• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shouldn’t sta pressts be poly cotton, not 100% cotton?
I got some nice ice blue stanpressts from Merc several years ago. High rise too. But I’m pretty sure they changed since then.

Yes but I can do without the permanent press. Just glad to have such a simple and correct pair of trousers in one of the old colours

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Lee 101Z in 19oz. After an initial soak & hang dry, they're so heavy and rigid they literally stand up on their own.

20180502_100025.jpg 20180502_100050.jpg

Bela Kun

Reaction score
This is for real. I left the hanger attached, but they stand up on their own - no trick.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Shouldn’t sta pressts be poly cotton, not 100% cotton?
I got some nice ice blue stanpressts from Merc several years ago. High rise too. But I’m pretty sure they changed since then.

I think the one you are referring too were 100% polyester ? They had a high rise indeed, and the ice blue colour was lighter than the Cordings (and closer to the 80s one).
I have some Merc sta-prest for a few years, the 'Winston', the model following yours. Not as high Rise, but a nice polycotton (60% cotton).

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Got another 2 button suit because why not for occasions, was made in england in the 70s at a good price.

IMG_20180502_144718.jpg

I kind of underestimated the grooviness of the trousers, definitely rocking that disco inferno. I think they will be going to the seamstress when i have the cash. but for now.......The groove goes on?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the one you are referring too were 100% polyester ? They had a high rise indeed, and the ice blue colour was lighter than the Cordings (and closer to the 80s one).
I have some Merc sta-prest for a few years, the 'Winston', the model following yours. Not as high Rise, but a nice polycotton (60% cotton).
No I think mine were named the Lord John model from Merc. I got them in sky blue and a nice dark blue (but not Navy). Definitely poly cotton 65-35. Probably bought around 2011?

I also have them from Relco in light gray and black, just named ‘stay press’ and ‘poly-cotton’ (no percentages).

My other Relcos are PoW and houndstooth, both unfortunately all polyester. The cut is fine but quality not great. Happy to use them for travelling so I at least arrive un-wrinkled!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Good then. I remember i tried some Merc Sta-Prest around 10 years ago and they were 100% polyester, that's why i didn't buy them although they were reasonably well cut...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got another 2 button suit because why not for occasions, was made in england in the 70s at a good price.

View attachment 967171

I kind of underestimated the grooviness of the trousers, definitely rocking that disco inferno. I think they will be going to the seamstress when i have the cash. but for now.......The groove goes on?

That actually looks fairly restrained for a 70s suit, just wear it!

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Heh just realised the turnups are not the posh style tailors do, will do for now tho.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads