1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

The point was a half-remembered phrase a while back about something being outside the look. It seemed to me that while some of us dressed in late 60s style at one time it was no longer a defining aspect. I am not having a pop at you or denim.

2. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior Member

Long-haired sixties fashion is also a mystery to me. Various band T shirts etc. That combined with still enjoying vinyl records that I vaguely remember from decades ago when I was at school I find a bit puzzling, to say the least.

3. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

My style is far from most of what is on this thread (think cross between toff, frog and "new world new money") but I keep coming back because it has backbone and individualism with excellent manners. There is something special about it and I can't say what, not being an "insider" but I'm happy the inspector told me to check it out. It's just a nice thread. That posters interpret it in such a varied way is part of the charm.

4. am55

1790:
    upload_2019-2-7_17-11-9.png

1970:
    upload_2019-2-7_17-12-1.png

Plus ca change...

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Very nicely put!

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

MrK, if you haven't had the buttons changed on the Blazer yet a before and after picture would be interesting imo.
    I liked the Navy serge Blazer in Cordings but the shiny buttons put me off,as its an expensive Blazer anyway I didn't fancy the extra expense of buying new buttons.
    I like the idea of Pewter buttons, a bit more subdued than the gold or silver ones.

8. cerneabbas

Has anyone ever sent a pair of Loake shoes back to Loake for resoling ? if so how do you go about it.
    I have a pair of black Loake brogue boots but as they are leather soled I rarely wear them as I prefer my Dainite soled boots.
    I am thinking about sending them to Loake to have the sole replaced with Dainite,the other option is to take them to a local shoe repairer and have either a rubber sole or a treaded Commando type sole put on them.

9. cerneabbas

I quite like the Navy Blazer/Grey trousers/shirt&tie look,could make it more interesting with a striped shirt or check trousers or patterned tie.
    Various different types of shoes could dress it up (Plains ?) or down (Loafers?).
    I just had a look at the Challenge,lots of bitching and not many entries,I am not tempted to join in over there.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I didn't like the material much, and the shiny buttons put me off indeed, furthermore as they have 'Cordings' written down.

The Tweed Blazer is better value IMO, as the Shetland Tweed is really beautiful.

A traditional navy blazer with silver buttons that ticks all the boxes (single vent, 3B…) seems like a difficult search. Even Brooks Brothers contemporary offer is not satisfying, while it is supposed to be one of their classics.

11. Mr Knightley

Yes, I sent a pair of Oxford semi brogues back to Loake a couple of years ago. I did it via a local shop that sells Loakes.

I remember it was fairly painless and reasonably priced. £80 seems to ring a bell. The shoes came back superbly presented in a new box with new laces, of course and a little work had been done on the uppers too.

You could have a rubber protective sole added as an alternative if the boots are ok in other respects. My local Timpsons do a very good job.

12. Mr Knightley

76ED802C-130B-4ECD-AA83-EF5E72D68A9A.jpeg A95D1C40-5949-4606-A32D-B56D9992F49B.jpeg
    Two pictures taken last week ‘before’. May leave it until the spring to switch.

Actually, I had thought about entering this outfit in the current FC. Do you think it’s worth it? Thanks

13. am55

See, this cultural degradation slowly killing the forum annoys me. So, I promise that if you enter I will vote for you regardless of your fit, and "like" your post. You're guaranteed support! And I'm quite interested in seeing the TLGO interpretation of the "SF uniform"...

14. am55

Yes! It's a refreshing change from what is currently up. I also think the love of paisley whilst not entirely the prerogative of SF members, is very much an SF "thing" so the fit is quite relevant if we're talking about the "SF" uniform as opposed to merely the "American security guard".

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Totally worth it Mr K... ☺
    The jacket looks Black, or is it a dark Navy ?