• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Long Shadow of Chernobyl

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a really cool website by Gerd Ludwig, a NatGeo photographer. He visited Chernobyl 25 years after the "event" and the photos are just stunning. http://www.longshadowofchernobyl.com/ The most interesting photos, IMO, are of the "illegal residents" who have returned to the Exclusion Zone. They are mostly elderly, and most live off of homegrown food. of course, the are exposed regularly to the contaminated soil and water.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad says Chernobyl never happened and it's a conspiracy from the anti-nuclear Left.
ffffuuuu.gif

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
...The most interesting photos, IMO, are of the "illegal residents" who have returned to the Exclusion Zone. They are mostly elderly, and most live off of homegrown food. of course, the are exposed regularly to the contaminated soil and water.

Thanks for the link, conne.
I can't imagine going back to Chernobyl to live. What a strong homing bond we humans have.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
watched a documentary on animal life in chernobyl. not sure the name but if you can find it watch it. it was amazing. they actually introduced some species there after the disaster and they all seem to be thriving. they think that the animals life span is too short for a lot of them to be affected by cancer etc. really cool stuff.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
My dad says Chernobyl never happened and it's a conspiracy from the anti-nuclear Left.
ffffuuuu.gif

long lost brother?? haha

culture

Reaction score
I've been to chernobyl & pripyat and it was incredible, nature has completely overtaken the site. What used to be the main square now has full grown trees growing through the concrete. It looks like a scene from a disaster movie. The silence coupled with the visual was eerie.

I didnt see too much animal life, but I did notice birds nesting in the openings of the reactor 4 vault.

Mr. White

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the consequences of the USSR deciding that it was "business as usual" with the contaminated agricultural products. Tens of millions were exposed to contaminated foodstuffs that way.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedydon
There's also this: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/ Some of these photographs are very disturbing...
I remember looking at something similar years ago when I was a kid. I nearly **** my pants. My parents first told me about this disaster after one of their friend's kids died from complications relating to radiation exposure. I was born in a city 250 miles away, just a few months after the disaster so this reminds of just how effing fortunate I am. Thanks for the link Conne.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was taking a bath on the Mediterranean that same day, so that explains the mutations I got, so that way I must go bespoke for my underwear for obvious " big " reasons.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpallaCamiccia
I was taking a bath on the Mediterranean that same day, so that explains the mutations I got, so that way I must go bespoke for my underwear for obvious " big " reasons.

Bespoke underwear pushes the big reasons backwards so no elegant gays stare at it...

Syl

Reaction score
My wife's family was affected by Chernobyl. Her younger sister died a few yrs after the contamination and all of the family were quite sick for many yrs. My wife still has long-term issues.
We actually weren't sure if our daughter would be affected. So far it's good but time will tell.

It's amazing, talking to people affected by it, how extensive the problems were.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads