The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Yep, get that. What would you say to a black pair of C & J Snowdon?

Just out of interest...

2. covskin

covskin Senior member

Well...the chunky commando sole looks a little incongruous. Would work with a suit about as well as the Solovairs!

3. Cleav

Yep, s'pose so. They are very well made. As are the Solovairs of course!

No boots for me tonight, pipe and slippers awaiting Santa's footfall. The girls are very excited!

Whatever you're doing have a good one Cov!

4. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Been on my own mod revival trip lately. One of the more recent additions are these US made Allen Edmonds "Lowry Hill" kiltie tassel loafers. Prefer these to the Weejun tassels.
    [​IMG]

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Very nice!

AE are very hard to find here in Britain these days.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  6. Mr Knightley

Happy New Year everyone!

One of my favourite pics of 2014:

[​IMG]

Sebago // J Simons // Levis 501s

7. Mr Knightley

And one of my favourite purchases of the year:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Smith cuff links (shirt Hawes and Curtis).

8. Cleav

Nice work Mr K.

I'll enter into the spirit too

My favourite 2014 'uniform'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coming in early 2015

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favourite of 2014

[​IMG]

Off out now so Happy New Year everyone! :cheers:

9. Mr Knightley

Happy New Year Cleav. Looking forward to seeing the new pieces!

10. Mr Knightley

I finally got round to trying the Poste 'Azzurri' brown toe cap Oxfords and provide a short report below.

The Poste website describes them as:

The Azzurri Toe Cap by POSTE with a brown leather upper, lace up front, back pull tab and rounded toe.
    • - Leather upper
    • - Leather lining
    • - Leather sock
    • - Leather sole

The description is not quite accurate as they also have a rubber insert in the sole. They are not Goodyear welted of course but made in Italy of a Blake construction. This gives a smooth look and flexible sole but will no doubt be less durable in the long run. The rubber part of the sole should help.

The leather quality is not the finest but looks great straight out of the box. Some of the stitching on the uppers is not quite as 'clean' as it might be.

I wore them out for the first time yesterday, having first purchased some leather socks as the shoes run slightly large. I have to say that they are supremely comfortable and a pleasure to wear. The laces are slightly long and I used a double knot to take up some of the slack. I will replace them.

So, even at full price, the Azzurri seems at this stage to be a good buy. And I suppose they make me question the laying out of up to £400 on a pair of Church's Diplomats, for example - which no doubt I shall do again[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Poste Azzurri // Viyella OTC // M&S 'Italian' suit by Luigi Botto

11. Mr Knightley

I have just been skimming through the latest SF Briefing and found these words about the importance of SF rang a bell:

'Whatever one calls us -- enthusiasts, dandies, menswear dorks -- this tribe derives real pleasure (perhaps even a neurochemical buzz?) from a perfectly shivered trouser break, or the easy swale of cloth over the waist of well-cut jacket. To us, these are specifically, uniquely beautiful things: the brush strokes and grace notes of a rarefied sartorial art that actually has very little to do with Fashion, Status, Vanity, or any of the other callow motivations so frequently ascribed to deliberate dressing by those who don’t get its inherent appeal. If menswear truly is all about the details, the significance of those details, the fun of them, is in their recognition and appreciation by one’s peers.

If asked, most men will resolutely insist that they dress for themselves. This would seem especially true of men who choose to risk being tarred as eccentric or effete by outfitting themselves with conspicuous care. What Styleforum and other menswear forums recognize, however, is that most of these recreational dressers -- the guys who really damn the haters and just go for it -- are less motivated to make an individual statement than to be part of an ongoing insider dialogue -- a conversation among connoisseurs. '

The Look goes on...

12. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

That last sentence rings so true. Nothing better than just one or two folks getting what it is you're putting down.

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

There is definitely a subcultural feel to what I see online, a sense of a belonging outside of the usual vectors of belonging - family, work, class, nation, etc. The menswear end of things seems to be based upon adoption of all sorts of influences whereas what I would see as the look is based largely upon their rejection, a much deeper subcultural mark. Maybe we should have a tattoo?

[​IMG]

(teenage skinhead girl sweetheart 30 years on!)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ when I say rejection I mean a more limited and discriminating adoption of influences into the look (there are isolated instances of Americana, Ivy, Italian, etc but the mass of source items is forever rejected).

I think this feeds into another dimension/continuum, that the menswear end of things is in a sense more informal due to its great turnover of influences when compared to a more formal, limited look. And with that I am off back to sleep.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  15. Mr Knightley

I joined Ask Andy in Jan 2006 and to quote cocostella above it did feel like 'Nothing better than just one or two folks getting what it is you're putting down' . I met one or two guys that shared my particular interest and views and we became quite matey over the next couple of years.

But I think we have moved over the last 7 or 8 years from a tiny niche of forumites to a great mass of men jumping on the bandwagon. Some by their own admission had no interest in clothes at all until a certain point in their lives. So they have no yardstick and the idea of rejection is foreign to them. So, like everything else it becomes mainstream. All very familiar.