1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The longest time you've spent at a store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylingazn, Feb 7, 2004.

1. stylingazn

stylingazn Active Member

So yesterday, I went to the mall with my friend. I didn't plan to buy much. I really needed a dress shirt, and dress shoes. It was like my 2nd time walking into club monaco. So I walk in, and I walk right to the clothing rack. I have honestly never spent a lot of time in a clothing store. How long do you guys usually take to try on clothes? I was in there for many 30-45 minutes, which is a LONG time for me. Me and my friend just took a bunch of clothes, went into change rooms next to each other, and just chilled while trying on clothes (sounds funny LOL) but yea, it was pretty cool. I hardly ever go shopping with guys. I never knew he was into clothes like me. I'm surprised ,because he was more of a skater type, and he was in club monaco. It was pretty cool lol...then some girls who worked there gave me some clothes they thought would look good on me, like 2 military styled dress shirts. Who here is into those? They look kinda weird with the strap on the shoulders. I ended up purchasing 3 items, totalling $320 Canadian. I got a white dress shirt with black pinstripes, a black dress shirt with white pinstripes, and a black zip-up sweater with a mockneck. I honestly never spent so long in a store. It really shocks me. How about you guys?

2. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

Uhh, I've spend upwards of two hours in Winners. When it's a store where you have to sort through a bunch of stuff to find really neat items, that's when I tend to take lots of time. In a store like Club Monaco, if I was actually interested in what they had (which I wouldn't be in Monaco's case), I could spend an hour trying different things on. I take awhile trying items on, because I like to walk around in them and check every possible area to make sure it's not ill fitting. I also don't like shopping with anyone. I like to at my own pace and do my own thing.

I do like military styled dress shirts.

3. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Last time I was in London, I spent almost an entire day (about 11-6:30) in Selfridge's.  Of course, that included a lunch at one of their (excellent) restaurants, as well as a late-afternoon cocktail.  I would imagine it's easy to spend an entire day at any of the large department stores in NY, London, or Paris.

4. Classic

Classic Senior member

Not counting the time that I was being measured for a bespoke suit, which turned into a family visit which included lunch and an afternoon snack, the most I have spent in a clothes store is two hours. The net result was the purchase of three shirts, a tie and a set of cuff links.

5. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Brioni store in Rome - you can watch the tailors work through the glass until security throws... I mean until they close.

3 hrs?

6. j

j Senior member Admin

I have 2 that are the same. I think they cost me $8 for two from the Sportsman's Guide. I have now had two people ask me where I got them because (I guess) they look oh-so-trendy. Well, they are just real military shirts from Italy or Croatia or something, and no they didn't cost $80 each. Silly fashionistas. [​IMG]

7. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Selfridge's is HUGE...... I could easily see one spending hours and hours there, and still not see everything.

I remember spending hours in the Ralph Lauren store, shopping for school clothes while in high school. I went to a private school, so I dressed exactly like you see in the RL adds (Blue blazer, button down collar, tan khakis, rep tie, etc.)

8. Alias

Alias Senior member

I like visiting the huge department stores around here, just to look. However, the salespeople always manage to scare me away with their overeagerness to "help." Of course, sometimes I get the salesperson who pretends I'm not there, and I breathe a silent sigh of relief, because that means I'm free to check out the goods on my own time.

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

2 military styled dress shirts. Who here is into those?
    I have 2 that are the same. I think they cost me $8 for two from the Sportsman's Guide. I have now had two people ask me where I got them because (I guess) they look oh-so-trendy. Well, they are just real military shirts from Italy or Croatia or something, and no they didn't cost $80 each. Silly fashionistas. [​IMG]
    Sportsman's Guide has some raw deals on outdoor gear, used/new military supplies and surplus, and clothing (though most of it gets a thumbs down). Glad to see another subscriber here.

10. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Alias - Wear the skimask buddy - that and keep one hand inside your jacket - the salespeaople will be too terrified to come near you :)

...I know what you mean about the over-aggressive sales people over there. :)

Chuck