1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Yep agree with that. There were Brooks Brothers in Paris, but they closed several years ago.
    The only time i saw Jpress shops was in Japan (where all 'Ivy' brands are quite popular). Lovely stuff really.

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Sounds really good, too bad you can't take a picture. The entries so far are not that great TBH.

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Lots of discussion about blazers lately - that and the current FC encouraged me to wear my other blazer yesterday. I am now inclined to enter this one for the Challenge but would be interested in your comments:)

Bespoke blazer in what my tailor called a 'true navy' and bespoke worsted flannel trousers in Brook Taverner cloth.

Poss FC Uniform.JPG

Poss FC Uniform pose (2).JPG

4. Mr Knightley

Yes, have a go @cerneabbas No need for an iPhone - just get your good lady to take a few pictures:)

Inspector, thanks for your kind comments about my 'first attempt'. Still deciding...

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

This is very nice too, but i think i preferred the first try/attempt, probably because of the cardigan color…
    Now this is personal preference !
    The second try, without cardigan, would be perfect IMO.
    Not totally sure about the Weejuns… Brogues ?

6. Mr Knightley

Yes could have gone with brogues or my suede plains and did get both out to compare...

It’s good to have feedback on this ‘dummy run ‘. Thanks mate.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Comparing again the two attempts i really prefer the first one. I think the photography is better and the outfit works better with the loafers. Cant explain why!

8. Mr Knightley

The light was certainly better last week. The loafers were better too - the starting price for those Mr P x Bass Horween jobs was about £300.

9. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

My first ever custom commission was a MTM from Brooks Bros when I didn’t know much about the process. They did a crap job. Surgeons’ cuffs and sleeves too long. It’s a heavyweight wool that doesn’t get out much these days. It’s a three patch and I bought it with the specific purpose of putting my sterling silver bullion wire ‘discobolus’ badge on the pocket from my time at Carnegie Leeds.

My mentor / professor there was a great bloke and I kept in contact with him over the years. He even came over for our wedding in 2012 but sadly died from cancer a couple of years later. When I told him I was getting a blazer made he sent me his silver buttons from his own moth eaten blazer, also stamped with the discobolus.

So in memory of the ol’ fella I really should get those sleeves adjusted and get it on more frequently. As a result I’m not averse to metal buttons but much prefer more demure pewter / silver than brassy gold.

10. Mr Knightley

These are the Benson & Clegg Fleur-de-Lys buttons I bought. They are less shiny and less 'gold-looking' than in this image but I shall certainly hang on until the spring as they do feel a bit too bright for dull winter days...

BB463_-_Benson_And_Clegg_Domed_Fleur_De_Lys_Gilt_Blazerx.jpg

11. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

You don’t look like a security guard. So that is half the battle.

12. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

@Clouseau they have not given up since 1815!

13. Mr Knightley

Never give up - well we might drop Brexit...

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I have to say the Sans-culotte in me always wake up when i hear fleur de lys, but of course in Mr K's British context it doesn't have the same connotation… :-D
    (On a side note @am55 i probably already told you i was raised in an environment full of drawings and portraits of Bonaparte…)

15. Mr Knightley

I'll take that as a compliment, sir!

But, I see some posters are deliberately trying to conjure up a security guard look-alike for their entries.