• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gill and Del Evans in 1969, original Modernists who are still carrying the torch.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember in the heatwave last summer that there was a well off subject debate on shorts and summer apparel on the Mod to Suedehead thread,maybe it would be an interesting topic here ?

Interesting question, no precedent for shorts back then so forces you to think a bit.

Patch madras would look good as shorts, not too overpowering on a smaller garment and a suitably fun context too. Around mid-thigh. Create a backstory of how we all used to make these shorts from old Ben Sherman, Brutus and Jaytex while listening to ska and northern soul through gritted teeth. Make a bundle and retire!

Would be interested to hear any other views on this - I don't wear shorts outside the confines of the house and garden myself. My summer knocking about clothes are old workshirts with tails and collar points cutaway over madras boxer shorts!

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, while I have a few pairs of Oxfords I am not sure if they really comprise part of this elusive 'Look'.

I think they just about make it in, at the blazer and smart trousers end of things. Help to integrate casual and work/formal looks too, which I like.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of shorts, a brief but interesting conversation off a young bloke today. Looking across a park and noting that he could see nobody in shorts he said simply 'people are realising'.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they just about make it in, at the blazer and smart trousers end of things. Help to integrate casual and work/formal looks too, which I like.
After looking at a lot of half brogues oxford and derby,I think that the oxfords look better in that style,I have a pair of Barker Alfreds and they look good with smart trousers,got to say I wouldn't wear oxfords with jeans or cords,generally I prefer derbies.
Google Bermuda shorts and look at the images,just proves that you can intergrate shorts into a smart look.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After looking at a lot of half brogues oxford and derby,I think that the oxfords look better in that style,I have a pair of Barker Alfreds and they look good with smart trousers,got to say I wouldn't wear oxfords with jeans or cords,generally I prefer derbies.
Google Bermuda shorts and look at the images,just proves that you can intergrate shorts into a smart look.

That's certainly a tough look to pull off outside Bermuda-- but by all means lead the pack!
In hot, humid Boston summers I tend to go with either Brooks Brothers lightweight Clark chinos or oxford cloth trousers, that is unless I just give up completely and go with oxford cloth shorts and loafers/boat shoes/plimsols. Shirt optional! :slayer:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ tricky indeed. Someone must look good in shorts!

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back over some old tunes on Youtube it struck me just how much skinhead influence is apparent in this 1985 video of Sade's sweetest taboo. Not just 501s (then making their comeback) but short jeans over boots of some sort with a jean jacket and a bomber jacket of sorts. [VIDEO] [/VIDEO] Silly hats and braces but a great tune and more evocative of those times for me than some third rate Oi! band or ska band. It's so good that skinhead is a look rather than a music.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's certainly a tough look to pull off outside Bermuda-- but by all means lead the pack!
In hot, humid Boston summers I tend to go with either Brooks Brothers lightweight Clark chinos or oxford cloth trousers, that is unless I just give up completely and go with oxford cloth shorts and loafers/boat shoes/plimsols. Shirt optional!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Well the socks arrived today,the sun has been here for a few days,but sourcing navy blue bermudas in a decent material is proving more difficult ( maybe just as well ).

BTW,what does Broadcloth mean when it describes shirt material ?.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Casuals...does any of the clothing worn over the years fit into the look ?.
I watched The Firm ( 2009 version) for the first time on youtube this week,I don't want to critique the film but I think that ( some) of the clothes and style are worth talking about.

For me there was too much of the full tracksuit,and trainers look,but there was quite a bit more,the Pringle ( or suitably expensive alternative) over polo shirt or roll neck worn with cords or jeans and trainers,something like my look in the 80s at football.
Also on display were some nice looking leather bomber jackets,sheepskin coats and a sheepskin lined flying jacket.

The two characters whos clothes I preferred now though were Yeti,who wore different Burberry macs,a tidy looking pullover and trousers,and Trigger who wore leather jackets,pullovers and trousers ( and loafers ) both also wore suits and ties in various scenes.
Now I have had a little look about online and it says that both these characters were wearing Farah hopsack trousers,I never got into Farah then,I just never liked them and I wore jeans or cords instead.
Today I had a look at some Farah trousers,they are still cheap and still man made materials but I am definitely thinking about buying a pair,does any body else like them? or ( more likely )hate them?,and do they fit in with the look at all?.

BTW,I checked out the Pringle jumpers,I know that they were always quite expensive and I know that wool costs have risen but they are mega pricey now,anyway would have to be a bit careful there now I don't want to end up looking like Frank Bough.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Casuals...does any of the clothing worn over the years fit into the look ?.
I watched The Firm ( 2009 version) for the first time on youtube this week,I don't want to critique the film but I think that ( some) of the clothes and style are worth talking about.

The more sporty the look the less well it has aged. Tracksuits are the worst with the golfer stuff like pringle and lyle and scott not far behind. The more anonymous stuff like burberry (it was anonymous back then!) has aged the best I think. Had some farahs myself at some point but don't remember much about them. I always liked the skinhead to casual transitional look of tracksuit top or rollneck* under the ma1 leading on to diadoras or whatever on the feet and lengthening hair as a court date or wedding date approached!

(* tracksuit top or rollneck often 'liberated' from some unfortunate group of casuals!)

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going back over some old tunes on Youtube it struck me just how much skinhead influence is apparent in this 1985 video of Sade's sweetest taboo. Not just 501s (then making their comeback) but short jeans over boots of some sort with a jean jacket and a bomber jacket of sorts. [VIDEO] [/VIDEO] Silly hats and braces but a great tune and more evocative of those times for me than some third rate Oi! band or ska band. It's so good that skinhead is a look rather than a music.
Fantastic. That period was the first time I came alive again after the dead years of the mid to late 70s. Sade sums up that era. She grew up in the 'cultural desert' of Clacton but the girl did well. The stealth skinhead look pops up in the 80s quite a bit - even Mr Armani employed a number of cues including loafers, BDs and his muted palette .

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
For me the Casual look was part of that 'unbroken circle' I mentioned at the start of the thread. Yes, it does fit although, as has been said, some of the more extreme pieces wouldn't work well today. Farah trousers - I had a black pair and always thought they were one of the best fitting and feeling pairs of trou I have had - despite or perhaps because of the man-made fibre! Pringle sometimes pops up at TK Maxx - I have a pale lemon merino wool sleeveless jumper which I love. Definitely part of the Look.

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I have always liked the "frogs mouth" pocket on a flat front trouser.I had some nice Italian heavy Navy wool,and lightweight Poplin white ones from Reiss in the mid 80's.Completely different cut to the Farrah though and all natural fabric I believe.You used to be able to find a similar cut in Moleskin,but they seem to have disappeared.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads