The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. covskin

covskin Senior member

Think I have seen these somewhere - they reminded me a lot of basketweave norwegians, only without the basketweave. Is that the case or am I mis-remembering? You don't seem to see basketweave norwegians anywhere these days, definitely one of the most obscure look items. The only image I can find on google is frontal (and squarer!) but I remember the soles to be a bit dressier than those on the paraboot, though perhaps equally stacked at the heel.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

I haven't picked up any of their sport shirts but I stocked up on their $79 made in usa oxfords while they were doing them, such a bargain. They only did them in white, blue, and blue university stripe I think. Now they have expanded their made in usa line but have bumped the prices almost double.

I recently picked up a pair of Clark's desert boots in Horween leather. They were made overseas like all Clark's now but at least I know the leather came from the US and is good quality. Sold out on Clark's site but you can find them on Amazon. They are fantastic. Get whatever size you normally wear in Clark's desert boots eg usually a half size down from your normal size.
    https://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/desert_boot_men/26066304

[​IMG]

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Check them out on the Paraboot site,they are made in France and good quality,in fact they have a good range of shoes.
    You are right I haven't seen the basket weave shoes for many years,quite a heavy shoe with a leather sole not sure if I would wear them now.

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I was on Brooks Brothers website the other day and they had BD Popover shirts for $37.50,but not available in the UK,their shirts are quite expensive over here but I definitely want to get one or two this year.
    Those boots look good to me,funny enough I saw a girl wearing desert boots today I said to my mate that I cant ever remember seeing that before.
    Are those Golden Bear harringtons easy enough to find in America ? I thought that they had a few good colours in the pictures on their website.

5. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

They are sold through a shop here in San Francisco called Union Made, and through the Union Made website. I've never seen them in any other shops. Pretty sure they ship internationally.
    http://unionmadegoods.com/

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Ivy types seem to be into vintage clothing in a big way but what about us, does vintage have any place in the look ongoing?

7. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Amazon uk seems to be sold out. They do look lovely but I guess it was a one-off collaboration?

8. Mr Knightley

Over on mod to suedehead I have noticed an interesting trend. The original mods / skinheads have no particular desire to seek out vintage pieces most being happy to update their look rather in the way we envisage it here. The younger posters seem to want to try to replicate the look of 1969 almost to the last button (which is essentially pointless as the Look continued to evolve weekly) and can identify a genuine pair of 1967 Lee Riders from a very fuzzy pic - or so they claim. Like Ivy types, they can't get enough of the vintage gear.

Does vintage gear have a place in an evolving style? Yes, I think it can do when mixed with modern pieces. I also think some items will look just 'right' one year but not perhaps again for another five. I have a 1986 Ferre heavy winter jacket in dark navy that I wore for three or four winters when I first bought it new but then consigned it to the back of the wardrobe. A few years ago I had my tailor tweak it a bit, wore it two or thee times then retired it again. This last winter I had a little more work done on it and wore it throughout the season. But the only way it feels right is when teamed with new stuff - I couldn't conceive of wearing it with wide-legged, pleated 1980s trousers and loose-fitting Armani knitwear, which is how I would have worn it back in 1987. Similarly, a 1960s Tootal scarf will look good with today's coat or Harrington but a threadbare 1968 Crombie with it could not be entertained IMO.

9. Mr Knightley

The Look Goes on?

Hate the scarf but rather like the rest. cerneabbas - the shoes??

[​IMG]

10. Gsvs5

Gsvs5 Senior member

Somewhat,but in my opinion some Classic pieces that emerged from that period have either continued to be in production and/ or improved upon.
    I had what to me was a revelation of an observation recently.i spotted a man who was clearly in his mid 60's in the most well cut,fitted mod suit I had possibly ever seen.
    Absolute perfection.
    The suit was the first thing I saw.As I looked up and I recognized the man from Stamford Hill,and things turned sour for me.
    Here was a relatively old man in a young mans suit,and it just didn't work.it didn't matter that the suit was perfect,nor that he was confident and in fine shape,the picture was just wrong.
    There lies the problem with me.Older blokes looking at suits from places like Adam etc are destined to run into trouble IMO.these styles are stuck in a period,and can not be worn OTP convincingly by middle aged men.
    MTM does not guarantee you will not look like a caricature either,unfortunately.
    There is a reason that shoemakers very gradually update their lasts over the years,so as to move forward without shocking the establishment.Dressing well and being age appropriate is a fine balancing act.

11. ModxDave

ModxDave Member

My wife works a stone’s throw from Union Made, (very dangerous haha) I popped in a few days ago to check out the Golden Bear stuff. All of it is VERY nice; the cloth is solid and will last forever. I am looking to get the burgundy Mac a.s.a.p.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

covskin and Mr Knightley have brought up a subject that I have been thinking about this week "vintage" and authenticity.

On this thread and the Mod to Suedehead thread the harrington has been discussed this week,for many years the Baracuta G9 has been the one that has been seen as the authentic harrington,but now it seems to have lost its credibility ? and perhaps its affordability since Baracuta was bought by an Italian concern.

So,what to do? buy a vintage Baracuta ? or look at a different make of harrington ? maybe the Golden Bear brought to our attention here by kicksinstyle it certainly looks good and the firm has some history and an ethical stand point.

Apparently the original harrington style jackets were made by Baracuta and Grenfell in the 1930s,seems that Grenfell still make one,so it has authenticity and heritage/history on its side but at £300 is it overpriced ? seems a lot for a jacket whatever its quality to me ( notorious penny pincher that I am ).

I am not against the idea of buying a vintage coat/jacket,a shirt I don't like the idea of as its been worn next to the skin,so if I saw a G9 in good condition at the right price and in the right colour I might go for it.

I do have a few cheaper harringtons and the blue one is my favourite although it was the cheapest,and I would buy another cheapo one if I liked the colour or look of it.

BTW my Barbour Ashby in navy blue arrived today,it looks good IMO,and because it was in a sale at 50% of its normal price it seems like a good buy,unfortunately the GF says that I now have to buy a Range Rover and a retriever.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I am also not keen on the scarf or the bearded look
    The shoes,now the uppers look good but the tread on the soles is too heavy for me.

14. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Shave and ditch the scarf (or at least trade it out for a more classic one), and this is pretty sweet. I'd like the shoes better w/o such a gnarly tread, but I dig their creeper-ish height.

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Check out the Paraboot Michael,thick (ish) rubber sole with less tread,I cant praise their quality enough,kindly recommended to me by Clouseau on the Mod to Suedehead thread.