1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

TWD quote:
    I never heard the term 'Robot shoes' but after a bit Google I see they are the shoes from the mid eighties with pointy uppers a bit like Teddy Boy brothel creepers but with thin Doc Marten soles. I LOVED those shoes. They were available in all kinds of versions, including leopard skin as worn by the white kid in the 'Who are you mixing it with?' Southern Comfort ads that played at the cinemas back then. 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love?' as background music and a gorgeous creole cutie poured into a skintight red cocktail dress...
    End of quote

I thought i remembered that Robot was the name of the shop where you could buy the Cox shoes. I checked on the Net and yes, there were apparently several 'Robot' shops, the more famous one being on Kings Road in the 80s. I did buy mine on Kings Road in the eighties, but TBH i am not sure it was at the Robot shop, at this time they were So popular that you could buy them in several shop in the area...
    Gee i remember ( was it the same year? ) i bought on Kings Road a Tshirt ( maybe a McLaren-Westwood , but i am not sure either ) full of Japanese signs and flags... Same collection that the shirt Billy Idol wore on the cover of is first solo album.... Fashion disaster, OK, but i loved it...:embar:
    White wedding !

[​IMG]

edit: i think i've still got it somewhere!
    one of my best friends has got most of the originals 'SEX' shop Pistols Tshirts… They are a little fortune now...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Mr K...

I Hope you wasn't traumatized by this Billy Idol picture !
    Well punks and mods have in common to be the emblematic subculture of a generation. While Idol's Generation X was singing 'Your generation', the Pistols were doing a cover of 'Substitute'...
    And if the first generation skinheads were just following the mods, the second wave skins were the sons of punk...
    And the look goes on!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. covskin

covskin Senior member

I always saw punk as the complete rejection of all that hippy/prog rock 70s nonsense. In hindsight, a feeling parallel to that of the late 60s 'hard mods'. The early punk look could be fairly 'under the radar' too, just avoiding long hair and flares as far as possible was enough.

Clouseau, you sure you weren't a Japan (band) fan? Now there is a subculture/look now totally forgotten, think 'Japanese-themed New Romantic'.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

David Sylvian, still follow his (occasional) work

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Well yes, i liked in particular the work David Sylvian did with Ryuichi Sakamoto. The japanese-themed New Romantics are not totally forgotten among the europeans adepts of J-Pop. I was quite surprised a young girl i know knew Japan(Band), while she is a big fan of J-Pop, Manga, etc...
    But i always liked Billy Idol (well not now, his music is not good anymore), i think Generation X/GenX was one of the best punk bands.
    I am the same generation as you Covskin, and with my friends we were listening to the music of the time…

6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Ha ha! Although that musical genre was not my tasse de thé and although most menswear historians seem to set punk to one side when it comes to the evolution of the Look (claiming it was too much a middle class movement) I was not traumatised.

Good argument and I certainly felt some parallels at the time, I recall.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. covskin

covskin Senior member

Getting ganged up on by Japan fans lol. Music was a fairly divisive thing back then in my experience. Can appreciate some of it now though. Quite like listening to a bit of Bauhaus on youtube but back then it was just something a proto-goth girl did her strange little dance to

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Funny because i was thinking of Bauhaus (and this song of course) one page ago when TWD was mentioning he was going to a club in the mid 80s where 'Goths and semi-Goths" used to go...
    Speaking of Bela Lugosi, i had a Bela Lugosi Dracula Tshirt too, but that was in my 'skin' days (well i liked the Cramps and Plasmatics too… still have it but way too small!) [​IMG]
    Yes you're right, music was fairly divisive, but less once you went out of your 'tribe'...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

The man himself. Matchless!

1 person likes this.
  10. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I love Bauhaus. I was always getting ribbed by my (skinhead) friends for my love of indie and post punk music. Hahaha

11. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

My band (not a Mod band) did about 30percent covers including Bela Lugosi's Dead (which was often played in the club I mentioned earlier. Also 'Is Vic There?' (Dept. S), 'Red and Black' (Spizz), 'Teenage Kicks', 'Mirror in the Bathroom' ... I vetoed 'Rebel Rebel' and 'I Will Follow' as being too cliched! When that band broke up me and a couple of other mated did an acoustic set in the local community centre including Nightporter and Ghosts. Japan were class, way ahead of their time. Never saw them live but I did see Bauhaus in 1984.
    I always say the tribal variety back then was a lot of fun. You could look around the sixth form common room and know what kind of music anyone was into by the way they wore their barnet! A lot of the sectarian violence had subsided and the music in some of the clubs was seriously eclectic.

1 person likes this.
  12. Thin White Duke

I'm in this week's Friday Challenge over on CM if anyone wants a butchers. The challenge was wear something #menswear which I don't understand so gave it my best shot.

13. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I'm not quite sure what the parameters were either but I voted for you because you had the best outfit by a mile. I particularly like your jacket.

14. Mr Knightley

#Menswear, as I understand it, came about because of bloggers on tumblr and elsewhere using a #tag.

It came to be applied to the kind of outfit that displays a good dose of what has been referred to as sprezzatura - a kind of studied nonchalance proposed, albeit in a very different context, by Baldassare Castiglione in his work 'The Book of the Courtier' largely set in Urbino in Italy (pub. 1528). A good read if you haven't already done so.

What links the many diffferent outfits in this week's FC is hard to determine though...A case of the Emperor's New Clothes?

15. covskin

covskin Senior member

The lol thing is that #menswear shows no 'sprezz' whatsoever. Those people care too much and know too little. Fashion victims.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  16. Mr Knightley

When I have seen it done well on odd occasions, perhaps sometimes in Italy and rarely in London, I think 'yes!'. But I only very rarely see such success on the CM board. Somehow the fits too often appear less than the sum of their parts.

17. covskin

covskin Senior member

The whole less than the sum of the parts, now that *really* does sum it up. There is something of that in the look of people dressing #skinhead too. In outdoors stuff you often hear the saying 'all the gear, no idea' which is the same phenomenon. Aristotle's matter and form again, #menswear seems to lack an underlying form - the matter expresses nothing.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I think these challenges are less and less interesting. And it's always the same people participating. A real fairy tale.

1 person likes this.
  19. Thin White Duke

I'm still no wiser! But thanks for the vote AYP and anyone else who voted.

As for 'sprezzatura' I usually find those attempts to be just gimmicks that ruin an otherwise decent outfit. Deliberately not buttoning your collar buttons - why? Don't you own a shirt with a standard collar? I asked about a bloke on CM wearing a roll necked jumper and had his shirt collars pulled up to stick out the top of the roll neck - why? I've had a go at others who haven't mastered the ability to tie a tie and keep the front blade longer. I managed this at age five! I read an interview with Brunello Cuccinelli who said he has to re-tie his tie seven or eight times each morning to achieve the right amount of nonchalance!! Tit!

And at Mr K - 'studied nonchalance' - is that phrase in itself not the epitome of an oxymoron and thus just makes a mockery of the whole thing?

20. Mr Knightley

I read an interview with the famous Lino of al Bazaar who claims he always ties his tie without looking in the mirror. Anyway, it was soon time for the photographer to join them and Lino allegedly rushed straight to the nearest mirror to check his appearance!