Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I spoke to a lady running a shoe shop about something similar last week,whilst watching the GF trying on yet another pair of sandals !
    We agreed that the more you have the more difficult it can become to decide on what to wear with what ? if you see my point.

Maybe the other thing to take into consideration is the quick "fix" that some people get from buying something new,they don't consider how long it will last,in fact they probably wouldn't want it to last too long so that they can go out and buy something else ?.

Younger people who have been brought up with cheap disposable fashion clothes and shoes have little idea or interest in buying quality longer wearing items,and the thought of having shoes repaired or clothes altered is a totally alien concept to most.

2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Just stumbled upon this thread as I was reading the "Mod to Suedehead" thread and it had been mentioned. I'm hoping my non-sequiturs and general mucking around("contributions"[​IMG]) will be more appropriate on this thread as it's more of my era.

Excellent so far, let's keep it up! I'll be throwing my Septic-centric opinion around soon.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Welcome aboard mate,I know that your posts will be enjoyed here.

BTW,I know that you love brogues,have you ever seen the J M Weston 590 ?,I saw it on their website yesterday fantastic looking shoe IMO.

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:All good points above and from covskin. When we see people who look 'just right' on almost all occasions, we assume they have a sort of effortless style. Whatever they grab from their wardrobe just seems to work. I don't believe there is any such thing. I believe such people have a highly developed sense of who they are and how they want to look and spend a good deal of time considering what they are going to buy before they buy it. Their important decisions are all made in the shop, not when getting dressed in the morning. The other point about having fewer, better quality items is that you considerably reduce the chances of a 'wardrobe malfunction'. The difficulty can come at this time of year when even the most extensive wardrobe is challenged due to the warm days and cool nights and fluctuations in the weather. A capsule wardrobe will often struggle at such times. It's a difficult balancing act, I think.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Thanks Cern...

Had a peek, they look to be built like Sherman tanks! Monstrous soles. Dead cool. Not strictly "skinhead" like the other thread, but defo have a serious appeal to them with that triple sole.

7. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

People like Beckham have style(fashion?) consultants doing the shopping for them. They get the hippest, "cutting-edge" stuff that's fashionable at the moment, all in his size. My wife's good friend who works in Manhattan as an attorney doesn't have time to shop, and to my surprise and dismay told me that she uses one of these people. They go clothes shopping for her and buy all her-sized stuff, full ensembles/outfits and all. From the standpoint that I'm from, being subculture-based since I was about thirteen, this is a concept completely alien to my sensibilities --and I'm sure most on this board's as well-- but it is a reality and probably contributes in some way to people like D. Beckham's fashion knob-headedness.

It just reinforces the old adages, "fashion is fleeting; style is eternal", and "it's not(necessarily) what you wear, but how you wear it"

So in the spirit of the look going on and all, has anybody tried the Kamakura shirts? They wear like iron, and have a nice collar roll. Made in Japan. Granted, no locker loop or back-of-the-collar button, but they offer slim fit to normal fit, and in real sizes, not just S, M, L, XL. And no, I'm not on commission[​IMG]

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes and all the stitching,definitely serious soles,triple thicknes imagine breaking them in !,BTW here in Bristol I think I saw more brogues that were not longwings 69 to 71,maybe that's why I like both and the half brogues too.

Since Clouseau got me into Paraboot I have been looking more at Continental shoes and clothes,theres some very tidy and good quality apparel IMO ( not just French or Italian ) of course whether it fits into the look is a different subject,but its how we as individuals interprate it for our personal style that counts I think.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have heard of these professional fashion consultants who shop for and dress people,incredible but I suppose some people haven't got time or don't like to shop,or just haven't got a clue?.

Some years ago before I ditched the TV,there was a programme called Trinny and Susannah,two women who remodelled people clothes wise in half an hour,the "victims" came across as not having a clue about style,the experts would tell them things like this suit makes your short fat body look like a dustbin,but if you wear this you will look like Jams Bond etc etc.
    The sad thing is that looking around there really is a need for some kind of advice for people,not Trinny and Susannah though.

You make a very valid point about sizes,they just vary so much,in a world where real shops are closing down and a lot of shopping is done online proper sizing is an issue.

10. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

About 12yrs ago the nation seemed gripped by 40 yr old men wearing "clam diggers".
    It was as if a nation who were uncomfortable wearing shorts were suddenly liberated by something so ridiculous,it was beyond funny.
    Even the youngest children were forced into them.Clearly there is a need for "stylists" as so many people struggle and don't know when to just say no to fashion....even mature Men.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes I agree some people will just jump on the bandwagon and wear anything that is "in fashion",I don't think that they even have to like it themselves !.

I think that this summer we will be seeing the slim jeans with turn ups just under the knee,another ugly trend IMO.

A few pages back I suggested the Royal navy tropical look, shorts and knee length socks,little did I realise that this is the inspiration for Bermuda shorts and the long socks worn with them,I think that's what I will go for this summer worn with a linen shirt or short sleeve button down.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Mr Knightley.
    I think that you mentioned versatility in one post ( that I cant find ).

I have been considering the idea of less clothes / better quality,and versatile items would seem to be a key factor ( IMO).

Many years ago I had a Chambray button down shirt,and I am now looking for another one,on a warm day you can wear it on its own with cords or jeans with casual shoes or even trainers, or perhaps navy blue trousers and smarter shoes,if its cooler you could wear it under a Harrington or a blazer,I think that's quite versatile for one item.

In the same way perhaps Derby / Blucher shoes are more versatile than Oxfords ?,the right colour Derby brogue for instance could be worn with quite casual clothes or when dressed more formally I think.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Botolph.
    I have had a look at the Kamakura wesite,some seriously good looking shirts on there,I was impressed with the BD linen shirts too ( they also had linen cutaway collars ) and the knitted BDs in polo shirt material,I thought that they would make a change from my long sleeve polo shirts in cooler weather.

The only negative point for me would be what import duty I would be charged in the UK,I know from reading on non-style related sites that people do get charged on even small items making them quite expensive here,I guess that you don't need any lessons on the unfairness of British taxes ?.

14. covskin

covskin Senior member

I have a pair of black Alfred Sargent Ouse (plain toe 'naval oxfords') for work/formal, would not wear them without a trouser crease - they just look wrong, too delicate.

I have always thought lacing is where the English brogue oxford fails - the oxford lacing seems too formal for the brogueing. A country-day-formal shoe I think, for wearing with an outfit like that worn by Ralph in the Fast Show (what is that outfit even called?).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

15. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I have said on the other thread I recall that during the late 60s the Oxford style of shoe with its closed lacing was seen as too formal / staid to fit in with the Look. I think I am right in saying that it was not until the 80s that the Oxford began to stage a comeback.

Even today, like you I struggle to really enjoy wearing an Oxford with anything remotely casual. I suppose a brown semi brogue like the Church's Diplomat might work with cords and chinos but not jeans IMO.

So, while I have a few pairs of Oxfords I am not sure if they really comprise part of this elusive 'Look'.