• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Looks so much nicer than the matalan one I bought, which got little wear before I gave it away.

Funny, because when i saw it i was thinking about the 'surfer jackets'. Yes it is a nice and simple item really, in lightweight cotton, comfy and perfect for spring/summer.

The Sand/Beige version

JW1.jpg

JW2.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also trying to leave messages at other J Press stores in case they have info. Or are they all out of commission, too?

No; only the Cambridge one. Rumor has it that they’re looking for a location in Boston proper.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Received a promotional email from FP.
'The British Subcultural Uniform'.
Looks familiar (Monkey Boots included).
Brit subcultural uniform.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a look at the plain red, not really the bright red i remember (the one i had in 1980), but nice...
I really like the FP x Cox Monkey boots. Now would i wear them ?

Go on! The red is a bit... red, maybe it's just how it's rendered, but the colour combination is just like an old one of mine

I am being tempted on a couple of others...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking today about @Thin White Duke and his recent outfit including the Adidas sneakers. I spotted the good Inspector on another thread in New Balance trainers. I was out and about in these Lanvin numbers at the weekend:

Lanvin Missoni.JPG

Trainers were never part of the Look c. 1968 - 70 (not in my area anyway) but have featured in many movements that are closely? related - the mid-60's Mods, the Casuals, the later Britpop crowd.

So, today which, if any, sneaker / trainer styles or makes do we consider consistent with moving the Look on?

BTW, why did I chose Lanvin? I was seduced by this article a year or so ago and liked the way the heritage was depicted:
http://www.keikari.com/english/anatomy-and-review-of-lanvin-sneakers/

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking today about @Thin White Duke and his recent outfit including the Adidas sneakers. I spotted the good Inspector on another thread in New Balance trainers. I was out and about in these Lanvin numbers at the weekend:

View attachment 1150556

Trainers were never part of the Look c. 1968 - 70 (not in my area anyway) but have featured in many movements that are closely? related - the mid-60's Mods, the Casuals, the later Britpop crowd.

So, today which, if any, sneaker / trainer styles or makes do we consider consistent with moving the Look on?

BTW, why did I chose Lanvin? I was seduced by this article a year or so ago and liked the way the heritage was depicted:

I hate footwear with those thick white soles. You see lots of people who are old enough to know better wearing them nowadays. Football pundits, football crowds, the fat bloke in drainpipes and a black T shirt in my local Wetherspoon. I could go on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1150556

It’s an interesting question Mr. K.
I did a post about this some time ago.
There’s not a lot of evidence of the original early Mods wearing trainers but it is out there, including a photo of two lads on scooters outside The Scene in Ham Yard.
Gazelles and Stan Smiths were invented in the early sixties but probably not available in the austere pre EU England. I believe that I f they had been the Mods would have jumped on them as it was common for them to appropriate sportwear into non sports outfits.

So most of my non sporting trainers (they used to get called ‘leisure shoes’ in the very late seventies) are variations on Gazelles, Stan Smiths and Sambas. I’m sick to death of seeing those Common Projects shoes. Almost $400 for an uglier version of ripoff Stan Smiths. I got some ginger suede Adidas Cote which I like - they’re the same shape as Stan Smiths but with a brown gum sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads