1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

The red and yellow in the background is interesting - like the bottom of a McDonald’s arch.

Metal buttons on blazers don’t bother me. I was thinking of putting them on a Hardy and Johnson Ivy flannel blazer, though I never got round to it. They don’t look out of place at golf clubs. I have also worn a blazer to Lords and The Oval though most spectators are casually dressed except for MCC members.

Blazers with shiny buttons had a phase of being popular in the sixties at dancehalls though.

Maybe the look goes on but the people change?

2. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

J. Press is having a pretty impressive sale right now, mostly 3B/single vent:
    https://jpressonline.com/search?q=Blazer&type=product

And there’s O’Connell’s. Both excellent brands, and these days Brooks is a pale imitation of its former self anyways. I’d go for the J. Press ones, as they’re a better value while on sale.
    http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Blazers/

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

As I bought the jacket from a charity shop, although it was virtually unworn, it didn’t have the original tags. I would say it is a very dark navy. Put it next to my ‘true’ navy blazer and it looks nearly black but next to my dinner jacket it looks navy...

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

By the way the red and yellow structures are part of a ‘woodland colours ‘ garden near to my office.

5. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

Sounds like the architect was inspired by the "children's garden" on Corbusier's Unite d'Habitation...
    A happy healthy French childhood courtesy of Corbu:

upload_2019-2-10_22-15-16.png

6. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

Good value on Press blazers. O’ Connell always seem expensive even on sale items.

7. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

Yes, J. Press’s sale is pretty great at the moment; I wish the Cambridge shop hadn’t closed last year.
    Theirs and O’C’s construction is excellent, usually made by Southwick. You can’t lose with either brand(except your hard-earned).
    I have blazers by both companies, and their construction is miles better than today’s BBros. I dig their fit, too.
    People here would provably go for the Jpress “modern” fit, as it’s more shaped than their traditional undarted models.

8. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

So that's three of us. I didn't like the buttons (too golden), the material (too coarse) or the fit (too bloody long). Any advance on that...?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

9. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

Maybe Mr K is having a cigarette after serving Tibor some fries?

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

The JPress sales is impressive indeed, great jackets. I just regret they don't have a shop here, as it would be pretty risky to order one from USA, as you have to pay quite a lot for postage, custom, etc, and i have no idea of their fit. As you know i have often a length problem…
    I suppose the "modern" fit is a sacrilege for Ivy traditionalists, who only wear undarted models ?

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

I like the Blazer MrK and the whole look is good,years ago I always wore black shoes with grey trousers but a good few years ago I noticed that you wore brown and I have done so quite often since.

Thanks for the Loake info,I hadn't thought of Timpsons,I will have a look.

12. cerneabbas

Thank you for the offer but I don't have an iPhone and to be honest I don't really want to join the Challenges.
    My take on the Navy Blazer/Grey trousers look would be
    Cordings Shetland 3 button Blazer (same as the Inspectors but in Navy)
    Light blue OCBD or maybe a white poplin BD
    Silk paisley tie (got a really colourful Daks one on Ebay recently)
    Grey wool flat front trousers (M&S)
    Heschung Crocus in very dark brown

13. cerneabbas

I remember Blazers with shiny metal buttons being popular in about 70/71 here and again 83/84ish, they do look a bit too ex serviceman/bowling club now,I just find the Pewter buttons a bit less 'in your face'....
    You're probably right I have changed,no longer so loud (dress wise) I remember in the mid late 70s going through a fluorescent sock phase....even my Argyle ones don't get worn much,only when I need to inject some colour into things.

14. cerneabbas

The price ?

I am still a bit raw about a recent experience with those Blazers.
    I really fancied one since you put the picture up some time ago,a couple of months ago I got all excited when one came up on Ebay,new with tags £100 !!!! alas it was a 42" and I usually need a 44".
    Fast forward to the winter sales and I step into Cordings and ask to try on the 44", the gent serving me says " you look like a 42" to me" well I try on the 44" not to great a fit but the 42" is perfect !!!! anyway I bought the Shetland one but I check Ebay every day to see if the Serge one comes back on as I don't think that it sold.

15. cerneabbas

Would be good to have a J Press shop in London,fit/sizing are the big issues when buying online.