1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Have to be careful, as a contestant! But I never cease to be surprised at voting behaviour in the FCs...

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Hence the limited subject/topic of this Challenge (blue blazer, white shirt, grey trousers) i don't think it was really possible to do something groundbreaking… :p

4. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Yeah I gave up trying to see any logic in that a long time ago. Some of my entries have had multiple likes but I was near last in voting. Other entries tossed in for the hell of it have come out near the top.

5. Mr Knightley

Yes, familiar story.

Interesting to see the voting this time with two entries neck and neck out front. One is a cool, modern European look (IMO) and the other seems to come straight from a cheap mail order catalogue c.1982. At least the latter looks like a regular security guard...

Anyway, @Thin White Duke I meant to ask what loafers you are wearing. Look good.

6. Kingstonian

‘Cool,modern European look’ gets extra votes for creative use of prop - one enormous bottle of booze. So much better than the shopping bags that now seem to feature in many photos. Background is well chosen too - with an enormous indoor tree in the background.

7. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

These are Cheaney Howards, aka Shipton and Heneage Howards.
    I did a head to head comparison with my Crocket and Jones Harvards on the blog ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/rodsmo...nd-jones-harvard-2-versus-cheaney-howard/amp/

8. Mr Knightley

Ok, thanks mate.

I was looking at some of your recent posts earlier and really liked the decade comparisons series. Sonny Crockett perhaps looks a little dated now but Riccardo Tubbs in his Boss suits still looks pretty cool.

9. Kingstonian

Grain leather on both loafers looks so much better than a lot of the high shine polished leathers out there. Dainite soles are a good idea too.

I won’t comment on price/value comparison - that is up to the purchaser to decide on. I always think lace ups should cost more than loafers though. Maybe because they have more heft.

10. Kingstonian

Only one bloke in the blazer challenge thought to wear a double breasted blazer - and even then it did not feature metal buttons.

Could have gone for a Royal family look, with bearded hipsters copying Prince Michael of Kent.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

@EFV is taking the lead. I tend to think he will propose a more interesting next Challenge for 'us' than the runner-up...

12. Mr Knightley

Thanks for your support gentlemen! Middle-ranking in the pack is a good place to be.

13. Riva

Riva Distinguished Member

The world would've been a nicer place and I could be speaking French now. Dammit...

14. Mr Knightley

Spring is very much in the air in southern England with a prediction of record-breaking temperatures by the weekend. And in the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of clothing (sorry, Lord Tennyson!)

What plans do you guys have in mind or indeed in hand?

The Inspector, we know, has already laid out some Euros this season. Will you be topping up the wardrobe or, like @covskin , only buying something on the one-in, one-out principle? Or, like @Kingstonian do you feel sated?!

I need another pair of tassel loafers and quite possibly a pair of cotton trousers of some kind.

I also need to get my buttons changed on the Austin Reed blazer - or do I? Perhaps the new buttons look nicer in their little box...

What are you up to?

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

I have been thinking about the Blazer/grey trousers, now either you go for Navy Blazer,Grey flannels,white shirt,plain or striped tie and black shoes or you try and do something a bit different but what ?
    Seems to me that you could,
    wear patterned grey trousers,P-o-W check or Puppytooth check ?
    or a brighter tie,Paisley ?
    or maybe Argyle socks ?
    shoes could be brown,maybe brogues ?
    wear Loafers as a slightly different look to more formal shoes.
    MrK added knitwear.
    So there are a fair few choices.
    Maybe the challenge would have been more interesting if the rules would have been stricter (less choice) but maybe it was better letting people try different ideas ?