• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Left Shoe Company?

MikkelM

Reaction score
I have been searching the web for reviews on this company http://www.leftshoecompany.com/home but no luck, only PR articles.
They have a setup for the 3D measuring in my town and seeing the prices and style seems okay it caught my attention. But I'm wondering about the quality?
Does anyone have experience with this MTM shoe shop?

MikkelM

Reaction score
Little bump

Apparently it was called the 'the left foot company' before, but still not a lot of talk about them out there.

Thinking about Allen Edmonds as well, but there are no dealers in Denmark where I can try them out.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
This outfit did open a shop in Birmingham, UK a few years back. I purchased a pair on an introductory offer.

Quality was on par with the lower Northampton manufacturers, I'd say Loake would be a good comparator. Having looked at the link you've provided I think quality is unlikely to have improved further.

If fitting is a major issue for you it's a consideration, provided their lasts work for you. Otherwise for the same price you can purchase shoes with better construction, leather, styling etc

The member CTbrummie may or may not have tried this brand also, so he might chime in.

If the 3d scanner technology is of interest to you, I believe Lodger & Lutwyche (London) may still be using this technology.

MikkelM

Reaction score
It is indeed the fit I'm worried about and why they caught my attention and this is the very limit of my budget.
Have a pair of loakes 1880 and while I can't say anything bad about their quality they just aren't made for my foot.
I have a slim heel/ankle and a broad forefoot. Duckfeet you might say
smile.gif

konda

Reaction score
Street clear of those shoes. Luckily have not put my own dough down to more than a pair (have had six), the quality of the leather is crap. The shoes fit quite well, but the lasts are still big compared to what they should be with my feet. I have a very narrow heel and the Lefts' lasts just don't go down to that tight. So a British f last is the best you will be getting with Left.

You get a better deal AND quality buying 2 pairs of Loakes at the price of one left "MTM". Not to mention puttin down the extra buck and just taking a pair of Sargents...

Last edited:

Laurentius

Reaction score
I own three pairs and have mixed feelings on them. Firstly, they are the best-fitting and most comfortable shoes I've owned, hands down and no discussion. I wouldn't go so far as to bash the quality of the leather either - good beater quality and clearly better than they made them half a decade ago. The real problem is the price. The overall packacge just doesn't justify the 350€ or plus price tag on them. For that money you should be able to and can shop around for almost equal comfort but much better and solid build and seriously better leather. The Lefts aren't worth their price, apart from the fit IMO.

Last edited:

MikkelM

Reaction score
As said my feet unfortunately don't match with the fit of loake.
And I don't dare to buy Allen Edmonds before trying the fit - and there aren't any dealerships near my country.
But thanks for the response.

konda

Reaction score
^ for AE do this:

1. Take a Brannock measurement of your foot (US Brannock naturally)
2. Buy a beater pair of AE off eBay. Take about 0.5 sizes smaller than your Brannock size and 1 fitting wider than your Brannock size (especially if you're buying Park Avenues). This maximises your hit % to get it right on the 1st try.
3. Test and resell if necessary. Re-order a second beater pair if necessary.

AEs move fairly well on eBay so you won't end up too much on the negative.

I have the same problem as you, even though mine is really with a crazy 14 B foot for which sizes aren't available at dealers. My size was exact to Brannock: 14 B.

Last edited:

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Pity about the negative responses. I love their Conrad model!

Any new experiences since this thread was last updated?

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Left is a Finnish company, but their factory is in Estonia. The laser measuring technology is fancy and different, but it's only use is to help the sales people select the likely best-fitting readymade last from Left's selection. The lasts are not modified in any way. Their leathers could be better, lasts could be more shapely, customisation options better, price-quality deal could be much better. While the Goodyear-welted construction is a nice add, it is not enough. In sum, you are much better off choosing any Northampton factory over Left.

Baracuda

Reaction score
Yes, I instructed them to make me two pairs for my wedding a year ago.

Whilst the salesman was pretty knowledgeable and approachable, I didn't have a good experience with the product.

The suede shoes were very nice and comfortable but the black oxford (contemporary style) were awful.. They felt like they were made for someone else. Very tight and this morning have given me terrible blisters.. I won't be frequenting theirs again. I paid over 350 gbp per pair but will be willing to spend 3 times that for shoes that are more comfortable..

They didn't spell my name correctly inside the shoe - that says it all..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads