1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

As usual.
    But it's possible, i did it ! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I know that we talked about Viyella when Mr Knightley came home from holiday with a Viyella BD, but has anyone seen their Lambswool jumpers in the flesh ? supposed to be made in Britain,I quite like the Denim crew neck looks like a blue marl in the pictures.

I was in Debenhams yesterday and there was a big pile of jumpers with a sign saying Lambswool Classics..in very small print Lambswool rich....I checked a label in one jumper,50% nylon !....

Oi Polloi have Lee cords, has anyone seen them ? good,bad,indifferent ? they look ok in the pictures but that doesnt mean a lot these days.

Last words from me on Deerstalkers...I have seen the one that I like the Failsworth Deerstalker,Harris Tweed in a nice Herringbone with a Satin lining,made in England and sells for betwen £35-£40.
    There is also a Failsworth Grouse hat in blue Herringbone,a sort of countrified bucket hat,looks alright to me.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Something like that ?
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

A bit more shapeless than that ..

1 person likes this.
  7. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Ahh too bad. If it had gone until today I could've entered as I wore a fair I'm currently wearing a fairisle slipover I wore to mass this morning with my son.

[​IMG]

Edit: oh, and blue trousers, too![​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Really too bad as you look the dog's '...

3 people like this.
  9. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I don't know how many times I'd almost bought a hat like that-- and never pulled the trigger. I think I wear too much tweed and wool to pull that thing off with credibility. Love those hats. It's a Tyrollean, right?

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

No it's a Clouseaullean.

1 person likes this.
  11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Funny that you should mention the Tyrol,after our talk about hats the other week I was thinking about hats that i had seen when I travelled in Southern Germany,Austria,Northern Italy.
    All variations on the same theme,a deep crown ( probably to stop them being blown off in mountainous blizzards ?) with a narrowish brim,I have seen them in stiff corduroy,felt and some kind of tweed.
    I guess the Grouse hat is the British version ? although slightly different with its floppier brim.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr Knightley

I agree - it looks so natural too, where some of this week's FC entries are bordering on costume IMO.

Navy trousers working well too @Botolph !

13. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

I worked in Scunthorpe in 92- was probably the only Londoner there- the blokes thinking I was the epitome of southern flashiness used to call me the Drury Lane Fan Dancer

3 people like this.
  14. Mr Knightley

Oh, you would! I have finished ahead of EFV too but not this week...

Interesting to see comments about Fairisle not looking right under a jacket. That look has been around since at least the 1920s.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr Knightley

Not heard of Patrick - must investigate.

Back in the day I wore Brut, Dior's Eau Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy and Monsieur Rochas. These are all still in my current rotation. The scent goes on...

Since joining Basenotes in about 2003 I have branched out a bit. My current favourites are Creed's Millesime Imperial, Trumper's Eucris, Vetiver de Puig and, in December only, cK Obsession.

2 people like this.
  16. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Thanks Mr K. The "costume" thing is what immediately sprang to mind when I saw that thread yesterday. I don't think some of those fellows actually leave their digs wearing those retina-scarring color combinations.

Blue trousers- due to eight years of parochial school as a child, I think they're just in my DNA [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Regarding chatter on Navy Blue, I've got a slight problem with this colour, in so much as its general over use clothing wise.
    My brother for example- very decent fella in a straight laced way, pretty much only wears navy, and there are many more like him.
    In my view navy needs to broken up with say pink, pale blue, or yellow, but more often than not one sees jeans combined with navy jumpers, underneath a navy jacket- BORING.....
    I was thinking the other day I probably own more brown than blue stuff. I'm aware that brown is not everyone's cup of tea but it's slightly braver than blue in my book.

1 person likes this.
  18. covskin

covskin Senior member

I was just writing that! @Botolph and @Mr Knightley are real-world examples, not dress up from daddy's chest. I don't do cologne that much but Chanel egoiste is nice in the cold.

2 people like this.
  19. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I think that navy blue suits are so popular because of their versatility. Some fellows who don't want to or can't we arsed with owning more than one suit would do well with a navy number. It can be dressed up or down according to occasion and looks neither too somber nor to festive on its own. It's not a black, funereal color, trying to pass off as black-tie-lite, nor is it grey, which takes a modicum of imagination to pull off(though I find it safe as houses).

I'm with you on the brown clothing-- although for me it *just* outranks various hues of blue in my wardrobe.
    I have a nice, subtly-colored, brown POW suit with something similar to this pattern:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Come on mate,one of them actually made it out on to his balcony !