1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

In a way I agree with you,but what you have to remember is that 80% of the general public are as thick as pig shit.
    They get every idea from TV or films including their 'knowledge' of history.
    Many years ago I had a white Bull terrier ( which is known to the public here as an English bull terrier,nobody knows why ) I would be subjected to some stupidity on a weekly basis,people telling me that 'Pit bull' should be muzzled or 'oh its one of those Oliver twist' dogs etc etc.
    So I dont think that we should worry to much about their perceptions.
    Yes I know that I mentioned Captain Mainwaring a while back so I am not infallible.

Now the '2 item rule' is something that i have devised its not a law but a guideline,and I absolutely admit its down to my fear of being classed as 'dressing up' as a suedehead/whatever,and the harshest critic of 'dressing up' is me !
    I know that other people especially on Mod to Suedehead seem to love it when some random bloke 'nods to them knowingly' ( puke ) or comes over and starts a conversation because of the way they are dressed, I would be mortified if that happened ( it hasnt yet thankfully ) the thought of some bloke I dont know saying something like "I can see your one of us" is quite revolting....thus the '2 item rule'.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Re having the piss taken over items- combinations of clothes- not too long ago I went out with mates for the night wearing a navy Aquascutum blazer, orange Smedley v neck, plus matching orange linen shirt.
    Got called Easyjet all bleeding night!
    I agree with the notion that most people are gormless. You've only got to look at what programmes top the TV ratings to work that one out

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

If you wear anything different you will get comments.

So a tie at a Christmas meal is "dressed up", for example.

You either accept that or dress like everybody else to fit in.

"The Look" people are lucky compared to the "Mod/Suedehead" people, insofar as their clothes are not immediately pegged as a particular "costume".

1 person likes this.
  4. covskin

covskin Senior member

Contrasting top/bottom seems to be all about balancing the top-heavy asymmetry of the body. Light advances and dark recedes so colour alone can balance a dark top/light bottom but additional balancing factors are required the other way around, perhaps by using the disruptive effect of a fairly large-grained pattern to visually reduce the lighter top or by lifting the hem of the lighter top to physically reduce it in size.

1 person likes this.
  5. ShortBackAndSides

ShortBackAndSides Active Member

I've been reading the deerstalker debate with great interest. I have two, one from a local shop that sells everything cheap, which was brand new for about a fiver, and is in various shades of gray/grey. Then another one in brighter colours from Arthur Shepherd of Cambridge, which cost much more, which has a suede tie lace on it. Love them both but have seldom worn them, not worried about the Sherlock connection, more the football hooligan association. See this video at the 26 second mark from just the other week : .

1 person likes this.
  6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that the problem with the Deerstalker in that video is that its so distinctive.
    How many Barbour jackets,flat caps or check scarves were in the clip ? lots of course but there was only 1 Deerstalker and it did stand out.
    Would anyone not wear the other items because of that clip ? doubtful.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree that pattern,Dog tooth or Window pane or as TWD mentioned texture maybe Twed or Herringbone is the answer.
    I have a Beige Harrington and I have never worn it much as its lighter than all my jeans and trousers.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I think part of the not-wanting-to-be-noticed feeling is deep in the Englishman's make up. Beau Brummel is supposed to have said that if John Bull turns to look at you, then you are not well-dressed; but either too stiff, too tight or too fashionable. I think he had his tongue partly in his cheek, but I get that sentiment entirely.

While the modern equivalent of John Bull - and especially his missus or tart - just want to be looked at, the man of taste still has @cerneabbas fear of being singled out as wearing something different or showy. Even on the odd occasion when I venture to the Ad-Lib club or somewhere, I still feel a need personally to 'tone it down' a bit.

I like @Kingstonian 's comparison between the M to S guys and those that more regularly post here.

9. covskin

covskin Senior member

Mod to suedehead 'practitioners' seem to be a bit younger, so they can get away with it, for now at least!

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Ha ha! Good point @covskin

1 person likes this.
  11. Kingstonian

You could wear the deerstalker if you were after a John Mcririck 'character' look.

'Double carpet, Burlington Bertie', etc. Etc.

Yet old blokes wearing cargo shorts with fleeces and coats in the UK in December and nobody bats an eyelid. 'Go figure' as they say.

2 people like this.
  12. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

I'd add to the above fat middle aged blokes wearing replica football shirts.
    I remember reading a debate in a newspaper over whether fans are being ripped off with the price and constant changing of kits.
    Some postman from Bury- a Utd fan- said he didn't mind, and by wearing the latest top he knew he was ' staying in fashion'.
    I remember thinking they are the complete opposite of fashion- shiny, blingy, just fucking horrible.
    I've followed my team and can proudly say not once in 40 years have I worn a replica shirt to the game

2 people like this.
  13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think the same about replica shirts,when the club announce that this seasons shirt is now available in xxxxl I cringe.
    However I did buy and wear on a hot day a Fruit of the loom Ringer T shirt with the old club badge embroidered onto it,its like a Retro mock up of the early 70s shirts although they didnt have a badge,nearly as bad as a Replica shirt but not quite (imo) and cotton not sweaty smelly nylon.
    I remember a grey England kit that was apparently designed to look 'good' with jeans !
    Do the replica shirts come complete with ketchup stains ? or is that a bit of customisation by the wearer ?

1 person likes this.
  14. Kingstonian

Football shirts are not really for grown ups.

If you want one, the old school cotton ones are at least free of advertising and in recognised club colours not a third strip etc...

Toffs do them.

You will not need to change them every season either.

2 people like this.
  15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes,thats the idea behind the Retro type T shirts.
    I dont even think that the players look good in the modern kits,all the badges,logos and advertising spoil them, I much preferred the 60s/early 70s kits,plain,simple and classy the 66 England kit for one,but most around that time were classics.

16. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

I have got a couple of cotton Umbro retro numbers which I slip into every now and then but still wouldn't wear to the game- even cup finals.
    I've also got the classic red 66 World Cup Final shirt in cotton long sleeve which gets an airing at pubs every 2 years during tournament football- I wouldn't mind an original Kevin Keegan era Admiral job- which go for serious dough- Wales who did fantastic in the Euros, the late 70s Brian Flynn esque tops- admiral again- original offerings were going on eBay for about 300 notes.
    Cotton good- nylon shit

17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I dont think that I will be wearing the Retro t shirt to any cup finals either.
    For me the Admiral period was when it all started going wrong,Totts and Leicester being the worst kits back then.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I can remember seeing a Grey blazer with Navy window pane overcheck online recently but I cant remember where,maybe that would go with Navy trousers.
    I have a Blue Herringbone Harris Tweed jacket that I have worn with Navy trousers which I thought looked ok.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I found these cuts from Brooks Brothers catalogue(s). I don't know the date, but i like the drawings - and clobber.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  20. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

1 person likes this.