1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

That look is a very old school English one and hard to pull-off. It seems to demand the most exquisite quality and cut - unless you want to look like the good ole Geography teacher:smile:

2. Mr Knightley

Just looking back at pics of my lighter brown tweed jacket and the trou I have paired it with and IMO the grey flannel and cords seem to play the best supporting roles:

Mulb JS Sitting.JPG

Mulb woods braces (2).JPG

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Yes it works well, even if your jacket is of a much lighter color.
    i am sure my new Shetland Blazer will work well with my Navy LVC Cords though...

4. Mr Knightley

I am sure it will, Monsieur. Of course, no navy odd trousers (as cov hints) are welcome around here! But 'we' know better:-D

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Mr K, if i had to follow SF rules you would see me with a Barbour over a checked suit with very wide lapels (where i could land a plane) and some horrid oxfords with a mirror polish. Of course in a myriad of terrible colors.
    It will never happen.

6. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Belated Happy New Year folks....
    Nice jacket inspector.I would pr it with some nicely worn in,good quality jeans or for a bolder look ,orange moleskins would be my choice !

7. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

D0AB636D-35D4-4D51-9841-A20442726648.jpeg 4127EF11-1EF6-4498-BB09-CCE99ACD6CD5.jpeg

Picking up on recent activity over the road on m2s.....
    I just used an Xmas gift card at Hamilton Shirts for a Customised Lyle Lovett collection piece.
    I’ve collected quite a few Western shirts over the years and this will be the first with a spread collar,merging a touch of the City with heafty dose of Texas.
    I’ve mention my penchant for Western shirts before and the association with m2s is documented.Coincidentally ,I was pondering this morning over how some Styles can worn successfully throuout adult life without ridicule or embarrassment,when appropriate.
    Western wear ticks the box imo.Hells Angel is the other tha sprung to mind.
    Straight outta Texas.

8. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Cossacks better stay out of Texas - that’s strictly Bandido territory!

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

@Gsvs5 , +1 for the quality jeans but i will pass the orange moleskin.
    Not really sure denim shirts or Angels have something to do with TLGO TBH…
    We don't mix apples and oranges :) anymore.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 10:23 PM

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Faut croire. :-D

11. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Just giving examples of looks that have stood the test of time and are acceptable well into mature years.
    Neither in total are for me,but unlike a 60+ skinhead,still are convincing and do not imo appear as charicatures of their youth.

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Just that you were referring to 'M2S' in your post.
    Things are clear now that it is two VERY different threads - one is about nostalgy, more than often with rose tinted glasses (;)), the other one is more contemporary.
    What's discussed in MtS stays on MtS, you know, like Las Vegas… :D

13. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior Member

Who makes these rules? I wasn’t aware of them?

IMO there would be no TLGO without m2s preceding it,thus inevitable that there is some cross reference.The fact that the contributors to both generate the bulk of the content in each,I think supports this.

14. Mr Knightley

15. Mr Knightley

To answer my own question for me there are two stand-out periods apart from the 60s / early 70s.

The 80s - I have mentioned before how I was lucky to see the very beginnings of what would become the Designer Decade as early as 1975 when on a tram in Belgium, sitting opposite a local guy wearing an outfit that would go down well today at Pitti Uomo. He looked so different from anyone I had seen and, when I got home, I set about trying to track down some of the things I had noted him wearing. Some I found in Stanley Adams (then very close to one of our regular meeting places - the Clachan) and one shop that kept things going in that very bleak period of the early to mid-70s and other shops gradually began to appear from around 1976. And, apart from the new styles we were seeing it was the quality and therefore the cost of these new pieces. 'Made in Italy' suddenly became de rigueur.

The inter-war period - so many of the films I grew up with influenced my sense of style long before the Mods arrived on the scene. And as the 60s progressed there was endless discussion, of course, about the parallels with the 1920s.