• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 882054

Evolution.....

I guess that fella saw Will,went to his Tailor and said
“Just like this,with extra sprinkles please”

I'll park these here, just to help with the creativity

lava-lamp-2.gif

Oil_Wheel_circles.gif

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I think just one 70s thing mixed in with what we wear now could work, just as long as it doesn't affect the overall silhouette - so no flares or kipper ties. Like a pair of those new Solatios and nothing else, or a shirt with a flyaway collar and nothing else, or a stripey tank top and... you get the idea, the nothing else is important with this powerful 70s stuff.

Just realised, this sounds a lot like @Donkey Jacket @MonkeySpanner

Last edited:

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
You know, I think just one 70s thing mixed in with what we wear now could work, just as long as it doesn't affect the overall silhouette - so no flares or kipper ties. Like a pair of those new Solatios and nothing else, or a shirt with a flyaway collar and nothing else, or a stripey tank top and... you get the idea, the nothing else is important with this powerful 70s stuff.

Just realised, this sounds a lot like @Donkey Jacket @MonkeySpanner

Edit* think i read your post wrong

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Tricker's Burgundy Robert Derby shoes + I had the cobbler put Vibram soles on 'em.

I have the Trickers Robert ‘Tramper’ as it was called. In cordovan. Mogano colour. Leather soles have held up well. From the days when retricker had good bargains on eBay. Then they jacked prices up to deter re-sellers. Also have a Trickers Adelaide style.

A lot of other expensive gear on your list. I hope you purchased it in the USA and avoided import charges.

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
Those the slimmer fit ones? im the opposite now, haven't worn levis in a year atleast.

I misspoke, the 36mwz is the slim fit, but mine are the 13mwz. I like the high waist, but I prefer the slimmer leg of the Levi's and more than anything denim that isn't right hand twill just looks "wrong" to me.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Saw someone outside Waterloo Station wearing a PoW check rain mac today. I have no idea whether that's fairly common or some frankenstein anomaly, but I've never seen one before.

The guy was normal, not a 'stylist' or anything - but the coat looked sharp as f**k. Of course, I pretended I hadn't even noticed him.

A cursory search brings up a cheap PoW mac from Asos, but it ain't fly-fronted. Then there's one from Mr Porter, but at $635 (= £475.17) it's a bit out of my range right now...

https://lookastic.com/men/grey-chec...hecked-linen-and-cotton-blend-raincoat-157779

pow check mac.jpg

By the way, it was freezing outside, but they guy didn't seem cold.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you post those Trickers?

Just tried. Will do after.

Rixe sold out of shirts last year while I was hanging out ready to buy one. We were the last stop before they hit L.A. where they were gonna pick up the next batch. I bought an enamel pin (which I never wear) just cos I wanted to support 'em.

Yeah, fantastic band and I've been on the Lion's Law boys forever for a Rixe shirt. Got one off a Spaniard who is "authorized" to make them. Fantastic band... could you post a photo of the enamel badge?

So far this year:
I came up on a lot of shoes this
Vintage Dexter NOS black gunners (eBay)
Vintage Stuart Mcguire oxblood gunners with "cush-n-crepe™" soles (eBay)
GH Bass black Jeremy tassel loafers (Thrift store, gently worn, much more comfortable last than my proper weejuns)
Clark's taupe bucks (discount store steal, 10 USD)
Clark's Bushacre in black
Adidas Dragon in blue (50% off at factory store)
Adidas Hamburg in White ( 50% off at factory store)
Lots of thrift store OCBD's in plain colors and stripes
Bootleg Bull The Buffalos T-shirt<<<<------ #1
Wrangler 36mwz (I'm ready to go back to 501's already)
Levi's white 501CT's
Sage Alpha N3B Slim Fit

My major wishlist right now is:
Striped Yellow OCBD
Striped Green OCBD
Predominately blue Fairisle tank.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly what you're looking for, but these are cheaper than a lot of "premium" branded shirts, and they're custom made.
https://michaelspencer.us/product-category/oxford/
https://www.ratioclothing.com/t/oxford
http://www.johnsimons.co.uk/button-down-shirt-green-stripe/ <---Green uni stripe, might be pinpoint, not the "beefy" oxford you might want. Great shirts, I have the blue ocbd.

As far as Fairisle goes, both Cordings.co.uk and Oconnells.com typically carry those. Unfortunately both sites seem to be out of them. I have a really nice green/brown Fairisle tank from Cordings I got in the spring or summer a few years ago for a great price.

***EDIT*** the Fairisle I have is like the one in my avatar photo... but the one in my pic was got at a Salvation Army I believe.

Trickers 1.JPG

Trickers 2.JPG

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw someone outside Waterloo Station wearing a PoW check rain mac today. I have no idea whether that's fairly common or some egregious frankenstein creation, but I've never seen one before.

The guy was normal, not a 'stylist' or anything - but the coat looked sharp as f**k. Of course, I pretended I hadn't even noticed him.

A cursory search brings up a cheap PoW mac from Asos, but it ain't fly-fronted. Then there's one from Mr Porter, but at $635 (= £475.17) it's a bit out of my range right now...

https://lookastic.com/men/grey-chec...hecked-linen-and-cotton-blend-raincoat-157779

View attachment 882374

By the way, it was freezing outside, but they guy didn't seem cold.

A.P.C. does a nice POW check raincoat. I bought one a few years back but shifted it eventually. Can be really nice with the right gear on, but not very versatile... I'm a big fan of macs, but more of the Harry Palmer style ones.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Trickers Robert ‘Tramper’ as it was called. In cordovan. Mogano colour. Leather soles have held up well. From the days when retricker had good bargains on eBay. Then they jacked prices up to deter re-sellers. Also have a Trickers Adelaide style.

A lot of other expensive gear on your list. I hope you purchased it in the USA and avoided import charges.

Looked at pics of the Tricker's you listed-- Very nice, especially the Robert "Tramper". I got a pair of Roberts in suede at the Bureau in Belfast some years back. Blue repello Suede with brick red soles... kind of like a pair of bucks.
As you can see from my above pictures, I had a cobbler put rubber soles on my Trickers-- they still "walk" and "feel" like leather soles, but without the "slip and fall" or "blow out your back" risks.
As far as the price of the gear, yes I either bought the stuff in person or some mailorder-- I live in the States so none of that nasty VAT and such.

LeviStubbsTears

Reaction score
Just tried. Will do after.

Yeah, fantastic band and I've been on the Lion's Law boys forever for a Rixe shirt. Got one off a Spaniard who is "authorized" to make them. Fantastic band... could you post a photo of the enamel badge?
unnamed-1.jpg

These days I try to restrain myself to a single 1/2" pin if I'm going to wear any. There are a lot of interesting enamel badges being made by people as they are really trendy right now, and I see kids wearing jackets decked out in them like they were trying to meet their minimum 15 pieces of flare. I'm supposed to buy a P200e off of a buddy and I think I'm gonna tac weld it onto the inside of the leg shield. If you haven't already make sure to check out Bromure, guys from Maraboots/Rixe doing what the french do best, melodic saxophone heavy oi.

I really like those Trickers. I'm trying to invest in a pair of goodyear welted rubber soled PTB's after I graduate/pass my boards but I think I'm gonna go with something more affordable, like some dainite or commando soled Loakes (traction will be key).

I'm really interested in giving Ratio a try. I'll probably do a trial order and if I like it try to build my "professional wardrobe" off of them. Not a huge fan of pinpoint oxford, I have a blue pinpoint in the closet that doesn't see much light.

That O'connels fairisle knit looks incredible, but I'm definitely still on a Salvation Army budget until I get done with school.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Can you hear like me the sound of boots coming ?

My favourite version of this classic.

Are you ready for the Third world War ?

MonkeySpanner

Reaction score
I misspoke, the 36mwz is the slim fit, but mine are the 13mwz. I like the high waist, but I prefer the slimmer leg of the Levi's and more than anything denim that isn't right hand twill just looks "wrong" to me.

Actually read the 936 slim fits are similar to 501's but with the same rise, i might give em a try sometime.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
So I picked up my John Simons Harrington from the shop today. Turns out Size M is spot on: roomy, but not baggy or balloon-like - just the way a 'golf jacket' should be. The sleeves and overall length are also good; I can blouse it at the waist no problem. I got one in 'natural' (beige).

The man also talked me into putting down a deposit for a limited run Harrington (12 in each size). Not normally my colour at all, but I couldn't resist once I saw it in the mirror.

20171129_140410.jpg

Dark green with subtle (not vulgar) tonic effect. Indoors maybe closest to bottle green. He took this pic of me outside the shop, so this is the brightest the jacket will look in the sun. The tartan lining is by Burberry.

Slimmer fitting than the JS Harringtons that are available online. That's more than I'd set out to buy really, but the jacket does stand out in real life (more than in the pic), and it won't be back in stock.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads