited up. People say they like double vented jackets as it makes putting your hands in your pockets easy - I get most of the vents in my jackets closed but since I don’t put hands in pockets it’s no loss.

As for other styles I have a couple of pork pies in black and brown and a royal blue narrow brim fedora. All rarely worn. My panamas get the most use.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Have a rollable Panama with black band. I don’t roll it and it is getting old now with a few cracks. Useful in Summer. Have a tweed bucket hat for Winter. Keeps rain off better than a flat cap.

Kingstonian

Reaction score
Have a rollable Panama with black band. I don’t roll it and it is getting old now with a few cracks. Useful in Summer. Have a tweed bucket hat for Winter. Keeps rain off better than a flat cap.
Given I don’t roll the Panama if I was buying again I would choose one with a different crown and a pinch at the front. I think they look better.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Reaction score
I don’t wear headgear as a matter of course. Cold and rain and sun protection are deciders. Wearing a hat unnecessarily draws attention to yourself.
My father and his contemporaries did not do so. He did get a big cap with ear protectors for the freeze of 63 but he only ever wore it for that.
I suppose some, like Hyacinth Bucket’s husband, continued with trilbies and kept Dunn and co in business for a while but it was dying out.
My uncles in Ireland wore caps but they were farmers and it rained more over there than here. In context, it was a good, authentic farmer look and better than what they wear today; though I doubt those hipsters who adopt the clothing of manual workers will start wearing dark suits with wellies, flat caps and long raincoats.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Guys, if you wanna have a look at MrK's entry and mine in the FC, here it is :

Harry.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I wrote a long dissertation on the blog about the story behind this suit ...

View attachment 1216442
This is an interesting article.
I experimented the same thing with a RTW sharkskin suit. As i am tall, the seller proposed to mix trousers and jackets of different sizes. The fit was better indeed, but i realized later that there was a slight difference in fabric, so that from a distance the sheen of the jacket and trousers was a tad different. TBH i have the impression i am the only one who noticed it, and i still wear that suit from time to time (that was very cheap so i don't complain too much).

I also agree that quite often simple is best. You already had a good experience with Jason's tailoring services, but wanted to go for something that looked classier, and it was a mistake.

Your last words "Caveat emptor" pretty much sums it up indeed.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.