1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The name sounds familiar Mr Knightley,interesting to find something vintage and a bit out of the ordinary.
    I had a look on E bay and there are several coats and some advertisements from the 50s and 60s.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have been looking for a pair of boots that dont look like work boots,DMs or army boots.
    I found the Mephisto Fredrick online and decided to try them,i really like them,very light and well made,obviously not everyones cup of tea but they are very comfortable,they will only be worn with jeans and will replace trainers except in very warm weather.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Any pics @cerneabbas ?

Boots are top of my wish list at the moment.

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I had a look at a few pairs of Chinos following the recent discussion,nothing wrong with them but I decided not to buy any as I know that I wouldnt wear them.
    So I am looking for some flat front wool trousers and finding it difficult to find any decent quality plain ones,I remember Botolph recommending Brooks Brothers trousers but they are more than twice the price (almost 3 times) in the UK and only available in London or Bicester.

Interested to know which trousers the blokes on here recommend ?

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Sorry MrK...they are pictured on the Pediwear site,have a look I would be interested in your thoughts.

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

They sort of look like a monkey boot with an updates look, pretty nice and not what I excpected when you mentioned the brand. . I know Mephisto are EXCELLENT, comfortable shoes-- I have a pair of the very ugly Mephisto Rainbow shoes which are like walking on clouds.

1 person likes this.
  7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Funny you mention Monkey boots,i saw PressureDrop on saturday and mentioned these as kind of updated Monkey boots,we were both Monkey boot wearers in the 70s.
    I would describe these as Monkey boot x sneakers.
    As you say Mephisto have a reputation for comfort, I cryed when I had to take these off to go to bed !

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr Knightley

Yes, monkey boots was what I thought of too! I think I said before that I had my eyes opened to Mephisto when I was in a shop in Washington DC last autumn. Some great styles that you never see here but some were over $400 I recall.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

These Mephisto are much more comfortable than Monkey boots,apparently Mephisto have some kind of air sole, much better made too in fact they are good quality shoes,ok Monkey boots were cheap.

I think that they will have been $400 in Washington because they were imported the same as American made shoes and clothes are expensive here,I got the Fredricks for £140 including postage and I think that they were a good buy at that price.

10. Mr Knightley

Good price, I agree. Are they made in France / Germany?

1 person likes this.
  11. covskin

covskin Senior member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

They are a French firm,I cant find a Made in France or otherwise marking on them, they do seem like French made quality like Paraboot and Heschung.

1 person likes this.
  13. covskin

covskin Senior member

...maybe we could 'brainstorm' a brand name that epitomises the look, go for the 'low-hanging fruit' then 'run it up the flagpole', etc

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

They used to be only made in France, in Alsace (and they were first popular in Germany), but as they have been very successful they had to open a second factory in Portugal in the 90s. Not impossible there are some others now as they make 20000 pairs/day, but if it's the case they don't advertise it..
    Apparently the more expensive models are exclusively made in France.

http://www.lsa-conso.fr/mephisto-cinquante-ans-de-confort,230064

1 person likes this.
  15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Streetlook ?

16. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Well, Wednesday is charity shop day, and today I picked up a really nice bottle-green lambswool crew-neck by Johnstons of Elgin.

Lousy pic, taken on my phone, doesn't do it justice.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. covskin

covskin Senior member

Resort
    (resort-wear, resort to, last resort)
    Green & Pleasant
    (typical old-established name format)
    (proper mods, after ponces, before hippies, LVC)
    MIL
    (military surplus, mil patch, MA1, millets)

So Resort could be the name of a shop where you buy a Green & Pleasant tailored dogtooth jacket, a 1966 polo, etc. Now if I could come up with one word inspired by these four then that could be it. Just some idle fun!

18. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Plenty of fun to be had with acronyms. I knew a few lads who worked for Wimpey the bulders.
    Their logo on the back of donkey jackets would sometimes be altered with felt tip to read We Import More Paddies Every Year.[​IMG]

19. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Green & Pleasant would be the obvious choice for this imaginary company. It hearkens to a golden past, and has mildy patriotic overtones. Simple, obvious, but probably not used yet.

I always liked:
    Neat'n'Clean (the essence of the aesthetic?)
    Young Idea (mod revival, the Jam inspired)

1 person likes this.
  20. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

I've got a very nice olive single-breasted Driway raincoat that I picked up in a charity shop in Crystal Palace. Its a very good fit for a British raincoat, which I find are sometimes boxier than their vintage American London Fog counterparts. Mine has snaps in the lining, making me think that it originally came with a removable winter lining. Have been scouring eBay for another one in my size since.