1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Nice one Nicky, but doesn't it look a bit like a one you have (color and shape) ?
    (Well i've got nothing to say i've got two Crombie style coats, one Chesterfield, and two Lodens…[​IMG])

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Similar but completely different to my grey cashmere coat!
    I suppose I've got a similar number of 'big' coats as you Giles- they don't half take up a lot of wardrobe space, and they can also buckle/ disfigure rails unless you space them out to even the load.
    A small price to pay for having some choice in what to wear.
    Ps I did put some hooks behind the kitchen door for coat storage, but the wife didn't like the idea and unscrewed them. Oh well...

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Coat for a long time is one of my favorite item of clothing. Very stylish and practical. But I agree it's quite a problem to stock...
    I understand very well what you mean by similar but completely different… That's the problem when you like dressing. It's true with coats but also with shoes, shirts, etc… Always need more money and space !

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

A woman's idea of what is a good, tidy solution and man's will never be in harmony[​IMG]

Looks a great coat - go for it.

Given the time of year should we have an outerwear 'event' in January? Might help lift the flat feel of the threads at the moment...

@Clouseau I should like to see some more of your coats.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Re belted coats. I remember that part of the later mod look of the 1960s included coats which had belts, in particular leather coats. BUT the belt was usually worn behind the coat, caught casually in the buckle, particularly if the coat was being worn open.

The kind of coat, by the way, was not a million miles away from what Sting wore in Quadrophenia, but without epaulettes and without the upper lapel being wider than the lower (i.e. standard notch lapels). It's a style I still like, but which is impossible to find. I would wear a Sting-style coat, but even they don't turn up in the vintage shops up here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Has anyone ever come across 'Great and British knitwear' ?.
    I hadnt until yesterday,I was looking online for a made in Scotland Lambswool crew neck,I came across G&B they seem to be sold by Sockshop,I had a search about and it seems that they are made in Hawick.

7. Mr Knightley

Never. But I have had very good experience with Sockshop in the past year or so and so has Mrs K who uses them a lot for Falke stuff.

I must look into this.

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Had a look around online and I notice that the 'Great and British' jumpers are sold on Amazon too,it says that they are made in Hawick at a factory that has been there since 1874.
    I also found an article about the demise of 'Hawick knitwear' who had a factory in Hawick since 1874 and apparently there is another smaller company working in the same factory now.
    Donning my Deerstalker I have concluded that barring a coincidence it is possible that 'Great and British knitwear' is being made in the old 'Hawick knitwear' factory.

In the same article about 'Hawick knitwear' it mentioned that 'Peter Scott knitwear' in Hawick closed down last year as well as Pringle in 2008,better news is that Johnstons of Elgin is still going strong (also in Hawick).

Shetland jumpers were mentioned here a couple of months back,I noticed some in a sale at Farlows,some nice colours and made in Scotland.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I just had another CT catalogue arrive in the post.
    They have some Longwings with a Dainite sole that look just like the Loake Sovereign,strangely there is a tan version and I cant remember ever seeing the Soveriegn in any other colour than black,they look very nice and at £129 a good price.

2 people like this.
  10. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

What is the difference between a Loake Royal and a Sovereign?

Is it the little band that may be called a storm welt is not on the Sovereign?

Tan is a difficult colour. Apart from the possibility of looking like a clown from 'match of the day' there is also the problem of keeping tan free from marks. Tan also shows up rain spots for a long time after a downpour.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I think the Royals have a thick leather sole, while the Sovereigns have a Dainite sole.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

As Clouseau says the Sovereign is the Royal but with a Dainite sole.
    I have a pair of tan brogue boots from Herring they are actually made by Loake and as you say they show rain drops for ages,I polish them with a darker brown polish and they look better,I dont like the very light tan it looks to yellow imo.

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr Knightley

Lovely present. Geo Trumper used to do a similar kit containing Solingen pieces. Mrs K bought me one over ten years ago and all the items still give fantastic service - a thing of rare beauty!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  15. Mr Knightley

I know some of you sport a hat / cap on occasions. This week's Friday Challenge 'Hats' may therefore be of interest.

16. benj84

benj84 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  17. covskin

covskin Senior member

Good to hear, the days of Viners cutlery and Ravenhead glass in every home is sadly over.

1 person likes this.
  18. benj84

benj84 Senior member

yeah I think there is still a small market for really nice Sheffield cutlery which supports the few remaining factories and workshops. The famous Sheffield shop website has a nice selection but I don't think a manicure set

1 person likes this.
  19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I really like finding out that items are still made in their country of origin,those made in Germany Adidas trainers,the Gitman BD made in USA I bought off of e bay the other week and the Deerstalker made in England in the sales.
    There are still quite a few manufacturing firms surviving in Britain ( and other countries ) I suppose as you say they are mainly a niche market or export their wares.
    All those shoes made in Northampton,I rarely see anyone wearing a pair here,where do they get sold ? I am guessing Japan ? China ? maybe USA ?.

I bought a Solingen knife some years ago and it is very good quality.

The problem is that most people dont care about quality now they would have any old crap as long as its cheap.

20. benj84

benj84 Senior member

couldn't agree more, I'm living in Helsinki now and last week with windchill it was down to -30. So the smartest way to dress is a wool overcoat and luckily there in real abundance in the fleamarket/charity shops here and you get loads of 50s/60s/70s styles which the wool is English woolen mill wool. And you pick em up for about 15euro

1 person likes this.