1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yes, in 1967 up North. It was very much a minority in surfer jackets, though. The majority were navy with plain navy cuffs, next ice blue with navy cuffs (similar to the Beach Boys' pic), and last red with navy cuffs.

But no matter what impression I give, I don't follow a period look precisely. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Man-of-Mystery

Well, Wednesday is charity shop day...

Today we had in a denim Trucker by Gap, size L. Not bad for a fairly modern knock-off.

[​IMG]

But, more importantly, our local branch of USC is closing down, and selling off Lacoste polo shirts with £16 off the usual price. I thought the red one looked nice, so I bought it.

[​IMG]

Also I was surprised to see that they had black Levi truckers in cord, with charcoal fleece lining pretty cheap too. Not Strauss's best style ever, but I have worn an amber cord version with cream fleece for three winters, and they keep you pretty warm.

[​IMG]

Many appy polly loggies for the poor quality of the shop photos. They were taken on a crappy old phone.

3. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

The Lacoste polo looks superb in that colour.
    Good choice

2 people like this.
  4. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

5. covskin

covskin Senior member

Looks like a 1940s look to me - fedora, wide lapels, wide pinstripe, presumably wide trousers. Pre-dates anything we might be interested in.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

^ but we agree with their cause, I imagine.

Of course, by the early 70s (around here) that same look was on the way back...perhaps sans chapeau!

7. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Well, I went to London and all day there was a tiny, nagging, warning voice in my head in the tones of @covskin - saying how many fuc#ing casual jackets do you need?

So, I spent my limited resources instead on grooming products at the Holborn Pharmacy. If anyone is in the area I thoroughly recommend it for Kent brushes and combs, Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving supplies and hard-to-find and now extinct fragrances. 88 Southampton Row.

8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Well, even if i was hearing covskin's Voice saying 'how many fakin jeans do you need' i didn't listen and bought a new 501 - nothing fancy, not LVC, just a nice colour, 'dry', and quite thick for a Levi's - and spent my limited resources for the sales (if I'm serious).

1 person likes this.
  9. covskin

covskin Senior member

Ok, I'll pipe down a bit

2 people like this.
  10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I was taken to Costco this week for the first time,its a huge reatail warehouse type place and there is one just outside of Bristol.
    They were selling Levi 501 for £45,it seemed quite cheap to me,they also had Armani J31 for £50, I am not sure about jeans in places like that,are they the same as you would buy in other shops ( a bargain then ) or do Levis / Armani have them knocked up with cheaper material just for places like Costco?

11. NorthCoast

NorthCoast Senior member

I believe the knock off thing goes on at Costco, but I don't know if it is done everytime.

1 person likes this.
  12. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

I know that Armani and a few others peddle slightly second rate stuff at the likes of Bicester Village- I
    believe it's manufactured with bulk buy/ discount rates in mind.
    There's probably info on the web regarding this.

1 person likes this.
  13. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Yeah, that's the sort of thing that goes on at Costco, Wal-Mart, etc., over here. Official, but cut-rate, merch, sometimes even made specifically for one retailer. Just goes to show how obsessed people are with labels as opposed to quality when it comes to clothing. People would rather buy a cheap imitation that carries the Levi's, etc., tag, than Kirkland(Costco's house brand), which is just as cheap, and often same or better quality than the downmarket Levi's, Adidas, etc.

1 person likes this.
  14. Stingy Brim

Stingy Brim Well-Known Member

Oh sure, I mainly just posted it as I thought it was funny, they (they call themselves 'Chaps') have their own 'look' to 'go on' although they don't really update the look.

Some criticism of them indeed that they were dressed in stuff that doesn't actually get produced in Savile Row anymore:

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/save-savile-row-protest-give-three-piece-a-chance/

15. covskin

covskin Senior member

I wonder, were all those suits we hear about from 60s tailors bespoke or were they actually made to measure? Own pattern or own details on a stock pattern?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  16. Man-of-Mystery

Wwll, Wednesday is charity shop day... blah blah blah... wool/cashmere, fly-fronted overcoat, 42R... blah blah blah...

[​IMG]

... and another one on the rack downstairs 44R... blah blah blah... clumpy pair of burgundy Stead & Simpson toecaps...

[​IMG]

... blah blah blah...

Well, you get the picture. :D

17. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Do either of them fit you?
    The overcoat looks OK- not sure bout the 4 be 2's

18. Man-of-Mystery

The 42R fits me. I would have considered it if I didn't already have a dark blue overcoat.

The beetle-crushers are size 9.

19. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

I haven't heard the expression beetle crushers for many years [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I was talking to one of the blokes that I went to Costco with and I mentioned your comment and he admitted that he is more interested in the 'right' label than the quality.
    I think that its exactly the opposite to how most of us think,they want a logo to show that they have bought something expensive and they are not worried about quality or long life as they will soon stop wearing it and move on,its a dream come true for manufacturers.
    On a similar subject I was thinking of an ex girlfriends younger brother,in the early 80s him and his mates really embraced the Casual look,they didnt mind what an item cost in fact the more expensive the better,I remember them complaining when Pringle jumpers started being sold in mail order catalogues,they stopped wearing them as they felt they had lost their expensive image as anyone could buy them and pay by small weekly payments.

1 person likes this.