1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that quite a lot of shoemakers offer a Dainite sole on their shoes now.
    I have them on my suede Derby shoes,I think that comfort and being longer lasting are positives as much as Dainites better performance in adverse weather.

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Fruitbat, good buy that.

You may want to explore a couple of options. Simple suede cleaner other brands suppliers available I just know these guys to be A1 on customer service etc They are AFPOS and are from Lemmington Spa and SF Affiliates.

With suede that has 'had some life' you can also burn off (yes, with a lighter) some fluff or piling. Takes a steady hand, though I don't think those need that.

With regard to the make-up it is not unusual at all to have a dainite sole on a suede shoe/boot. Thing is with just one spray of a suede protector and then repeat every 4-6 months, so not labour intensive or costly, suede shoes are perfect in all sorts of shite weather. When it all just runs off your shoes there's no grief.

Here's one of mine over four years old worn in rain, snow and all sorts.

[​IMG]

The only other thing to note is that dainite isn't necessarily 'grippier' than leather, I know that to my cost!

2 people like this.
  3. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Good stuff, Cleav.

I agree with your last point and would say they can actually be 'slippier' than leather - almost like a Clarks Desert Boot feel at times!

1 person likes this.
  4. covskin

covskin Senior member

Yep, if I was getting a brogue again (and I probably will) I would go for the royal+dainite Loake Sovereign as mentioned by Botolph. An explicitly wet weather shoe (in origin at least) with a wet weather sole is a kind of harmony.

Something a bit louche about that suede+dainite combo Fruitbat, a shoe (like crocodile leather) suited to the natural habitat of the soulboy perhaps.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have to disagree here MrK, I find crepe soles very grippy,to be fair I havent worn them on every surface,or in icy conditions.
    Dainite is quite hard so unlike crepe it will not grip as well.
    I cant prove this as I am not a scientist but in my experience different rubber soles can become slippery on various surfaces in different weather conditions.
    I gave a pair of walking boots away because the rubber sole was quite hard and on some worn stones in the rain the boots were dangerous,I also have a pair of Catepillar steel toe caps that are great most of the time but very slippery on concrete paths in the rain.
    Soldiers used to wear leather soled boots with studs,now these are reserved for parades when crashing around and making a noise is a benefit,for everyday marching or in training etc they have rubber soles.
    imo Goodyear welted shoes are the best quality ( or maybe Norwegian stitched ?) but the alternative of the Dainite sole has improved them in lots of ways.

2 people like this.
  6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Interesting stuff @cerneabbas

I am a boring sort of bloke and recently attended a half-day workshop given by a very nice lady from the Health and Safety Laboratory at Buxton. They are just starting a trial of slip-resistant footwear that I may have some future involvement in (in a work-related capacity) so I'll keep you chaps posted!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Having a Goodyear welt is independent of what kind of sole you may choose. IIRC veldtschoen are supposed to be truly waterproof and I don't think they have Goodyear welts.

I have snuff suede Chelseas with a dainite sole. I'm curious as to how dainite actually performs in rain and snow but happy to report I've never had the chance to find out.

I do know from personal experience that crepe soled dessies are a liability on wet surfaces especially ceramic type tiles.

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes I realise that the Goodyear welt doesnt mean any particular sole,what I was trying to say was that i think a Goodyear welted shoe is the best that you can get,and that the option of a Dainite sole has improved things (imo) as 'back in the day' Goodyear welted shoes only came with leather soles (in my experience).
    Veldtschoen are interesting as I bet most peoples experience of Veldtschoen is like mine in that they have only seen British made versions and those will be Goodyear welted.
    I have a pair of Barker Ludlows ,they look like Veldtschoen shoes worn by British officers,they are Goodyear welted but I wouldnt wear them for walking in rough conditions,there are more suitable boots about now.

I expect that there is a type of shoe sole out there that is grippy on every surface in every climatic condition...and I expect that we wouldnt like the look of it,practicality and style rarely seem to come together.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have found some more Shetlands...Leith...some nice colours and a good chart explaining their sizing,my big problem ordering online.

1 person likes this.
  10. covskin

covskin Senior member

1 person likes this.
  11. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

1 person likes this.
  12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

My most recent buy arrived yesterday a long sleeve Supima cotton polo from Lands End.
    Thanks to everyone who mentioned Lands End on this thread or by PM,I have bought several items from them now and have been happy with the quality and the fast delivery.
    The only negative (imo) on their polos are the 'tortoiseshell buttons' I prefer buttons the same colour as the polo,I buy 3 the right colour and replace them,it costs less than a pound and doesnt take long,this time I cut 3 navy buttons off of an old polo that was worn out ( recycling ! ) so it didnt cost anything...looks much better and I know that I wont see anyone wearing exactly the same.

1 person likes this.
  13. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

I'm guessing that's Cape Cod or thereabouts in the background.
    Boston and New England, stating the obvious was crucial in the development of the look.
    I visited a mate of mine 20 odd years ago who had moved about half an hour north of Boston- remember seeing some well turned out geysers in Marblehead, in a yaughty- preppy fashion.
    Butolph might be able to help out here?
    Was the Ivy League look confined solely to rich turds, or did the working class stick its oars in?
    I.e. Clued up kids, who didn't have a lot of dough but saved up for bits and bobs....
    Was there any subculture action going on?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Veldtschoen is a completely different construction method to a standard Goodyear welt. That is why it has the waterproof claim
    http://loomstate.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/lotus-veldtschoen-guaranteed-waterproof.html

I have Hoggs veldtschoen shoes in Zug and a Cheaney for M&S boot. (Probably the best footwear Marks ever offered).
    http://loomstate.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/veldtschoen-variations.html
    Soles on both are Itshide Commando.

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes I understand that Veldtschoen construction is different to Goodyear welted.
    The point I was trying to make was that most people will have only seen modern British made shoes that look like Veldtschoen but are actually Goodyear welted like the Barker Ludlow that I mentioned.
    Lotus were famous for Veldtshoen but they have been gone for about 40 years ?
    Are those M&S Cheaneys Veldtschoen ? fair play if firms are still making them and people want them,as I said I wouldnt buy a pair for walking in,I have 2 pairs of walking boots both by Lowa and they are brilliant,waterproof,good grip, comfortable....again stylish they arent.
    To be honest I bought those Barkers because they were a bargain,I have worn them once or maybe twice,they dont fit in with any of my clothes and they dont really fit into my idea of 'the Look'....another purchase that I didnt think through.

16. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Yes Cheaney are veldtschoen.

They are not modern technical shoes or boots, but I like having them anyway. Heritage and a retro look without agricultural broguing maybe? Most people would not recognise veldtschoen as such.

I have walking boots if I want to do serious walking.

2 people like this.
  17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that one of the problems for me with Veldtschoen is that they remind me of Captain Mainwaring,but yes they do have a retro type charm.

One other item that I was tempted to buy that crosses the outdoor/style divide was the Barbour Astern waterproof poncho..we have got them ( not Barbour) for walking,they weigh next to nothing,pack down small and if it rains they go on over everything rucksack included,great in summer downpours to because you can wear them over a shirt and not get sweaty.
    I bottled out of buying the Barbour though,it would have been perfect at football for instance,but imagine the stick you would get 'hey its Clint Eastwood' or 'Skint Westwood' from assorted comedians,so I am sticking to the Peter Storm cagoule.

18. Cleav

C&J Snowdon would have made Mainwaring move a little quicker no doubt Cern! They are extremely comfortable and much better value if picked up via the FS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Nice but I preferred your C&J Skye that I saw on another thread,really lovely...are they the boot version of the Pembroke ?

20. Cleav

Pretty much mate just different lasts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.