• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sent a pair of Loake shoes back to Loake for resoling ? if so how do you go about it.
I have a pair of black Loake brogue boots but as they are leather soled I rarely wear them as I prefer my Dainite soled boots.
I am thinking about sending them to Loake to have the sole replaced with Dainite,the other option is to take them to a local shoe repairer and have either a rubber sole or a treaded Commando type sole put on them.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new Friday Challenge is up ! This time i won't participate but will watch with interest, especially if some posters from TLGO are 'in'…

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ar-uniform-2-15-19.642234/page-4#post-9646719

:lurk:
I quite like the Navy Blazer/Grey trousers/shirt&tie look,could make it more interesting with a striped shirt or check trousers or patterned tie.
Various different types of shoes could dress it up (Plains ?) or down (Loafers?).
I just had a look at the Challenge,lots of bitching and not many entries,I am not tempted to join in over there.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
MrK, if you haven't had the buttons changed on the Blazer yet a before and after picture would be interesting imo.
I liked the Navy serge Blazer in Cordings but the shiny buttons put me off,as its an expensive Blazer anyway I didn't fancy the extra expense of buying new buttons.
I like the idea of Pewter buttons, a bit more subdued than the gold or silver ones.

I didn't like the material much, and the shiny buttons put me off indeed, furthermore as they have 'Cordings' written down.

The Tweed Blazer is better value IMO, as the Shetland Tweed is really beautiful.

A traditional navy blazer with silver buttons that ticks all the boxes (single vent, 3B…) seems like a difficult search. Even Brooks Brothers contemporary offer is not satisfying, while it is supposed to be one of their classics.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sent a pair of Loake shoes back to Loake for resoling ? if so how do you go about it.
I have a pair of black Loake brogue boots but as they are leather soled I rarely wear them as I prefer my Dainite soled boots.
I am thinking about sending them to Loake to have the sole replaced with Dainite,the other option is to take them to a local shoe repairer and have either a rubber sole or a treaded Commando type sole put on them.
Yes, I sent a pair of Oxford semi brogues back to Loake a couple of years ago. I did it via a local shop that sells Loakes.

I remember it was fairly painless and reasonably priced. £80 seems to ring a bell. The shoes came back superbly presented in a new box with new laces, of course and a little work had been done on the uppers too.

You could have a rubber protective sole added as an alternative if the boots are ok in other respects. My local Timpsons do a very good job.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
76ED802C-130B-4ECD-AA83-EF5E72D68A9A.jpeg A95D1C40-5949-4606-A32D-B56D9992F49B.jpeg
MrK, if you haven't had the buttons changed on the Blazer yet a before and after picture would be interesting imo.
I liked the Navy serge Blazer in Cordings but the shiny buttons put me off,as its an expensive Blazer anyway I didn't fancy the extra expense of buying new buttons.
I like the idea of Pewter buttons, a bit more subdued than the gold or silver ones.

Two pictures taken last week ‘before’. May leave it until the spring to switch.

Actually, I had thought about entering this outfit in the current FC. Do you think it’s worth it? Thanks

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a look at the Challenge, lots of bitching and not many entries,I am not tempted to join in over there.
See, this cultural degradation slowly killing the forum annoys me. So, I promise that if you enter I will vote for you regardless of your fit, and "like" your post. You're guaranteed support! And I'm quite interested in seeing the TLGO interpretation of the "SF uniform"...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I had thought about entering this outfit in the current FC. Do you think it’s worth it? Thanks
Yes! It's a refreshing change from what is currently up. I also think the love of paisley whilst not entirely the prerogative of SF members, is very much an SF "thing" so the fit is quite relevant if we're talking about the "SF" uniform as opposed to merely the "American security guard".

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The red and yellow in the background is interesting - like the bottom of a McDonald’s arch.

Metal buttons on blazers don’t bother me. I was thinking of putting them on a Hardy and Johnson Ivy flannel blazer, though I never got round to it. They don’t look out of place at golf clubs. I have also worn a blazer to Lords and The Oval though most spectators are casually dressed except for MCC members.

Blazers with shiny buttons had a phase of being popular in the sixties at dancehalls though.

Maybe the look goes on but the people change?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the material much, and the shiny buttons put me off indeed, furthermore as they have 'Cordings' written down.

The Tweed Blazer is better value IMO, as the Shetland Tweed is really beautiful.

A traditional navy blazer with silver buttons that ticks all the boxes (single vent, 3B…) seems like a difficult search. Even Brooks Brothers contemporary offer is not satisfying, while it is supposed to be one of their classics.

J. Press is having a pretty impressive sale right now, mostly 3B/single vent:
https://jpressonline.com/search?q=Blazer&type=product

And there’s O’Connell’s. Both excellent brands, and these days Brooks is a pale imitation of its former self anyways. I’d go for the J. Press ones, as they’re a better value while on sale.
http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Blazers/

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen!

As I bought the jacket from a charity shop, although it was virtually unworn, it didn’t have the original tags. I would say it is a very dark navy. Put it next to my ‘true’ navy blazer and it looks nearly black but next to my dinner jacket it looks navy...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good value on Press blazers. O’ Connell always seem expensive even on sale items.

Yes, J. Press’s sale is pretty great at the moment; I wish the Cambridge shop hadn’t closed last year.
Theirs and O’C’s construction is excellent, usually made by Southwick. You can’t lose with either brand(except your hard-earned).
I have blazers by both companies, and their construction is miles better than today’s BBros. I dig their fit, too.
People here would provably go for the Jpress “modern” fit, as it’s more shaped than their traditional undarted models.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads