• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking of Polo's,I almost exclusively wear long sleeve ones these days,which I never did as a kid.I like them with a barrel cuff though,which cuts down on choices as they are not so easy to come by.I really do not like the Eidos shawl type collar that seems to draw many admirers.If possible I would choose a full spread over any.I have a number of custom made and also off the rack.Here are a few:

L-R :polo,Kent Wang,Lands End,Saks Fifth Ave.

KW is the heaviest and runs a bit large.Polo is lightest and probably my least favorite.LE is nice quality and has unusual cutaway collar.SFAis great Piqué,with a nice mid weight hand.

Don't recall why or when,but I was probably influenced by this guy:

That's a very cool selection @Gsvs5 and interesting styles. I must say I wasn't even aware of barrel-cuff polos until I joined SF.

I struggle with long sleeve polos as much as I do with short sleeve. I do have one or two that see some wear though. I'll post a pic at some point.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed an interesting polo on Mainline menswear this morning,an RL Oxford polo,4 buttons and a BD collar,I quite like the look of it ( apart from the logo ).

The other item I am thinking about for the summer is a Madras BD,should they be worn inside or outside the trousers ? the majority of pictures have them outside.
Has anyone seen any decent looking Madras shirts recently ? I haven't noticed anyone wearing them for quite some time.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed an interesting polo on Mainline menswear this morning,an RL Oxford polo,4 buttons and a BD collar,I quite like the look of it ( apart from the logo ).

That does sound interesting.

I know you don't like logos, but I remain pleased with my PRL bleeding Madras BD with asymmetrical pattern. Here worn inside:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The other item I am thinking about for the summer is a Madras BD,should they be worn inside or outside the trousers ? the majority of pictures have them outside.
Has anyone seen any decent looking Madras shirts recently ? I haven't noticed anyone wearing them for quite some time.

Beams+ does Madras in some muted plaids, O'Connell's has a boatload, as does Sid Mashburn and Ben Silver(all except B+ are Stateside but of course ship globally).
Only speaking for myself but I tend to wear long sleeved Madras untucked with sleeves rolled to the elbow, very casually. If I'm wearing a jacket or blazer I'd probaby opt for a seersucker shirt.

http://unionmadegoods.com/brands/beams/

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/search.php?mode=search&do_not_use_navigation=Y

http://www.sidmashburn.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Madras+shirt

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That does sound interesting.

I know you don't like logos, but I remain pleased with my PRL bleeding Madras BD with asymmetrical pattern. Here worn inside:

Nice picture Mr Knightley...pity the other tourists in the shot didn't have such good dress sense.
I saw this years RL Madras shirt in House of Fraser,its well made and decent material,not sure about the colour.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beams+ does Madras in some muted plaids, O'Connell's has a boatload, as does Sid Mashburn and Ben Silver(all except B+ are Stateside but of course ship globally).
Only speaking for myself but I tend to wear long sleeved Madras untucked with sleeves rolled to the elbow, very casually. If I'm wearing a jacket or blazer I'd probaby opt for a seersucker shirt.

http://unionmadegoods.com/brands/beams/

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/search.php?mode=search&do_not_use_navigation=Y

http://www.sidmashburn.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Madras+shirt

Thanks for those,I already looked at O'Connell's but I will look at the rest,Orvis have a couple but I am not keen on the colours.
Lyle and Scott have a nice one but their logo on the chest spoilt it ( for me), have you ever come across American Eagle Outfitters ? they have a nice coloured one but the short sleeves looked very short to me.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regrettably, even many of the locals in Roma seemed to have forgotten their heritage...

I'm never sure if a bleeding madras is meant to lose much colour over time - mine doesn't appear to have. It is a 'custom fit' in medium and today I would probably go for a large if in a custom or medium if classic fit.

Edit - Just found this and it looks a good read:

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/madras-guide-shirts-pants-history-where-to-buy/

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regrettably, even many of the locals in Roma seemed to have forgotten their heritage...

I'm never sure if a bleeding madras is meant to lose much colour over time - mine doesn't appear to have. It is a 'custom fit' in medium and today I would probably go for a large if in a custom or medium if classic fit.

A mate of mine had a couple Madras BDs,this was late 70s,I think that he bought them whilst overseas, one was pale green and yellow,looked slightly faded but stayed the same forever.

I was impressed with the Roman women though,as a Sicilian bloke once said to me "they even dress up and put their make up on to take the bins out"....not like some of them here wearing their pyjamas whilst taking the kids to school etc.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read the Gentlemans Gazette Madras article,well spotted Mr Knightley.
I really like the bloke from Ivy Style's jacket, I don't know if I would have the front to wear it though.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for those,I already looked at O'Connell's but I will look at the rest,Orvis have a couple but I am not keen on the colours.
Lyle and Scott have a nice one but their logo on the chest spoilt it ( for me), have you ever come across American Eagle Outfitters ? they have a nice coloured one but the short sleeves looked very short to me.

I tend to stay away from AE Outfitters for those very reasons. For further reading, see my above post on the North American Douchebag.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to stay away from AE Outfitters for those very reasons. For further reading, see my above post on the North American Douchebag.
Thanks for the warning.

There is a Madras shirt thread here on Styleforum, I have read a couple of pages,some interesting stuff, apparently 'bleeding madras' disapeared because the dyeing process improved.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the warning.

There is a Madras shirt thread here on Styleforum, I have read a couple of pages,some interesting stuff, apparently 'bleeding madras' disapeared because the dyeing process improved.

Haha, happy to help.
There are still companies that do "bleeding Madras", maybe with deadstock cloth? They'll specify that if so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads