1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. covskin

covskin Well-Known Member

'Made by British workers for British workers'

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

Happy new Year to everyone.

An interesting article in the Independent (it had to happen eventually) about 'Why are people cutting the Logos off of their clothes' its online and worth a quick read,a funny picture of how RLs horse logo keeps getting bigger and the eventual outcome.
    So my 'logophobia' is spreading, ,I hope that people at decision making level from RL,FP, and Gant read the article and act accordingly.

2 people like this.
  3. covskin

Just had a google, looks like Slazenger heritage gold is no more

1 person likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

They were prohibitively expensive at RRP, not surprising. Glad I nabbed one when I did.

1 person likes this.
  5. Botolph

The giant logo phenomenon lasted for a few decades and is now in steady decline-- I guess that's good news???

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Well-Known Member

I think so,but there will be a lot of people in their mid 20s and upwards who will still like logos as thats what they know.
    As a comparison we can see a much younger generation who will shun drugs,drink and junk food,however the generation who have grown up with all 3 will stick to that lifestyle (plus logos ) (imo).
    A bloke that I know through work in his late 20s said to me "when I buy a Vivienne Westwood shirt for £xxx I want a logo on it so that people know that it cost £xxx",now however foolish that sounds he is not (generally) an idiot,in fact he has done quite well for himself,but in the logo business i think that he is part of a generational 'thing'.
    I think in some ways each generation wants to be different to the last,as I say the 'culture' of drugs,drink,junk food will change and I dont think that Tattoos will be as popular (all imo).

2 people like this.
  7. Clouseau

Clouseau Well-Known Member

Cerneabbas, i think you are right, and after a while it will come back, the endless circle....

8. Botolph

Agreed on all counts. Kids will always rebel against their parents, the pendulum swings...

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Back in the day, the Harrington was noted for the variety it could bring to the 'look' simply by minor variations in how you wore it: Collar up, collar down, zipped (never all the way up), unzipped, pocket flaps in, pocket flaps buttoned, hands in stride pockets, hands in jacket pockets. Very handy knacks for someone to know who didn't have much moulah to invest in new gear.

1 person likes this.
  10. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Well-Known Member

Excellent post. It's kinda become the norm for the middle aged to denegrate the excesses of the following generation, however in general teenagers now are quieter, less outgoing, and generally blander than their parents were at the same age IMO.
    Maybe it was just my group I knocked around with,who are still my mates today, but we were extroverts who competed non stop to get a word it- make the biggest laugh- I find it difficult to find someone of that age today who can make me chuckle of even say something worth listening to- Diminishment of the human personality? Perhaps I think....
    I think we've got a way to go yet before tattoos fall out of favour. In terms of general appearance, the proliferation of body ink adopted by the current young 'uns is their defining statement.
    Re labels on the outside, I can't see that dying out any time soon also.
    Ps Butolph- if you've tried to PM me I'm not blanking you- maddeningly I haven't been able to receive emails for a couple of weeks.
    Pps A stylish and serene 2017 to all on the forum.
    Regards Nicky

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  11. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Well-Known Member

As the thread enters another year things are looking up!

I was not sure when I started the ball rolling how it would turn out but it seems still to offer an outlet for those wishing to reflect on the Look today and in the future. Thanks for your support guys and a very Happy New Year!

2 people like this.
  12. Mr Knightley

Some new shoes for the New Year - a present from Mrs K. Charles Tyrwhitt MIE. Anyone know the actual maker of CT English made footwear - Loake perhaps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it's been established that a lot of CT shoes are rebadged Loakes.

I've never actually seen any in person. Despite many clvisits to the CT shops during trips for work to New York (Times Square, round the corner from Times Square, and Madison Avenue) they don't appear to stock shoes in their shops.

14. Mr Knightley

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Well-Known Member

Well, Wednesday is charity shop day...

I spotted this amusing little item - a surfer jacket, with some kind of wampum design on collar and cuffs.

[​IMG]

16. benj84

benj84 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG] this is the tartan from my wearite Harrington which I believe is combat but from 60s. Wearite were what ben nevis jackets were named I think. I like the large tarten checks and the quality of the jacket is pretty good

1 person likes this.
  17. covskin

^ mmm, size given in centimetres doesn't look very 60s. The money went decimal around 1971 and that was the first metrication as I recall. Weights and measures came much later.

Something about that white supplementary tag too, don't remember those until later.

At a guess, the juxtaposition of old-style label and new-style tag, I would say around 1980.

Whatever, it looks good

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  18. benj84

benj84 Well-Known Member

yes your right.just checked wearite started in 62 but they started making Harrington jkts in the 70s. Its a better quality than my made in england merc jacket though

1 person likes this.
  19. covskin

Yep, 60s or 70s, quality will generally be better. Not a race to the bottom

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  20. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just come across this; In an ideal world I would send a full photo but couldn't find anywhere suitable to hang it!
    Three quarter length Arthur Daley job- it would need altering to fit me but am considering going back tomorrow to purchase. Thankfully it hasn't got a belt which would render it too Al Capone for my liking.
    Ps Flawless condition- 100 smackers

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017