• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That may be tangential to the main discussion and we may have done this before but I wonder if other viewers can boil down their ideal look to a handful of images like Cerneabbas. I wonder how much diversity we'd see from contributors to this thread.

Great idea. I never really had idols, certainly none these days, but I remember getting this book fairly soon after seeing it in Virgin and liking the look in the centre, when I looked pretty much like the look on the left (even down to the patch, which surprised me)

0f77023d_1970kv2.jpg

Wouldn't wear it today (no to the colours, the high 3 buttons and the buttondown collar) but its simplicity and attitude still encapsulates something for me (it is also remarkably similar to the photo referred to by Cerneabbas and Clouseau above!).

Mostly though it is just remembering people in my mind's eye.

Last edited:

Soul Vision

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Has been posted before but here is a nice example from Mr K of keeping the mod ethic of detailing in a tasteful way alive at any age. Only somebody who really knows about 'the Look' would probably a) notice this and b) understand why it is done. It's not only the buttons but the beautiful sewing and shape of the pockets I think. In that way the 'secret code' they talked about in the 60's lives on...

Matching buttons on my bespoke Roger Crawford dogtooth trousers:

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife bought me a tie from shibumi for Christmas (first one from them) and I wore it yesterday:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/31845#post_8288275

It is perhaps one of the closest in look and feel to any that I had back in the day - in 1969 I had one with an almost identical pattern in blues, greens and lemon. Anyone remember these? Ties then seemed to be limited to woven stripe, plain wool or plain knitted or printed silk with a neat pattern. I don't really recall many others, do you?

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ties did seem to look a bit different back then, my dad's are plain wool or fairly plain polyester(?) with stripes/motifs not looking particularly woven. Colours fairly flat, could be a madder among them too. I remember printed silk even in my time, rippled if it got wet.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember cadging a red paisley tie from my dad. He had a dark blue one with the arms of Ulster on it; I don't know why, we had no connection with Northern Ireland, Ulster Unionism, the Orange Order or anything like that. In 1969 almost all of my ties were striped, and I still have one of them somewhere (London University colours, I think).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My last find in the sales, a Brutus Trimfit shirt. Very poor picture quality, the colours are really nice when you see the shirt 'in the flesh'. I'm pleasantly surprised with the shirt quality.

The new friday challenge is 'In the pink revisited'. I won't contribute as i've got nothing in pink. Well apart the usual suspect of course.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also saw a couple of nice BD shirts today,Gant Diamond G.
The logo was a 'G' but tonal with the shirt,I had to put my glasses on to see it ( that doesn't mean a lot though).
Only long sleeves but regular or fitted and in OCBD or a lighter weight cotton,the OCBD had pockets the lightweights didn't.
The website shows pink,white and light blue,but I saw a yellow one in the lightweight cotton that reminded me of an Arnold Palmer that I had 'back in the day'.
I notice that House of Fraser have the Gant BDs at £40...not available in your size however....

Gsvs5

Reaction score

What the **** is that handkerchief doing in a shirt pocket ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What the **** is that handkerchief doing in a shirt pocket ?
They sale it with the hanky, but it doesn't mean you have to wear it with the shirt though ! (Not me on that second picture
biggrin.gif
, i wear the shirt tucked in my trouser and with the neck button opened, of course)
Apparently, Brutus shirts always came with a handkerchief, even 'in the time'. Well you can always use it to wipe something... or to blow your nose.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bunch of nice Ralph Lauren b/d shirts turned up at the charity shop. :)

Size small. :mad:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After Clouseau posted the picture of his Brutus shirt I spent some time looking for a plain Brutus online.
I found that they make an OCBD ( plain and striped ),I thought that it looked good (of course it seems to be out of stock everywhere).
I don't remember a Brutus OCBD 'back in the day',they were popular for their bright checks / tartans,and I remember them in bright red and also black,I would say they were more popular with younger teenagers here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads