• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You've got quite a lot of time to think about it, but the quicker the better for the travel arrangements.

The Paris meet-up, Saturday 28 January 2017

As usual we will probably meet in a Pub at noon (well we call them Café here) then visit some interesting areas. It will be during the winter sales, so a bit of shopping is possible.

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers
C.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cordings v Bruar - does anyone notice any subtle differences between English and Scottish country wear? Just interested.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cordings v Bruar - does anyone notice any subtle differences between English and Scottish country wear? Just interested.

Only have a couple Bruar knits and don't see much of a difference between theirs and Cordings' ... but Cordings' tweed jackets are really amazing. Working cuffs, beautiful tweeds, and I guess proportions that suit me well.

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only have a couple Bruar knits and don't see much of a difference between theirs and Cordings' ... but Cordings' tweed jackets are really amazing. Working cuffs, beautiful tweeds, and I guess proportions that suit me well.

Not got much experience of Scottish country myself but I think of it as being more broadly greenish than the yellowish of English country, and perhaps with more heather-toned touches (reds, purples) than in English country. Just an impression, the Scottish lovat green probably encapsulates it.

(excluding the obvious tartan/plaid)

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And while we are at it, favourite tartan anyone? I think Dress Gordon looks good on a woman

ctrv-gdd-m_gordon_dress_modern_reiver_tartan-front-72dpi-rgb.jpg

(hope no hairy-arsed Scotsmen are offended lol)

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And while we are at it, favourite tartan anyone? I think Dress Gordon looks good on a woman

(hope no hairy-arsed Scotsmen are offended lol)

Having gone to a Catholic parochial school where the girls wore said tartan-patterned skirts, I fully endorse your statement about Dress Gordon.
That being said, I dig a simple Blackwatch tartan.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The closest I ever came to wearing a kilt was Farquharson Modern, which seems pleasantly simple for a tartan

ctrv-frq-m_farquharson_modern_reiver_tartan-front-72dpi-rgb.jpg

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I already mentioned on the M to S thread this lovely little book - The Scottish Tartans - with exquisite drawings, that i bought in 1980 during my only trip to scotland.

i confess my love for the Fraser tartan, one of the reasons why i' m very fond of my Baracutas.
Now i suppose it is not the taste of everyone, but Tartans are like colors a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RE: House of Bruar.  I've looked and looked on their website, and it all looks very enticing.  I've only ordered a v-neck lambswool sweater and a tie from there, but both were nice, not exorbitantly-priced, etc.  

I have a hacking jacket from House of Bruar. I got it for £40 at the charity shop, good as new :D

Round here Bruar is thought of as exclusively for country toffs (the sort that wear pink trousers, yellow shoes, green sweater, mauve shirt, and blue jacket), so I love to subvert their clobber.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always been partial to my own family tartan.

My daughter had a skirt in that. I certainly have a scarf.

I also rather like the Edinburgh University tartan.

Campbell of Argyll is quite nice too.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that P.o.W check is derived from a tartan ? I always like the light blue overcheck on pale grey.

I got a Lyle and Scott lambswool scarf a couple of years ago,its a blue tartan of their design,I just looked on their website and they have different designs now,one is based on Black Watch which I also think looks good.

Also on the LS website is an article about wearing to much navy blue (Covskin mentioned this a while back) apparently you need to buy Lyle and Scott clothes and socks in different colours to break the navy up, its amazing.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a hacking jacket from House of Bruar. I got it for £40 at the charity shop, good as new :D

Round here Bruar is thought of as exclusively for country toffs (the sort that wear pink trousers, yellow shoes, green sweater, mauve shirt, and blue jacket), so I love to subvert their clobber.

Funny, those folk you describe sound like a more temperate-weathered version of the privileged Nantucket set. Technicolor nightmare. My retinas are receding in fear of having such colors burned into them forever.
Question: does your Bruar jacket have working cuffs? Good charity shop score, by the way!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny, those folk you describe sound like a more temperate-weathered version of the privileged Nantucket set. Technicolor nightmare. My retinas are receding in fear of having such colors burned into them forever.
Question: does your Bruar jacket have working cuffs? Good charity shop score, by the way!

I score OODLES of stuff from the shop, if I'm there at the right time - sheepskin coat, whistle-and-flute, ties, pocket squares, a Pierre Cardin shirt in its packaging, tweed jackets from Bruar, Daks, & Brook Taverner. Same as the two recent times I visited John Simons. I'm a regular golden-bollocks!

Working cuffs? As in: do the buttons do up? No, they're for show. But it does have the lapel tab that fastens across... for when one's on one's hunter and the weather gets a trifle chilly, don'tcha know! :D

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ you put me in mind of Sir Iain Moncreiffe of that Ilk, the Scottish heraldic pundit who used to appear on tv talking deferentially about 'the royal child' or how things had been this way 'since time immemorial', etc...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads