1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

A lot of shoes and strict rotation is the answer,its just good sense not rampant consumerism or any type of OCD.

2. cerneabbas

I usually wear most of my Polos buttoned up,the LS ones as its usually colder when I wear them, the SS ones I usually button up unless it gets very warm.
    There is such a huge choice in Polos now, Pique or Jersey, knitted or shirt type collars,plain or piping,LS or SS, I think that theres a Polo to suit virtually every occasion or weather condition except very hot and humid.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

The only time i button up my polos is when i wear them under a V-neck and that it is very cold outside. Otherwise it's the 'one button undone' rule !

4. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

I’ll wear s/s polos buttoned to the top under a harrington or other jacket, but 99% of the time with the top button undone when without a jacket.
    Longsleeve polos I tend to wear buttoned to the top.

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Me too.

6. Mr Knightley

Another 'how do you do it?' question.

Back in the day we supported our trousers with narrow braces when in casual mode and our more formal, bespoke trou were 'self-supporting' using side adjusters in different designs.

Today I wear belts with more casual trousers and with the odd suit, but increasingly it is braces / suspenders with suits and more formal trousers. Mrs K just bought me these red jobs for Valentine's.

TM Lewin braces 02 2019.jpg

Which method(s) do you favour?

7. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

I'm trying beltless for a change, usually belted.

8. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Interesting question Mr K and my answer is that if I had the choice and the setting, I'd always pick braces (Thurston's) and always buttoned, not clipped. The comfort is unparalleled and your trousers just fall right, which I find they do not with any other method, since the trousers then fall from the sides rather than hang from the front and back, if that makes sense. Unfortunately the setting usually does not allow.

A chap I knew moved recently to our tropics and I saw him three times in the first year. The first time, he stuck by his old school habit of double breasted suit (a thick pinstriped worsted, naturally), tie and braces. The next two, the weather had managed to shed him of his coat and tie, although the braces bravely remained as a vestige of his former self in more civilised climes. Thereafter it was side loops and belts. What then of the Old World "spine", well, we live in an age of comfort, trouser line be damned... perhaps that explains the popularity of the painted on look, no problem with keeping a straight crease there.

9. Mr Knightley

Yes, buttoned on, of course. The clips won't see any use.

Interesting story. I think exceptional heat in England in the summer of 1911 has been identified as causing one of the first nails in the coffin of suspenders / braces. Belts became seen as a cooler option. I suppose the iGent's love of higher-waisted trews has seen braces enjoy something of a come-back of late (albeit in very limited circles).

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I only wore braces (clips) during a short period, early 80s. TBH it was the part of the clobber i liked the less.
    Just a matter of personal preference of course. I always wear a belt, as trousers with belt loops without a belt look bad imho. In summer i wear a light elastic woven belt, the rest of the time leather belts of different widths and color.
    Now i reckon that with some outfits it would look better to not wear a belt, in that case i would be more enclined in wearing trousers with side adjusters.
    On the subject of braces with suits, i am always surprised to see the Igents showing willingly their wide braces, sometimes very colorful. I remember that in the time a real gentleman here would have never shown his braces, that tended to be as discreet as possible in neutral colors. A practical item, not a show off one. Different time different behavior i suppose.

11. Botolph

When wearing a suit in which the trousers don’t have side adjusters, I typically wear a pair of cream-colored button-on braces underneath. I forget the brand.
    I don’t recall doing it in the last twenty years or so, but I have worn a belt with a suit before— though it was a thin, black belt to match the shoes, and wasn’t noticeable under the jacket anyways. I did, in my early skinhead days, wear clip-on braces(we say suspenders) with a suit. Like the Inspecteur however, it was the part of the whole look I least liked. I normally wore a belt with casual clothing. Still do.
    I’m a bit OCD about matching belts and good shoes or boots- burgundy/burgundy, or black/black. If I’m wearing sneakers or other casual shoes it’s whatever non-black belt I have.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019

12. cerneabbas

I just saw your post about Loake 771 on the MtoS thread.
    I do like the suede 771 that you and MrK have,the Dainite sole is a positive and I think that the suede version looks better than the leather one.
    I notice that Loake have a Burgundy version of their Waverley (Dainite soled) in their Special offers for £125 ! its made in England,I have the black ones and I like them,its a different last to the 771,it might be the same last as the Royal ? anyway if you want a Burgundy plain with Dainite sole its worth looking at.

13. Botolph

Nice, thanks; those look great. Loake unfortuntely doesn’t ship to the USA anymore though.

14. cerneabbas

Loake have also stopped selling through Pediwear, seems strange but there must be reasons.
    I don't know how they choose their Special Offers, maybe they are try outs to see if there is any interest before producing in bulk.
    I would be interested in these Waverley's if the leather is more like the 1880 leather rather than the plasticy stuff especially at that price as the black ones are £180 so £125 would seem to be a real bagain.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I had a look at the Waverley, and the last (1639) is the same than the Royals. A bit too pointed maybe (to my taste) for plains/smooths.