1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Reggie Perrin is in 2001. It’s a stunning film.
    I just saw the MH stuff. Predictably looks decent but ridiculous prices. And while I like the plain white vintage look of tennis gear, I prefer my bomber with the red and blue edges than the plain white one.

3. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

So the Fred Perry laurel leaf was originally green, now that rings a bell - Fred Perrys as actual tennis shirts.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Don't know if you saw the plain black one ? Not bad...

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

83FBECDD-94BB-443C-A080-36F99B72BF54.jpeg

FA3821C4-E2BD-4297-A89A-AACCAC95FB30.jpeg

How do you maintain The Look on holiday in warm climes? Especially if you are still trying to match shoes and belt?!

It was never an issue back in 1969 as Clacton was less challenging...

One of my attempts here in Northern Cyprus:

Shirt - Givenchy
    Trousers - Boss
    Belt - PoloRL
    Espadrilles - Missoni + Castaner
    Sunglasses - Persol

6. Mr Knightley

Just had a look.

What about the oversized polo shirt? More reminiscent of 1980’s style? I guess that would be the MH heritage.

I couldn’t see where the stuff is made?

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

From what i've red somewhere Mr K, all the stuff is made in Portugal (not sure about the plimsoles though).

Yes the oversized polos are interesting, they remind me of the ones from the Nigel Cabourn collab, but the collars seem bigger.

I will try to drop in the FP shop next week to have a look at the clobber 'in the flesh'… If they have it...

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Senior Member

I really like said polo shirt, definitely getting one, prices weren't as high as I'd been afraid of.

9. dopeman

dopeman Well-Known Member

It's very MH style - boxy / anti-fit . More 90's than 80's MrK . I saw them yesterday in FP store - very nice quality . Oversized neck,though collar is good, and longer, wider sleeves.
    You couldn't wear with slimmer, more fitted trousers/shorts etc . Definitely a more current look a la Universal Works, Folk, YMC, Garbstore etc suited to fatigues or pleated, tapered trousers.
    A look I happen to like as I did in the late 80's and 90's before the slimmer mod look came back .

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Just passed by the FP shop…

FPxMH.jpg

Looks like really nice stuff...

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I would say even more late 30s than 80s or 90s.
    In Margaret Howell own words : 'Photographs of Fred Perry himself in action on the tennis court were inspirational in themselves, and together with the original polo shirt from the archive, suggested light, fluid fabrics - clothes with ample ease for movement (…) The loose fitting still seemed right for today.'

I tried one in the shop. The quality/material is standard for MiPortugal FP polos. I see no difference with a couple i have.
    The fit is a bit special. Not too wide in the body, but the collar is huge and the sleeves very long. Otherwise seems TTS. Here is a quick snapshot :

FPM_opt.jpg

Lovely skin girls working in the parisian shop, at least three different are working there, each time i go there a nice surprise. And The beat playing loud… hands off she's mine !

The logo seems tonal on the white one, on the black one it could be a very dark green, but i'm not sure.
    According to Margaret Howell, again : 'We kept the original Laurel Wreath logo but in our collection of black and white pieces, we kept it self-coloured instead of the original green'.
    Anyway, the logo is very thin, very nice, tonal, discreet, lovely. This polo has a kind of minimalist approach that i like, and you will probably like it to Cov.
    I find it expensive though, now if it's in the summer sales…
    According to the skingirl, you can find the capsule collab collection in the Margaret Howell shops too.

13. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

1. I’m on the road till Thursday but will think about a spring jacket entry. Loads of options but currently leaning towards a FP tennis bomber.

2. Prices are ridiculous for a polo and I prefer a more fitted cut. Love the idea of retro influence etc but I think I’ll pass on these. Never heard of MH anyway so don’t care about her hype. It’s a solid polo shirt, how complicated can it be?

14. Mr Knightley

Still hanging out in Cyprus, but may get a chance to enter the extended Challenge.

I do like the look of the MH polo on you, Inspector.

Mrs K may be persuaded to buy me one for my birthday.

In the 1980s or perhaps even late 70s Margaret Howell first came to my notice when I read an article about her approach in Vogue. How she had been inspired at an early age by simple, honest pieces of kit including her dad’s old raincoat hanging on the hook on the back door.

As I said earlier, although I have admired her work, I have never got round to buying any of her stuff but I may start now...