1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

Sorry all, but as this is the most active thread that I follow, I have an unrelated question: How the hell do I end a classified that hasn't sold?
    :::confused:::

2. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Sales purchase…
    Just made the acquisition of this 'Brown Shetland Tweed Blazer' from Cordings. 3b, single vent.

Cordings.JPG
    cordings 2.JPG
    Cordings 3.JPG

It is really a superb, versatile, and stylish jacket (IMO) : cut, material, length (a 44 long - a perfect fit for me), detailing (numerous pockets, working cuff buttons, etc).
    I only bought it two days ago and wore it with a BD shirt and jeans since, and it looks good (i know that a Tweed jacket and jeans is a nice look that some of you like @Botolph pull up with style - it was his entry in the Jim Ferguson Challenge).
    But i also want to wear it in a more dress-up way. So i was thinking of pairing it with smart chinos, or wool flat front trousers, flannels maybe ?
    What do you think guys ?

3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Excellent Inspector! I think it would work well with mid-grey worsted flannel trousers and tattersall check shirt with a woollen tie.

Very envious!

4. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

I personally like cords with that kind of tweed. Such as the ones you could purchase right opposite in the Cordings basement! Nice thick cords in a dark but interesting colour. Burgundy perhaps, or a darker purpler wine. Very Parisian ;)

5. Mr Knightley

I wanted to share these Loake 771 shoes that I had for Christmas. Not yet worn - what should I pair them with?

59F966E2-80ED-4B0B-BCDF-0A18B886052F.jpeg FF3F721E-1642-4148-9EF6-4DD0C372FD91.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

A really nice jacket Inspector.
    I have admired Cordings online for a while but have never been into the shop before,it really is a brilliant place,very traditional,high quality clothes and good service.
    Maybe some Check trousers ? I have some Navy cavalry twill trousers that would look good with the Brown blazer.
    I really like the M&S Savile Row wool flat front trousers and you can find them on Ebay for a bargain price.
    I think that Khaki chinos would also go with the Brown colour its a very versatile jacket,so difficult to find Single vent jacketrs here now.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Yes of course mon ami ! This is one of the possible looks i forgot to mention, and i intend to wear it with my navy LVC cords sta-prest. I think mid-grey Flannels are a must have too, thanks @Mr Knightley
    And @cerneabbas i retain the cavalry twill idea !

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

For one moment I thought I'd wandered onto the 'Classic Menswear' thread! ;):colgate::stirpot:

9. cerneabbas

The Inspectors Blazer and some Navy wool flat front trousers ?

btw I saw some Tattersall check shirts in a brochure recently,some of them had BD collars which I thought quite an unusual combination,I couldn't make my mind up wheter I liked them or not.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Very nice. I find suede shoes very versatile, can be dressed-up or down.
    I think your suede plains would look perfect in a casual but chic Look, for example smart dark raw jeans, OCBD, a Blazer, Baracuta, or a Mac. (To stay within 'our' style)...

11. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

I think forget about any of that online nonsense that a shirt or tie or trousers or shoes might be 'too city' for it. Citified country is a great and authentic look so why not a navy tie, white shirt, grey trousers or black shoes.

I like the Cordings lining colour, reminds me of @Bela Kun's recent post elsewhere where he talks about a navy suit and maroon hankie, the same colour lining is in their covert coat and is a nice step-down from crombie red.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:17 AM

12. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

Of course i will wear it with a tie. As i said, a very versatile jacket that can be dressed up or down. And i mainly own white shirts (BD mostly but not only), a classic, a favorite, and it goes well with my complexion.
    I really like the lining color and all the details. The devil is in the detail they say, and it is a truly devilish jacket.

14. cerneabbas

I was impressed with the Tweed Covert coat also they had a Moleskin Covert coat but I wasn't to sure about that.

15. Mr Knightley

Ha ha! Has there not always been a degree of 'cross-over'?

@cerneabbas PoloRL do a range of brushed cotton check (some small checks, some larger) in a BD most autumn / winter seasons and, although it's not an obvious combination to us Brits, they do look great. Having said that, I haven't bought one...yet!

Thanks for the ideas about pairing up the Loakes. BTW, on the Loake appreciation thread someone said Loake are no longer going to be selling through other online retailers like Pediwear...