• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Laws of (American) Style

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this today.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/men/article...13609&GT1=7997

I like:
12. Additionally, your tie knot speaks volumes.

THE SIZE OF A BALL BEARING: "In my spare time, I snort coke and jam with the Strokes."
THE SIZE OF A PINBALL: "I'll be on the Vineyard for the entire month of August. You should come out."
THE SIZE OF A GOLF BALL: "The reason you hate me is that pretty much everything I do, I do perfectly. Like tying this tie."
THE SIZE OF A TENNIS BALL: "Yo, Vinny, I'm starving. Let's grab a slice on the way to the reception."

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This article also spurred me to post a thread about it when it appeared in the magazine a couple of months ago. There's some good advice -- no logos, no cufflinks with jeans -- along with some curious advice -- no DB suits -- and some terrible advice -- only use black shoe polish (?!??).

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no laws, only rules

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I LOVE this one:

"3. The ideal age at which a well-informed sense of style finally agrees with the level of the American man's disposable income: Thirty-five. Pre-thirty-five, you have no money. Post-thirty-five, you have kids. And no money."

I turn 35 this year so apparently just about to hit my prime time. And we have absolutely no intentions of having kids--I'm set for life apparently.

bob

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
The one thing I really *liked* was...dunno, #34 or so. Try wearing different cufflinks on each wrist. Good stuff, nice and subtle effect.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of laws and rules...where has our dear friend Manton gone to? Book signing?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I saw this in the magazine, and particularly like law 2:

Livestock are the only American staple that should show any visible branding.

I love it!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait, I guess I'm a sucker, but what happens when you polish brown shoes with black shoe polish?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look darker and more antiqued.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Wait, I guess I'm a sucker, but what happens when you polish brown shoes with black shoe polish?

To tell you the truth, the only shoe polish I use these days are JM Weston's burgandy. Sometimes it gives black a little red patina, and makes brown look richer. Beeswax polish smells so good.
inlove.gif

pdxjayhawk

Reaction score
The absolute #1 thing I take away from reading the list on the link provided is...

Rosario Dawson is hot.
inlove.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot dodgy about that list, not surprising considering it comes from Esquire.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No boots and suits, no DBs, cardigans for a young man, just one pair of shoe trees and black shoe polish needed, replace one's wallet every year, it's okay to wear mismatched cufflinks? These points should be ignored. It's not a bad list otherwise.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I LOVE this one:

"3. The ideal age at which a well-informed sense of style finally agrees with the level of the American man's disposable income: Thirty-five. Pre-thirty-five, you have no money. Post-thirty-five, you have kids. And no money."

I turn 35 this year so apparently just about to hit my prime time. And we have absolutely no intentions of having kids--I'm set for life apparently.

bob

You don't choose whether to have children. Chuck Norris tells one of his women to marry you and he permits your sperm to swim for a moment without fear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads