• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's hitting the nail on the head; to me it's the whole point. Using and rejecting accepted components of The Look
2122.png
, individuality and tastes within defined parameters= your unique take on it.

The next level: to transcend these accepted components and express the look through new components. If only I could do that!

blank, unlayered, unaccessorised, hidden, simple, subtractive, functional, subverting, modern, essential

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The next level: to transcend these accepted components and express the look through new components. If only I could do that!

blank, unlayered, unaccessorised, hidden, simple, subtractive, functional, subverting, modern, essential

Great post, cov. I am looking for inspiration here...

Your post seems to capture the essence of this thread.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that's a tall order! I presume it would take a movement of yoot's to pull something like that off, just to make it relevant.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I suppose that we all interprate 'the Look' in different ways and now there are no 'rules' mind you I do also like some items that I wouldnt class as being within 'the Look'.

Originally Posted by Botolph

That's hitting the nail on the head; to me it's the whole point. Using and rejecting accepted components of The Look™, individuality and tastes within defined parameters= your unique take on it.

Originally Posted by covskin

blank, unlayered, unaccessorised, hidden, simple, subtractive, functional, subverting, modern, essential.

In my case - and it's a summary of your three posts, it's all about interpretation, personal sense of smartness/elegance, and trying to keep it neat and subtle. And if possible with a twist sometimes. Two things are capital : the right association/combination of clothes and the quality of garments. And i think the 'age appropriate' concept/concern is very important too.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good discussion guys. I have just edited my last post by way of a response to cerneabbas' post on shopping here in DC.

Glad that you have found something that you liked whilst shopping.
I often cant decide,dont buy then wish I had when I get home...drives the GF mad.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.
I agree the discussion is good.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now that's a tall order! I presume it would take a movement of yoot's to pull something like that off, just to make it relevant.

I've extended it to a watch (at least in my mind...)

gb245_1.jpg

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
sorry if this is old news (and the cross post)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yv0qj

documentary BBC 4 on 14th October and on the i-player after of course

I actually found this picture...

I guess you recognize the guy next to Don Letts
smile.gif

Unfortunately i won't see the program, as i think the BBC i-player doesn't work outside UK. Hope it'll be on the U-tube...

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ the Classic Menswear lot can feel free to burn me on some faggots but I prefer swivel bar cufflinks to double sided. Easier to get on and seem more 'modern' to me.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ the Classic Menswear lot can feel free to burn me on some faggots but I prefer swivel bar cufflinks to double sided. Easier to get on and seem more 'modern' to me.

Agreed on the swivel bar cufflinks. Suppose it's a matter of taste really.

Nice scores, M-o-M. Was the shop worth a mooch-in? I'm usually in Washington near Chrimbo.

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People 'say too much' with cufflinks, thinking of a pair of silver blanks for engraving - only with no engraving

df-007-d.jpg

Functional for a double cuff shirt, ie: not an accessory

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads