• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and the acrylic is giving an authentically high definition squareness to the knit, something the Japanese wool one didn't have

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just made an impulse buy...
'Suede touch MA-1'

New Uniqlo Suede touch MA-1
Uniqlo OCBD
Black denim Wrangler
Steed Quilon DMs

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My Black Steeds deserve a close up...

I went to the Fred Perry flagship store and tried the waffle knit cardigan. I'm a bit disappointed with it TBH. It misses side pockets IMO as it's the kind of cardy you don't wear with a jacket over it. But the Acrylic/Cotton blend looks good.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just made an impulse buy...
'Suede touch MA-1'

New Uniqlo Suede touch MA-1
Uniqlo OCBD
Black denim Wrangler
Steed Quilon DMs
Looks like a good buy...nice fit , a good length,should be just the thing for the cooler weather.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah was eyeing them Bootflex a few days ago. I believe Clark's did a similar thing a while back, too, though Sold out immediately. If the Bootflex is anywhere as comfortable as the Greenflex(their dessy boot style), they're an investment in comfort. They don't break the bank, either.

They arrived today,pretty good as i only ordered them on Saturday.
They seem well made,and the suede feels good quality,they seem to be leather lined, because they are 8 hole and the suede is doubled over at the top of the boot and new
they were a bit difficult to get on at first,but once on you are right very comfortable.
A bit of a 'twist' on an old style,and in the same way I am looking at the Paraboot Frenaye as a Plain Derby, a bit less formal than most but still top quality,the Norwegian welt and the rubber sole gives them a bit of different look.

Also thinking that the Sunspel Riviera is a twist on the polos that have been more associated with the Look over the years.
Finally I am looking at the Barbour Aetna as a field jacket / lightweight rainwear,very casual but a bit stylish (imo)...now I know I said I dont feel comfortable wearing my Barbour but this one is not a traditional Barbour,its in much lighter material and the style is different too.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit
Thanks mate.

Today Mrs K wanted to look for a particular shoe and I discovered a shoe shop here in Washington called Comfort One Shoes that sold the brand. We went to their branch at Union Station and then onto their main emporium on the outskirts.

They had a good range of DMs and Mephisto - the latter containing some lovely derby styles but at $400 a bit rich for me.

I did get a pair of anatomical inner soles for my latest Weejuns, which have never felt quite right and they have been transformed!

At Jos. A Bank I bought a lovely paisley tie, a pair of sale US made Merino OTC socks ($4) and a brolley!

Good discussion about the Look - I have not yet seen anyone sporting any aspect of it here.

Your post made me look at Mephisto website,I didnt realise they did a few Goodyear welted shoes,theres one Derby in there the 'Taylor' and its on offer at Pediwear for £185,I dont know if its one of the styles that you liked...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They arrived today,pretty good as i only ordered them on Saturday.
They seem well made,and the suede feels good quality,they seem to be leather lined, because they are 8 hole and the suede is doubled over at the top of the boot and new
they were a bit difficult to get on at first,but once on you are right very comfortable.
A bit of a 'twist' on an old style,and in the same way I am looking at the Paraboot Frenaye as a Plain Derby, a bit less formal than most but still top quality,the Norwegian welt and the rubber sole gives them a bit of different look.

Also thinking that the Sunspel Riviera is a twist on the polos that have been more associated with the Look over the years.
Finally I am looking at the Barbour Aetna as a field jacket / lightweight rainwear,very casual but a bit stylish (imo)...now I know I said I dont feel comfortable wearing my Barbour but this one is not a traditional Barbour,its in much lighter material and the style is different too.

Very nice. I really, really don't need any more boots so I will take your word for it... though the boots are tempting. The Paraboot Frenaye (del Congo) brown suede have been a great go-to weekend shoe, definitely has a bit of a "mod" look, for lack of a better term. Extremely comfortable and stylish to boot.
Have a long-sleeve Sunspel Riviera, nice under a harrington and sharper than most polos-- though here and now a woolen Alan Paine or Smedley would serve better(brrrr!!).
That Barbour Aetna is nice, defo a different take on what you'd class as stereotypical Barbour. I have a similar jacket, an "Ocean" blue Barbour dryfly that is a lightweight breathable rain jacket, sort of like the International but without the giant ugly logo or the slanted pocket.... and that bit of shearling(presumably for your fishing flies) comes off the breast pocket!

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. I really, really don't need any more boots so I will take your word for it... though the boots are tempting. The Paraboot Frenaye (del Congo) brown suede have been a great go-to weekend shoe, definitely has a bit of a "mod" look, for lack of a better term. Extremely comfortable and stylish to boot.
Have a long-sleeve Sunspel Riviera, nice under a harrington and sharper than most polos-- though here and now a woolen Alan Paine or Smedley would serve better(brrrr!!).
That Barbour Aetna is nice, defo a different take on what you'd class as stereotypical Barbour. I have a similar jacket, an "Ocean" blue Barbour dryfly that is a lightweight breathable rain jacket, sort of like the International but without the giant ugly logo or the slanted pocket.... and that bit of shearling(presumably for your fishing flies) comes off the breast pocket!
You are ahead of me about introducing more modern looking items into your wardrobe,interesting that I chose some of the same items as you,but I suppose not surprising as we are both on this thread.

As you say "mod" look,for want of a better term, the problem with the word "mod" in relation to clothes / shoes is that it can be seen as looking back in a retro fashion way rather than looking forwards ( hope that makes sense ), we dont want to be seen as a 'Mod revival' revival.

That Barbour looks good too,would be ok with most jeans or trousers and be practical in wet cold weather,there is a distinct Autumnal nip in the weather here today and rain forecast for the weekend so the jackets will be coming back out.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that whole mod or modernist thing is an interesting way to lose some hours on the internet but is not productive. Modernism is just another failed totalitarian ideology, though with some nice artefacts. I think of myself as modern, not mod not modernist and definitely not postmodernist lol. Modern Vernacular, that's me - modern within a tradition.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are ahead of me about introducing more modern looking items into your wardrobe,interesting that I chose some of the same items as you,but I suppose not surprising as we are both on this thread.

As you say "mod" look,for want of a better term, the problem with the word "mod" in relation to clothes / shoes is that it can be seen as looking back in a retro fashion way rather than looking forwards ( hope that makes sense ), we dont want to be seen as a 'Mod revival' revival.

That Barbour looks good too,would be ok with most jeans or trousers and be practical in wet cold weather,there is a distinct Autumnal nip in the weather here today and rain forecast for the weekend so the jackets will be coming back out.

Re: "more modern looking items" I suppose my very short foray into the "casual" look in the late '90s-early '00s taught me to keep my nose to the ground for good looking gear that didn't necessarily fall within the bounds of acceptable skinhead brands. Foolish, but true. I guess different people get around to the same thing via different roads...

I suppose that using the term "mod" for those shoes might have been too simple or misleading of me--- a rushed explanation. What I mean is that the Paraboot shoes in question wouldn't look out of place in a mod's ensemble-- but they also don't look dated or anachronistic. After a couple hours' time, in hindsight I suppose I should have said that they have a timeless, Continental look to them.
The Barbour gets an airing around this time of year, usually out to the hockey game with the boys. Goes nice with them Paraboot in question or AS pebbled longwings, olive cords, a tan crewneck lambswool, and a r/w/b tattersall buttondown...

When on, they really don't have the 'commando sole" look. The sole is pretty low-profile in the flesh.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that whole mod or modernist thing is an interesting way to lose some hours on the internet but is not productive. Modernism is just another failed totalitarian ideology, though with some nice artefacts. I think of myself as modern, not mod not modernist and definitely not postmodernist lol. Modern Vernacular, that's me - modern within a tradition.

Yeah, I'm certainly not a "mod". My reply to cerneabbas sort of explains what I meant.... "a timeless Continental look".

Hear, hear on not digging totalitarian ideologies though.
The "Modern Vernacular"-- absolutely brilliant turn of phrase.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: "more modern looking items" I suppose my very short foray into the "casual" look in the late '90s-early '00s taught me to keep my nose to the ground for good looking gear that didn't necessarily fall within the bounds of acceptable skinhead brands. Foolish, but true. I guess different people get around to the same thing via different roads...

I suppose that using the term "mod" for those shoes might have been too simple or misleading of me--- a rushed explanation. What I mean is that the Paraboot shoes in question wouldn't look out of place in a mod's ensemble-- but they also don't look dated or anachronistic. After a couple hours' time, in hindsight I suppose I should have said that they have a timeless, Continental look to them.
The Barbour gets an airing around this time of year, usually out to the hockey game with the boys. Goes nice with them Paraboot in question or AS pebbled longwings, olive cords, a tan crewneck lambswool, and a r/w/b tattersall buttondown...

When on, they really don't have the 'commando sole" look. The sole is pretty low-profile in the flesh.

I suppose thats why i find myself agreeing with a lot of your choices,after Suedehead I that Casual was my biggest influence,not all of what was worn ( some of it was good though) but the fresh ideas,moving forward,doing something new and different a bit like Mod originally was and nothing like 'Mod revival'.
Using Suedehead as a basic deign and moving it forward in a Casual way is my best description of how I want to do things.

Thats exactly how I felt about the Paraboot Frenaye ( I was loking at the leather ones) although I have been looking for a pair of Plain Derby shoes in brown for a long time,I realised that these were a bit of a different fresher look than the ones I had been looking at,they would fit in better with the clothes that I wear now,not dated as you say.

Agree as well with what to wear with the Barbour,mixing some Sudehead,Casual and traditional items is the way forward imo, its funny that its taken us 150 + pages to start discussing the real meaning of the thread ( again imo).

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Modernism is just another failed totalitarian ideology...

Ouch!

M-o-M
Postgrad student, Literature and Modernity, University of Edinburgh.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I know what you mean - you don't mean T S Eliot, Virginia Woolf, Katherine Mansfield, etc. Or maybe you do! LOL.

I went to a seminar in a mohair suit the other day!

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I did throw Finnegan's Wake into the bin - imagine if you *had to* communicate like that wibble wobble etc. I half-finished The Castle too, seemed appropriate (well that's my excuse anyway...)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics