1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. DonkeyJacket1

DonkeyJacket1 Senior Member

The Inspector sounds best

2. am55

am55 Distinguished Member

+1 pour l'Inspecteur

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I don't know if you already watched this interview, some parts seem to me very close to the general idea of 'The Look Goes On'…

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

giphy.gif

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

I confirm he is angry... again ! :-D

6. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

It's all very nebulous this mod/modernism thing, I can't help thinking there has been some ex-post rationalisation along the way. Look what they've done with skinhead for instance, backfilled it with all sorts of present day concerns.

7. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

I’m not sure exactly what point you’re making. I do find it slightly amusing that so many people try so desperately to distance themselves from the title ‘Mod’. Maybe (understandably) they don’t want to be associated with the image of clueless knackers in parkas and Jam shoes? Also there’s some built-in obsolescence in the term ‘Mod’ - the original sixties lads weren’t interested in the past and were concerned (obsessed?) with anything and everything that was new and different and emerging, whereas even though I sorta embrace the term ‘Mod’ for myself just as a general descriptor of my style influences I totally get the irony of my own preferences having roots from fifty and more years in the past!

8. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

Just that it seems a bit mythic to me, a story of how certain totems came to be, an origin legend that doesn't bear close examination. I can just imagine Jimmy in Quadrophenia discussing the modernist philosophical underpinnings as he relaxes in his Eames chair

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

9. Thin White Duke

When I use the term ‘Mod’ in reference to myself it’s just a generic descriptor of where I take my sartorial cues from, not much else. All that crap about the social underpinnings of ‘Modernism’ sounds like that dreadful Richard Weight book, which is not only the worst book on the subject I’ve ever read, it may be among the worst books I’ve ever read in toto. That’s what happens when you let a sociology student loose on a topic about which he clearly has no clue.

10. Thin White Duke

Time for pics ...
    (Details on the blog)

59FDCE69-C665-432D-8137-7C036FB2F48A.jpeg

FD38A235-6A33-497B-99FF-503E8B7E564F.jpeg

11. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

Very sharp, I can never picture copper fitting in but your ensemble proves me way wrong!

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

You're sharp as a stepping razor mate.

I'm like a stepping razor
    Don't you watch my size
    I'm dangerous, dangerous

Peter Tosh

13. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Gotta share that one!

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Inspector

p1.jpg
    This new PRL suede trucker IS NICE !

15. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

I went out to lunch last week with my small team. Knowing that many people in the restaurant would overdo the festive attire, I perhaps made more of a concession to the holiday mood than usual. I wore a rather sudden tie that Jeeves would have burnt as soon as he could get his hands on it.

But it all paled into insignificance alongside blokes in 'Festive jumpers' with long carrot noses dangling from them or matching brightly-coloured, blazer and tie sets with Santa designs and stuff.:butbut:

How festive can you go and still feel you are true to the principles of the Look?

My tie (Valentino):
    New Valentino deets.jpg

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...arting-may-2014.394373/page-3971#post-9576460