1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. covskin

covskin Distinguished Member

Had a google for Loake Waverleys and they look fine if a bit on the rugged side with the soles. I'm trying to resist searching for a pair of Cleav's black pebble-grain Crockett & Jones boots, as seen early on in this thread.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

2. covskin

Great, will look for those CBD outfits. Currently thinking on a grey Italian CBD tie as a change to my usual navy blue ground - grey has a formal daywear feel to it which also makes it suitable, I think.

That sombre City look is pretty much my CBD look, if only there was more tie-wearing going on though. Even tie with top button undone - which, I confess, is my longstanding default mode when wearing a tie. Such sprezz lol!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

3. covskin

Been revisiting some CBD threads and have to say the Americans really don't get it, boring plain ties, brown shoes, bright colour suits and overchecks. It is as if they have no personal history of suit-wearing somehow, or a very different one. Nothing to learn there. Americans I have experienced in a business context in the flesh though, internal auditors and the like, they do seem to get it - a strange disconnect.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Distinguished Member

Hmmm...The Australians and Scandinavians seem to be very much on the up tho'.

5. Mr Knightley

Sprezz indeed! I must say, even though that was my default mode for a year or two in the late 60s, I now keep my top button done up except perhaps on the hottest days when I don't wear a tie.

6. covskin

Suit jacket with jeans. I know we are all thinking Jeremy Clarkson and guts spilling over waistbands but it is also a mod look so is capable of looking good, or at least ok. A real conundrum for the wardrobe minimalists among us looking for crossover opportunities, but not something I have dabbled in myself so I am wondering what the guidelines might be. Jackets of American/Continental silhouette rather than the formality of the English silhouette? Not to be attempted by the over 30s/40s/50s? I think the 'dark pressed denim' type of advice is a red herring by the way, trying too hard to not be denim in a much too matchy way.

Anyway, some nice looks to think about on this thread

http://www.styleforum.net/t/326622/renounced-mc-cbd-in-favor-of-toned-down-sharp-casual

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

7. covskin

^ I am also thinking on boating blazers so I am not sure that I am entirely sane at this point!

8. covskin

It ain't straightforward madras or gingham but it is definitely within the look, whatever it is

http://instagram.com/p/vBhM_oocSw/

I like the simplicity of the fixed width/no overcheck and the colouring reminds me of the patchwork and Solatios colouring that followed on from the first wave of skinhead.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

9. Mr Knightley

Suit jacket and jeans has, thanks in part to the fat-gutted jokers you mention, fallen into disrepute of late. In the late 60s it was certainly a look, especially in late 68 - 69 for me. I tended to wear a navy jacket with jeans that were slightly lighter in colour so a bit like blazer and jeans in a way.

I agree with your suggested 'guidelines' although I do still occasionally wear blazer and jeans today at my ripe old age[​IMG]

Must delve into that thread.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014

10. Mr Knightley

Nice shirt. Yes, it does have that feel to it.

11. Mr Knightley

I have also been wondering what is wrong with many of the looks seen on those threads. There was recently a Friday Challenge on the Classic Menswear board called 'Italian CBD - Classico con Sprezzatura'. Entrants posted some wonderful suits and shoes, etc and most were in keeping with the idea behind the challenge. However, as one member remarked none of them actually managed to look Italian or especially nonchalant - they had the look but not the 'attitude'.

So I was left wondering whether any of us can successfully dress in a 'foreign' manner without looking unnatural - as though we are trying too hard / wearing costume. It seems to confirm that a personal style must evolve over many, many years and cannot simply be achieved by throwing vast sums of money at very beautiful but often unsuitable clothes.

12. covskin

Yep, a monochrome blue look, with dark upper/light lower contrast, is the way to make it work. Can't see a brown or a grey jacket working too well - the single colour unifies the separates. Jeans as the modern flannels/cricket whites? (I'm thinking boating blazers again!)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

Can anyone tell me about the sizing of Fred Perry polo shirts these days ?,I have seen a long sleeve polo on House of Fraser website,I am a 42" chest and I usually find large is ok but some times sizes are a bit "off" for instance I had to buy XL in a Barbour jacket.

Also whilst looking online I came across a pair of Gibsons with apron and split toe as worn back in the day ( as I remember them),on the Office site "Poste August",dont shoot me down if you have seen them and they are [email protected] because I have only seen the pictures and they look good but don't they always ?

14. Mr Knightley

Quote:Good to see you back again mate! I have not been very constant as still trying to understand more about (Italian) CBD and spending a bit of time developing my blog. With regard to FP sizing, my only recent FP purchase is a short sleeve Made in Italy Smedley style polo. I normally take a 40 in polos (large in Polo RL Custom or medium in PRL classic cut). The FP is a 42 chest and feels about right. I have some of their former FP x CDG Shirt polos and they come up pretty small. Must check out those Gibsons...

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Distinguished Member

Thanks Mr Knightley.
    I went to H.o.F and tried on a long sleeve FP in light blue,the large was perfect for me,I did notice that they are slightly shorter than a normal FP though.
    I think that even with all these online bargains you cant beat trying an item on for size,there are so many variations.

I am still looking for a pair of brown or tan plain shoes,I had seen the Barker Nairn online but it looked a bit too "country" for me,however I saw a pair in cedar (tan) in Jones the bootmakers,a very nice looking shoe,just what I was looking for although the leather on the sides seemed a little thin to me but what put me right off was the price £250 !.
    I don't class myself as a tightwad but £250 for Barkers just isn't value for money IMO,thats pretty much double the price of a comparable pair of Loakes but not twice the quality ( again my opinion ),I will be looking for these in the sales.