1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

Agree with the Peter Storm. They reissued their classic model both in overhead and full zip last year. They must not have been too popular as they went on sale fairly soon after they were released. I grabbed both a classic overhead green one and an orange full zip fora total of about £35 from Blacks. I have too many jackets haha!

1 person likes this.
  2. covskin

covskin Senior member

Sparsely-filled sports shops and crammed-full jeans shops, could be one for the 'during the 70s' thread.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. AngryYoungPoor

I just stumbled upon the Oxfam website. There is quite a bit of quality knitwear at fairly good prices for second hand items. Many seem to be new with tags and £7 shipping to the US or EU.
    I'm sure that the mrs will be thrilled with my new discovery [​IMG]

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

5. benj84

benj84 Senior member

yes can remember one in Sheffield called racquets. It had made in England Fred perrys for 20quid. Nice thick quality polos. That was the late 90s. I only bought one.wish I'd got more but only had a weekend shop job at 3.06 an hour

6. benj84

benj84 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG] picked up this one from the local charity shop for fiver. Full zip not smok but made in great Britain

2 people like this.
  7. benj84

benj84 Senior member

[​IMG]probably can't tell from PIC but freds from the 90s were much more substantial quality than now

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

On the subject of Fred Perrys,I bought on in 74 with my first weeks wages,the FP was £4 Navy with light blue trim,I bought a MIE the same colour this year £75 !...mind you my wages have increased slightly too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Like the sound of that Jaeger who I think are a cut above, even though things have gone bandy for them of late.
    I don't like the word casual, even though we went to football we thought of ourselves as Soul Boys-Greg Edward at the Lyceum, Drovers Old Kent Road- we used to come back in a different motor every night.
    Going back to diamond knitwear, I remember watching golf on Grandstand in 81- Tony Jacklin had a pink, white and red diamond Pringle on. It was the talk of school the next day; we all wanted one of those.
    Oddly enough I recall my mum saying what a horrible jumper that fellas got on- it was a trifle Bertie Worcester looking back- anyway my response was your having a ...... laugh!
    I would have asked for one as a birthday present but I was lucky to get a football.
    Where I grew up Soulboys- if you were fashion conscious, was the only show in town.
    100'per cent, direct descendants of Mod.
    Loads of elitism. The golf shop observation was spot on- we got the nod or a Golf Shop in South Croydon which was a fair trot from Inner South London- Diamond L and S's, Pringles in unusual colours which must have had very small production runs- would love to obtain catalogues from those 2 showing what exactly was put out between say 80 and 83.
    I didn't like the Tachini tracksuit bottoms look- seen more class in a Mitchum launderette- but dogtooth Farahs, mock crocks, Aquascutum blazer end was superb IMO.
    We were quite creative; Me mum sewed on brass buttons on a pale blue Lacoste cardi for me once.
    The main reason I quit A- Levels in 83, was because I was money hungry to buy clothes.

3 people like this.
  10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Spotted in a charity shop today. Size 42, good brand. I can imagine this would look good with the right gear, collar turned up...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Nice colour M-o-M.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

This really is an excellent post.
    Although I would like to wear quite a few items that I wore in that period,it wouldnt do...not age appropriate !
    Jaeger were quality then,now like lots of others its patchy,some looks good,some is rubbish.
    Soulboy wasnt a term down here,tbh I dont know if 'Casual' was at first.
    Some of the slightly younger guys here ( Bristol) were right into it,funnily enough a few weeks ago they were asking about Paraboot Michaels that they had worn then.
    I have a few stories that happeneed when I was wearing that Jaeger jumper,it certainly attracted trouble.
    I didnt like the tracksuit trousers look but jeans and tracksuit top was ok ( I didnt do it then though).
    Got to ask you,South London,why Chelsea and not Millwall ? wheres the demarcation line ?.

Thinking back,and looking at other threads on Styleforum where groups have things made up for them ( Trickers boots / shoes for instance), if we found a manufacturer who would make an item up for us what would we choose ? OK its a hypothetical question but could we all agree on one item that we would all like in our version of 'the Look' ?

13. Mr Knightley

A lovat green marl v neck in merino wool with a 1960s / 70s-style deeper V. Who could make that? John Smedley?

1 person likes this.
  14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Going to be Smedley Mr K,or Lyle and Scott...Pringle had a deeper V than L&S but Pringle have disappeared.

How about getting Ben Sherman to knock up a dozen OCBD shirts in their early 70's design and pastel colours ?..I would have a pink one !
    Or Lyle and Scott to make up a dozen Lambswool V or Crew necks in their original weight with tonal eagle logos ?

Possibly more likely in limited numbers would be tie / pocket squares or silk scarves.

1 person likes this.
  15. AngryYoungPoor

My vote is for Lyle & Scott. I am admittedly a knitwear junkie and I spend unhealthy amounts of time scouring EBay and thrifts for vintage L&S, Pringle, and Ballentyne made in Scotland (particularly Hawick) jumpers. Lambswool or cashmere argyle v necks would be amazing (I'm also a fan of solid coloured round necks). I do recall about 10 years ago the brand "80s Casuals" had a factory in Hawick do a run of plain jumpers for them. I purchased one and it was a bit more substantial than current L&S but on par with the older numbers that I have.
    If Ben Sherman could somehow resurrect their factory in Brighton I'd be interested but having worked for BS for 8 years i know that is an impossibility [​IMG].

2 people like this.
  16. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

Regarding the Millwall-Chelsea South London split, places like Battersea, Brixton Hill, Stockwell were staunch Chelsea, Vauxhall and Kennington were a mixed bag but probably slightly more Millwall.
    Herne Hill, Tulse Hilll were mixed, anywhere east of Camberwell was generally Millwall.
    Funnily enough Chelsea and Millwall generally got on, and there was quite often an overlap- Chelsea blokes occasionally nipping down Millwall and vice versa.
    Hardly any white working class blokes who used to live in these areas seem to reside there anymore.
    They all live in Suburbs now

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  17. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Interesting,I did have to look up Tulse Hill on the map,I find some of the geographic and historic reasons for support of various clubs fascinating,London clubs particuarly.. Arsenal fans in SE London because the club started in Woolwich,Millwall on the Isle of Dogs etc.
    Chelsea got a lot of support from the Home Counties,but the South in general,we had plenty from Bristol who went to Chelsea...but lots here had bigger second teams who they would go and watch on occasion.
    I think that Millwall had a lot of fans in Basingstoke ?...I guess that so called slum clearance and relocation moved fans out of London and into New towns,if thats right i suppose that when they came into London for a match they would see new fashions and take those ideas home,helping to spread things.
    I think that the White working class shifting to the Suburbs is the same in a few cities,if people dont travel back into the city for work or football etc they are not going to pick up on new fashions....mind you on my last trip to London apart from our group at the 'meet up' I didnt see anyone that I thought looked well dressed.

18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Older L&S is quality pariticuarly when the logo was embroiderred into the wool,I dont like the Yellow Eagle its to 'in yer face' for me.
    Pringle had the logo as the name,or the name and lion or sometimes just the lion,occasionally on the sleeve,I prefered the lion on its own even if he does look a bit Chelseaish !
    Although I dont rate the L&S lambswool jumpers now,I had a lambswool scarf for Chrismas 2 years ago and thats really nice.

Ben Sherman did make nice shirts in the 70's,they were the dearest of the BDs worn here,Brutus was next (nowhere near BS quality) and then Jaytex,there were others but I am talking mainstream...I had a nice yellow Arnold Palmer BD given to me then but again it wasnt as good as a BS.
    Sad to see Ben Sherman as poor as they are now,those pastel OCBD in long sleeve or short sleeve were really good.

2 people like this.
  19. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Gents, thanks for your votes. I finish at the second place at the FC, it is my best result so far. The winner picture was by far the best, and there were other strong challengers, So i have nothing to regret ! :)

4 people like this.
  20. Mr Knightley

A great result, Monsieur! There were some very strong contestants this week. Yours was the best outfit by far IMO but the winner did produce the best pic, as you say.

1 person likes this.