• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saturday before last I was invited to a party. It was a 70th Birthday do; a member of Mrs K's writing group. The suggested dress code was 'smart casual' - the most tricky to decipher, especially if you don't know the people that well.

I went with this outfit and felt over-dressed really...
View attachment 1164922

View attachment 1164923

View attachment 1164924
Nice one MrK, the dreaded smart/casual means different things to different people,no doubt some would see clean trainers,jeans and a polo as smart/casual.
I would like you wear shoes,trousers and a BD but I might if it was warm not bother with a jacket ! although it looks much better with one.

Oddly enough I look at tie clips at the jewellers when the GF and I visit to buy used gold jewellery,I really like some older art deco tie clips especially the stainless steel ones.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for correction C!

They were state of the art back then. Everybody loved the drip dry! Thank god that was before my time.
I think that nylon underclothes must have been quite a new thing when the books were written ?
By the late 60s nylon underclothes and shirts! were everywhere and bloody awful they were too.
imo you cant beat cotton underwear and cotton or wool socks.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose @Clouseau I would start by asking if fatigues are part of the Look today for those of us who are the 'wrong side' of 50 (or 60!).

If they are, can they really be 'tamed' by the wearing of shoes? I do recall a few skinheads back in the early days of the movement wearing them but always with boots. Indeed it was that harder look that pushed me towards the softer, suedehead side of things.

But those DMs I could wear...

The Fatigues were an impulse buy MrK,they look good imo and I suppose that I could wear them with Desert boots or my Mephisto Fredrick boots but I don't think that I want that 'look' now.
I think that I will get the Fatigues made into shorts as I was going to buy some Navy shorts and I cant find any that I like.

I am not a fan of DM's but I do like the toe cap ones,I would prefer them without metal eyelets but they still look good imo.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The Fatigues were an impulse buy MrK,they look good imo and I suppose that I could wear them with Desert boots or my Mephisto Fredrick boots but I don't think that I want that 'look' now.
I think that I will get the Fatigues made into shorts as I was going to buy some Navy shorts and I cant find any that I like.

I am not a fan of DM's but I do like the toe cap ones,I would prefer them without metal eyelets but they still look good imo.

I would like to get away from DM shoes, but really i walk a lot, and i have a bad knee, and i find they are the comfiest soles for me… But at least, when i buy some now i want them to be a kind of 'ultimate' Martens, like the Steed for example (MiE, thin sole, nice leather and shape, etc.). I discovered those limited edition toe caps too late unfortunately, as they are sold out now in most size. I won't regret for long though as the price is crazy for DMs. Just because there is the name of a designer added to a brand the price increases ridiculously !

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting PM exchange with @cerneabbas on the subject of proper footwear with Fatigues. (Boots and sneakers apart). I think that plains/smooths works the best. It happens that i met up yesterday with an old mate who is (still) a scooter boy. He wore Army greens with chunky black cap toes derbies and it looked very good. Cerneabbas told me that maybe it wasn't age appropriate. I tend to agree, but with navy fatigues, and maybe brown or burgundy cap toes, i think it might work ?

Any idea of other shoe style that (really) works with Fatigue trousers, guys ?

Now, funny thing, today i discovered that Dr Martens (Clouseau = DM nerd, remember ?) made last year some Archie (new name for DM Steed - thin sole) in a cap toe version, in collaboration with trendy Russian streetwear designer Gosha Rubchinskiy.
They are in the 'Boanil brush' full grain leather, same one that Botolph's boots.
BTW @Botolph, how does this leather ages i wonder ?

They still look great, @Clouseau
I don’t wear them a lot but they have “settled in” and aged well, yeah. I’m happy with those for sure and would recommend them.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7122.JPG
I had an interesting PM exchange with @cerneabbas on the subject of proper footwear with Fatigues. (Boots and sneakers apart). I think that plains/smooths works the best. It happens that i met up yesterday with an old mate who is (still) a scooter boy. He wore Army greens with chunky black cap toes derbies and it looked very good. Cerneabbas told me that maybe it wasn't age appropriate. I tend to agree, but with navy fatigues, and maybe brown or burgundy cap toes, i think it might work ?

Now, funny thing, today i discovered that Dr Martens (Clouseau = DM nerd, remember ?) made last year some Archie (new name for DM Steed - thin sole) in a cap toe version, in collaboration with trendy Russian streetwear designer Gosha Rubchinskiy.
They are in the 'Boanil brush' full grain leather, same one that Botolph's boots.

View attachment 1165109

View attachment 1165110

No need to say, Gosha's Archie are a very limited edition and cost an arm and a leg.
Black version :

View attachment 1165335
Hi Clouseau just thought I'd post this photo, of what could be classed as fatigues (green Levi chino's), with Loake 771's or smooths. I think that they look good together, I have also teamed the look in the past with a dark blue unstructured 3/2 button blazer from Uniqlo.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7123.JPG
View attachment 1166445
Hi Clouseau just thought I'd post this photo, of what could be classed as fatigues (green Levi chino's), with Loake 771's or smooths. I think that they look good together, I have also teamed the look in the past with a dark blue unstructured 3/2 button blazer from Uniqlo.
This one is a clearer photo.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1166445

Nice one Yorky. I usually wear fatigues with DM shoes or black NB or GAT.
Welcome to the thread !

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Clouseau, I was devastated to see Notre Dame on fire, we had a similar event over here 25 years ago when York Minster caught fire. To see it now you wouldn't be able to tell. It was on our local news programme this week that York have offered to send their stone masons and carpenters over to help if you need them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Yorky this is a very kind offer and it would be great if they came to Paris. People from all over the world have been very generous so far, and the cathedral will be re-build. Luckily, and despite the huge fire, a lot of precious things were saved.

On the Fatigues/shoes topic, your Levi's are an interesting take (think they come from the skate collection - they also did in this collection some trousers a few years ago that were very closed to the old sta-prest).
Here is an outfit from last summer : John Smedley polo, Back Number (Japanese brand) fatigues, And Fred Perry 'Twisted Wheel' fringe tassels boat shoes.

Paris August.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky this is a very kind offer and it would be great if they came to Paris. People from all over the world have been very generous so far, and the cathedral will be re-build. Luckily, and despite the huge fire, a lot of precious things were saved.

On the Fatigues/shoes topic, your Levi's are an interesting take (think they come from the skate collection - they also did in this collection some trousers a few years ago that were very closed to the old sta-prest).
Here is an outfit from last summer : John Smedley polo, Back Number (Japanese brand) fatigues, And Fred Perry 'Twisted Wheel' fringe tassels boat shoes.

View attachment 1166600
I remember seeing that photo when you posted, I wasn't posting at the time just lurking. I have several pairs of Tods driving shoes that in my opinion also look good with similar pants.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yep fatigues + 'summer' loafers (sockless) is another good combo...

With socks : smooths, boots, sneakers, toe caps, work well.
Already saw fatigues with Longwings but i didnt like it much...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
They still look great, @Clouseau
I don’t wear them a lot but they have “settled in” and aged well, yeah. I’m happy with those for sure and would recommend them.

Yeah i wanted to get my hands (or rather my feet) on the shoes (as frankly i wear boots once a year now) they made in this 'Boanil Brush' leather, in the 'Merlot' color, but unfortunately none in my size left… :cloud:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1165109

View attachment 1165110

No need to say, Gosha's Archie are a very limited edition and cost an arm and a leg.
Black version :

View attachment 1165335

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads