• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The lines between Business Dress - Business Casual - Casual

williamson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
I love the look smart fitted suit with a pristine open neck shirt...
My thoughts run on these lines:
1. A tie gives a much better visual balance than does a gaping open-necked shirt.
2. Suit = formal. Open-necked shirt = casual.
Therefore, suit +open-necked shirt = incongruous mixture,
The result is mixed message, mixed metaphor, mixed modes.
The reductio ad absurdum of this is suit + trainers (sneakers) or even suit + hoodie!
Heaven preserve us from such incongruities! Formal and casual inhabit different worlds.
Everyone has known this for many decades, and I don't believe that we are such busy or important people that we can't be expected to do what other people do, (or, for that matter, what our predecessors did).
In a semi-professional or more casual setting, the tie combo can appear conceited or out-of-place...
This is utter nonsense, though there is an element of over-dressing. Simple solutions are wearing a sports jacket or blazer, with tie, but without pocket square, or not wearing a jacket at at all.

I suspect that neither of us is likely to change his opinion on this matter.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by williamson
My thoughts run on these lines:
1. A tie gives a much better visual balance than does a gaping open-necked shirt.
2. Suit = formal. Open-necked shirt = casual.
Therefore, suit +open-necked shirt = incongruous mixture,

I beg to differ, a casual cotton suit looks great with an open necked shirt.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We haven't fallen so far that a suit is considered formal? Yikes the end is near.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I had a hard time with this myself, but am now getting over those insecurities. Also, the people in my circle are beginning (or have begun) to accept my dress code.

People you see regularly, or people you don't? For occasional gatherings and such among old acquaintances, it might be prudent for the man who has upgraded his style to tone things down, unless many there thought he looked terrible before. Otherwise, attention for a drastic change probably is distracting and unwelcome.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
People you see regularly, or people you don't? For occasional gatherings and such among old acquaintances, it might be prudent for the man who has upgraded his style to tone things down, unless many there thought he looked terrible before. Otherwise, attention for a drastic change probably is distracting and unwelcome.

It's with both people I see regularly and those I don't. When I upgraded my style with people I saw regularly, there were some who made comments about why I "dress up" (all I was wearing was collared shirts and pants other than jeans). So I did tone it down with them. I started to wear nice clothes (again, just collared shirts and pants other than jeans) around them once a week, then twice a week and so on. Now some are surprised when I wear a t-shirt...
smile.gif

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I beg to differ, a casual cotton suit looks great with an open necked shirt.

+1 Open collar is very common here in the 21st.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a reminder. One of the guidelines for casual wear (meant here going out in public for non-exercise purposes) is no tee shirts on unfit figures or people over, say, age 35. Many people do it anyway, but many people are unstylish.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
That's a reminder. One of the guidelines for casual wear (meant here going out in public for non-exercise purposes) is no tee shirts on unfit figures or people over, say, age 35. Many people do it anyway, but many people are unstylish.

As in, wearing a t-shirt underneath a sportscoat or blazer? Because I think it looks okay if you can pull it off (youngish in age and the shirt fits well + shirt not longer than coat!)

rexthedestroyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
As in, wearing a t-shirt underneath a sportscoat or blazer? Because I think it looks okay if you can pull it off (youngish in age and the shirt fits well + shirt not longer than coat!)

Oh no you didn't.......

Prime_Water

Reaction score
There seems to be two definitions of Business Casual, at least in places I've been to in New York. At work, the designated dress code for business casual is everything except for the jacket, and you can even get away with wearing khakis instead of dress pants. When I go to dinners though, it appears that business casual is everything but the tie. When I show up to a business casual restaurant for dinner in "office business casual," people often give me weird glances.

Cocophone

Reaction score
Out here in the Pacific Northwest, summer casual wear is what I call the "Male Mumu." The "Male Mumu" is a T-shirt that is 3 sizes too big, to cover the protruding stomach bulge, baggy shorts or jeans, and flip flops or sandals.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cocophone
Out here in the Pacific Northwest, summer casual wear is what I call the "Male Mumu." The "Male Mumu" is a T-shirt that is 3 sizes too big, to cover the protruding stomach bulge, baggy shorts or jeans, and flip flops or sandals.

People there wear sandals? That's a step up from the beat-up sneakers...

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sandals and athletic sneakers also generally are inappropriate, probably even for relatively young adults. Boat shoes usually can be substituted without the wearer looking overdressed, and there are dressier options that can be subtle.

Tee shirt with tailored jacket? Maybe not verboten on older guys, but it seldom looks good, regardless of age.

prehop

Reaction score
i'll wear an open collar (or even a polo) with a cotton suit and vans or jack purcells... this is obviously a casual look, but a suit is not inherently formal

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's casual, but it also shows you care much about style. Sometimes, among certain people, that can lead to basically the same reaction that overdressing prompts. With more formal shoes (maybe non-descript suede) and chinos instead of the matching pants, it might be easier to pull off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads