• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Leathef Levi bug bit me, too
1f604.png
. I nabbed the leather trucker. Very impressive, robust, very cool
1f60e.png
I know it's not like the old ones with the snaps but I actually like the button-through placket better.
Stubby-arms that I am, I had to have the arms shortened two inches, though it was worth it: cuffs buttoned looks clean, and rolled back they stay put. When I return from my travels on Tuesday I'll try and remember to snap a pic.

Well, to follow through, here is a pic with the Levi leather truckah. For reference, I'm wearing a Large with the sleeves shortened 2". I'm about 13 st, 5'10", 17/34 shirt.
Very comfy, feels robust without constricting-- pliable. And yes, I am standing in a shower in the pictures
1f604.png

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather sleeves shortened sounds a little more involved than normal alteration. Where do you get leather alterations anyway? Wouldn't mind getting my belt shortened an inch or two but have never chanced across somewhere this could be done.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Leather sleeves shortened sounds a little more involved than normal alteration. Where do you get leather alterations anyway? Wouldn't mind getting my belt shortened an inch or two but have never chanced across somewhere this could be done.

In South Boston we have a good few tailors/seamstresses(like any city I'm sure) The one I used for the leather jacket was Sturgis Cleaners and Tailors. Just a local joint. Dropped it off on a friday and picked it up on a Tuesday. Clean work.
Re: belts. I've never had one shortened, but I dare say you may want to try a cobbler. Seems the tooling needed to reattach the buckle might be left in their capable hands.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have a good time MrK.
Any shopping planned ?

Edit
Thanks mate.

Today Mrs K wanted to look for a particular shoe and I discovered a shoe shop here in Washington called Comfort One Shoes that sold the brand. We went to their branch at Union Station and then onto their main emporium on the outskirts.

They had a good range of DMs and Mephisto - the latter containing some lovely derby styles but at $400 a bit rich for me.

I did get a pair of anatomical inner soles for my latest Weejuns, which have never felt quite right and they have been transformed!

At Jos. A Bank I bought a lovely paisley tie, a pair of sale US made Merino OTC socks ($4) and a brolley!

Good discussion about the Look - I have not yet seen anyone sporting any aspect of it here.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well, to follow through, here is a pic with the Levi leather truckah. For reference, I'm wearing a Large with the sleeves shortened 2". I'm about 13 st, 5'10", 17/34 shirt.
Very comfy, feels robust without constricting-- pliable. And yes, I am standing in a shower in the pictures
1f604.png

Really looks the mutt's nuts !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never been a fan of Desert boots or suede shoes in general,the pair of plain suede Derby shoes that I bought earlier this year have had a good bit of wear this summer though and I noticed some boots that are a variation on the traditional Desert boots, Astroflex Bootflex from End clothing,look alright with jeans and polo,V neck or Harrington

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never been a fan of Desert boots or suede shoes in general,the pair of plain suede Derby shoes that I bought earlier this year have had a good bit of wear this summer though and I noticed some boots that are a variation on the traditional Desert boots, Astroflex Bootflex from End clothing,look alright with jeans and polo,V neck or Harrington

Yeah was eyeing them Bootflex a few days ago. I believe Clark's did a similar thing a while back, too, though Sold out immediately. If the Bootflex is anywhere as comfortable as the Greenflex(their dessy boot style), they're an investment in comfort. They don't break the bank, either.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, Wednesday is charity shop day, and today I got a knitted tie, two pairs of cufflinks, and a tiepin.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Better angle and light than most areas of my place, and I'm not keen on being caught taking outdoor selfies in my neighborhood.
1f601.png

I just figured I'd preemptively post after seening that there's a shower knob in the pic.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of my heritage! When I first got into mod in the NW they were what you had to wear.

I know that they have been popular forever but I have never really liked them,I did own a pair but never wore them ( like my Bass Weejuns) a bit to 'geography teacher' for me.
I think that its quite interesting that some people see an item as part of 'the Look' others dont or maybe think that item is old hat,I suppose that we all interprate 'the Look' in different ways and now there are no 'rules' mind you I do also like some items that I wouldnt class as being within 'the Look'.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's hitting the nail on the head; to me it's the whole point. Using and rejecting accepted components of The Look
2122.png
, individuality and tastes within defined parameters= your unique take on it.

For instance: I seldom, if ever, cuff/turn up my jeans. I didn't really ever wear braces. I seldom wear creased chinos/sta-prest and typically opt for normal chinos.
However, when I think about my day-to-day, I usually do wear two or more components of the Look. I typically wear a buttondown shirt or Fred/Smedley, lambswool v-neck slipover or longsleeve, the footwear: desert boots/Solovairs/brogues/smooths and a jacket: harrington/crombie/flight jacket/jean jacket/mac/.
Mixing a lot of that with items such as a 3/2 roll sack/hacking/tweed/jackets, military parka, suede oxfords, corduroy/moleskin/twill trousers, shaggy dog sweaters/jumpers,
That coupled with the short hair, most people haven't any idea-- but those who get it definitely get it.
And most important of all, a combination of the above is what I'm comfortable wearing.

Clean-looking. I believe waaay near the beginning of the MtS thread, either M-o-M or one of the other originals spoke of the Look's importance as having a certain 'freshness'(meaning 'clean and tidy' , but not [necessarily] 'new') to one's style. Seems that is what we're all trying to convey with how we dress.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's hitting the nail on the head; to me it's the whole point. Using and rejecting accepted components of The Look
2122.png
, individuality and tastes within defined parameters= your unique take on it.

For instance: I seldom, if ever, cuff/turn up my jeans. I didn't really ever wear braces. I seldom wear creased chinos/sta-prest and typically opt for normal chinos.
However, when I think about my day-to-day, I usually do wear two or more components of the Look. I typically wear a buttondown shirt or Fred/Smedley, the footwear: desert boots/Solovairs/brogues/smooths and a jacket: harrington/crombie/flight jacket/jean jacket/mac/military parka.
That coupled with the short hair, most people haven't any idea-- but those who get it definitely get it.
And most important of all, a combination of the above is what I'm comfortable wearing.

I pretty well agree,ok I have one pair of jeans that I wear turned up but I only wear them with my Paraboot Michaels,so not overtly Skinhead.
However I do seem to like bringing some more 'Casual' or modern items into the mix, I really like the Armani J21 jeans,I noticed them being worn by some Casual types and I liked the shape / fit,seem to work with ,trainers/Michaels /Brogues or Chukka boots imo.
I like Navy parkas for cold or wet weather,and recently I bought a blue camo North Face bucket hat..now thats going way outside of 'the Look' for me but Michaels / jeans / parka / hat seems ok to me for casual wear on a wet Autumn day,and its not to cliched,'skinhead' or 'casual' or 'chav' I dont think that anyone could even say 'scruff'...maybe 'odd' ?
I do totally agree with you about 'what I am comfotable wearing'...I have never been really comfortable with my Barbour jacket, I wouldnt be comfortable wearing Doc Martens or quite a few other items that I have worn in the past.
Some things that I wore in my youth were only suitable for youths and are not 'age appropriate' some things are to archaic or cliched,its a bit of a tightrope,we arent always going to get it 'right' and we might not agree with each other 100% either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads