1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

I think it is a good look, M-o-M! And I echo the comments about your daughter's great sense of style.

I like POW check but agree with @cerneabbas that it fades to grey over a short distance. Even so, I would bet your suit was in a more interesting cloth than 99.9% of the rest and with a superior fit! I like the paisley tie with the POW too. The Look Goes on...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. covskin

covskin Senior member

On grey and POW - I quite like my plain grey suit, goes well with a navy tie for me (has something of morning dress about it), and the vanishing effect of POW is one of the reasons I like it. Better than navy for that occasion MoM.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr Knightley

You often touch on morning dress. Looking back at British films of the 1960s you can't help but notice just how popular the Black Lounge / Stroller still was then. It started to disappear rapidly in the 70s.

I think it is a great shame that it is rarely worn at all now. It's odd that semi-formal evening wear has seen something of a resurgence of late where its daytime cousin is effectively moribund!

Perhaps we should make the next SF meet-up a morning wear occasion!

1 person likes this.
  4. covskin

covskin Senior member

And the music goes on...[not suitable for work]

Not mods, not from Sleaford, has all the anger and energy of the music I loved as a skinhead in the early 80s...but now

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Then and now, the corrosive indignity of 'welfare', reflected in the clothes, a different world to the ever on upward 60s

1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

^ yep, on tour now. Notts/Leicester accent with something to say!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr Knightley

7. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ bloke on the left is overdoing it, pure costume. Bloke on the right has a more current take but could look more so with lighter grey trousers and no waistcoat.

8. Mr Knightley

Bloke on the right looks rather undecided about the whole thing! I know what you mean about Tom Miler but it is nice to see it IMO.

Edit - I just realised you recommend dropping the vest. Captain Peacock is not amused:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Bloke on left has the Edwardian style, I used to like Upstairs Downstairs in the early 70s I thought the mens clothes looked very smart it was perhaps a pinnacle of smartness ? of course only for the very rich.

2 people like this.
  10. covskin

covskin Senior member

Yes it's nice to see it in the wild but this isn't! Over-elaborate compared to a couple of blokes I saw acting as ushers to some event in a cathedral a few months back who actually managed to look understated in their full morning dress. I think because it was absolutely minimal for what it was, no waistcoat lapels for instance, and they were comfortable wearing it

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that you are right about it being over- elaborate,I am also not keen on the waistcoat lapels,and the lapels on the coat dont look quite right somehow..
    Also wrong ( i think ) are the glasses,surely Cognac should be a Balloon glass ? those glasses look like the 'Sherry' glasses that used to be used at weddings years ago.

2 people like this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

You are absolutely right, it should be a balloon glass !
    It really looks like costume to me too, some of you know the TV show Mr Selfridge ?

[​IMG]

It suits the actor much better.

1 person likes this.
  13. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

I was thinking maybe he should be a teddy boy..

14. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Think that's what he was implying, fella.

15. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

I only just realized that now lol. maybe i should go back to school.

1 person likes this.
  16. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

The thrift gods are smiling on me this month haha I just found this beautiful Harris Tweed in my favorite spot. Full 3button stance, slim but not skinny and fits like a glove!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    6 people like this.
  17. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Just blagged a pic from Miss Mystery's phone that show the tie a bit better.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. covskin

covskin Senior member

Did you need to get a mortarboard with your gown MoM? Is it still Ede and Ravenscroft that provide the gowns on hire?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yes, still E&R, and you could get a 'board for photo sessions, not for the ceremony. I didn't bother because I didn't want to look like a total prat. ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

E and R are reputedly Londons oldest tailor, dating back to an astonishing 1689.
    There's a Church's shop on its doorstep in Chancelry Lane, which last time I was there struck me as much more staid than the Jermyn St branch, possibly because they would be dealing with mostly legal bigwigs rather than West End types.