1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

... from Magical Mystery Tour. Yes.

2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

1 person likes this.
  3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remember my brother and I getting Paisley ties as Christmas presents in 68 or 69,one Royal blue and Gold and the other one Dark green and Red...if I remember correctly.
    Looks good with the suit Mr Knightley.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Now bringing the tone down again...
    Inspired by the recent Ma1,bomber,Leather Trucker jacket discussions I have dug my black leather bomber jacket out again ( happens most years,tried on and put away again).
    I used to wear it with black boots and stone / khaki jeans,but imo that looks to 'thuggish' even worse now I look like an old thug ! wearing it.
    I am wondering can it be 'rehabilitated' by wearing it with black plains,grey trousers (possibly dark grey PoW check) and a long sleeve Pima cotton polo shirt ?

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr Knightley

Thanks mate.

I recall paisley being The pattern of the mid to late 60's. Not just for people ITK but it was worn very widely; even my dad, as you know, had paisley scarves and he had no particular interest in clothes.

Paisley was obviously a very strong favourite with mods but less so with skinheads back in the day. As you know, my own preference is for the looks of that period just before the 'uniform' became de rigueur and I have continued to wear paisley over the years, so I was delighted to see a number of examples in US shops. Jos. A. Bank in particular reminded me of some of the shops I used to patronise in the 60s, staffed with older gentlemen and with really good service.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mr Knightley

Worth a try, I should think.

I have always associated leather jackets with the old enemy - the Greaser. So I have never owned one of any type. Odd isn't it?

1 person likes this.
  7. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ not odd at all; they are the Devil's work

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Paisley was as you say very popular,later the Skinhead / Suedehead ties were mainly striped (in my area),I think that Mods had also worn Polka dot ties ?..I would wear any of them now.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes leather biker type jackets for Greasers or even the sheepskin lined ones with a sheepskin collar,words spelt out in studs on the back.
    Suede bomber jackets were quite popular with skinheads here,I had one mid 70s in navy,same style as Clouseaus Ma1 Uniqlo jacket.
    As you say leather was not popular with Skinheads although there were a few pictures of bombers like mine being worn then on the other thread.
    After my navy suede one I had several more suede ones but they get grubby and tatty and cost a lot to have cleaned.
    In the late 90s I saw a leather one in the same bomber style so I bought it and wore it quite a lot,leather jackets were everywhere in the mid 70s but you rarely see them being worn here now.

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think that I will have to ditch the chains if I start wearing mine again....

2 people like this.
  11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

You absolutely have to buy a 'veg' one :D !!

And bury the old one with all the honours due to the poor old cow who was sacrified.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    3 people like this.
  12. Man-of-Mystery

Stop press. All the talk about paisley ties reminds me that I will be giving my Adam PoW suit its first official outing this coming Saturday (my OU graduation ceremony) along with a paisley tie and matching hanky. My daughter will be there with camera-phone, so if there are any decent pics I will share them.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr Knightley

Looking forward to seeing the pictures M-o-M.

Will it actually be a matching hanky?

14. Man-of-Mystery

Indeed it will, purchased at the same time as the suit.

15. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I rarely post photos but I figured out how to block my ugly mug so I figured I'd give it a try haha.

Levi's Trucker
    Paul & Shark wool Bretagne jumper
    Uniqlo Selvdge
    Barbour fair isle socks
    Clarks DBs

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  16. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Is that the button-shoulder/anchor on arm P&S one? If so, great minds think alike. One of the few remaining items I kept from my embarrassing foray into "casuals" type gear. P&S has some incredible togs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  17. AngryYoungPoor

Mine has the metal anchor but no button shoulder. I do have a few of the St. James numbers with the button shoulders so I thought I'd change it up and get the crewneck version.
    I've sold on most of my old casual gear barring a few made in Scotland Pringle and Lyle & Scott jumpers. The P&S sweater has lasted about 12 years and still looks brand new. I've been on the hunt for the same one with a polo (turtle) neck but no luck so far haha.
    I think it fits in well with The Look without being too flashy.

1 person likes this.
  18. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I think thats a great interpretation of 'the Look',imo it is harder to do the day to day streetwear / casual clothes and pull it off than the suit and tie side of things.

2 people like this.
  19. Mr Knightley

The reason I asked was because I recall that as a very strong look back in the day, but one which has rather been abandoned of late - certainly by the igent eh? I am often seeing articles like this:

http://masculine-style.com/game-set-no-match/

As I say, I am looking forward to the photos.

1 person likes this.
  20. AngryYoungPoor

I pulled the trigger on these Quoddy chukka boots and they arrived last evening. Straight out of the box they are one of the most comfortable things I've ever put on my feet. They have nice clean lines, buttery leather and fall more on the Ivy side of The Look. They aren't cheap (I actually got a pair of "seconds" myself) but I think that Goodhood Store in the Smoke is a UK stockist so if you are in that area I HIGHLY recommend them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.