• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Last "Stroller" thread I'll Ever Need

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright, this is really getting to me. I never gave strollers a second thought until I saw them pop up here on SF again and again. Let me begin by saying that a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I had a black blazer. It was purchased before I knew anything about dressing properly but it fit well. In the intervening time period I have learned a lot and grown. Pretty soon I had packed away my black blazer into the deep recesses of my storage space never to be seen again. I thought it was dead, gone. I wanted only to forget about the trauma of what I had done by wearing that jacket in public and move on with my life.

Then a nagging guilt began to wash over me. That jacket had done nothing wrong, it was simply being what it was. Had I committed an injustice by tossing it aside like one of those rosettes you get with a new suit? That guilt has no other purpose than the fact that I want a stroller. I don't need one, but I want one. Simple as that. Great for daytime wedding I'm sure, probably never have any other occasion to wear it, but screw it. I want one.

There is just one problem. I don't know what a stroller really is. When I say that I mean I don't know what the quintessential details of a stroller jacket are. All I've ever heard is "Black suit jacket". Is that it? My black jacket is worsted wool, single breasted, two button, notch lapel, flap pockets, single vent. Just plain ol black. Would it be a sin to use this jacket to build a stroller around? If so, what are the essential aspects of a stroller jacket because, whether I use my old black jacket or not, I AM going to get one.

Little help here?

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be on the wrong forum.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've considered getting a stroller as well. It's a bit further down my list, but definitely something I've been thinking about.

For a more formal garment, I think peak lapels are preferable. I would probably do the black jacket with one button and peak lapels. I'm not sure what the rule is for vents, but I'm deciding between side vents or no vents. I know that no vents is technically more correct on a tuxedo but am not sure if this carries over into daytime semiformal.

Other elements for the stroller (not the jacket) would be striped or checked grey trousers and an appropriate vest.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have a stroller outfit, it is actually very useful.

I believed the standard stroller consist of a black single breasted jacket and a matching db waistcoat, along with a pair of multi-stripe trouser. White shirt and a 'formal' tie. Black shoes.

I have worn this outfit to work a lot of times and no one blink at me.

OTM

Reaction score
I agree with the above and would like to add recommendations for jetted pockets. As far as I have understood, there is a much greater freedom for individuality in daytime formal wear. However, these are some of the guidelines I have picked up:

Wear grey, heavily patterned trousers (large patterns preferable).
Wear a double breasted waistcoat. It can match the coat, but certainly does not have to.
Wear a white collared shirt.

The coat, black or oxford grey (herringbone optional):
Knee length morning coat for morning dress.
Single or double breasted suit coat for stroller / streseman.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, the stroller was properly understood as the correct business outfit at one point. It is certainly well below a morning gown outfit.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've considered getting a stroller as well. It's a bit further down my list, but definitely something I've been thinking about.

For a more formal garment, I think peak lapels are preferable. I would probably do the black jacket with one button and peak lapels. I'm not sure what the rule is for vents, but I'm deciding between side vents or no vents. I know that no vents is technically more correct on a tuxedo but am not sure if this carries over into daytime semiformal.

Other elements for the stroller (not the jacket) would be striped or checked grey trousers and an appropriate vest.

Have heard that the coat in dark charcoal is also par for the course and might not present such a stark contrast to one's skin tone in comparison with a black number.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have heard that the coat in dark charcoal is also par for the course and might not present such a stark contrast to one's skin tone in comparison with a black number.

Yep, your information is also correct.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That may well be true. I'd be tempted to go with black for the simple reason that it's one of the few cases I could wear black tailored clothing and be correct according to the rules other than when I am wearing my tuxedo.

Geezer

Reaction score
It is a dead style, a bit like the bowler and homburg hats worn with it. I have seen it worn half a dozen times in London in the laast ten or more years, invariably by gentlemen who looked close to retirement.

Quite common wear in the UK between 1920 and 1970. An attempt to bridge the gap between morning dress and lounge suit, and traditionally associated with lawyers, bankers, and top civil servants. Which is why John Cleese wore it in the "Ministry of Silly Walks" Monty Python sketch. "Stroller" is an Americanism, I think. In the UK, it was usually prosaically called "black jacket and striped trousers".

I have one. As a 20-year old a quarter century ago, I had occasional need to wear morning dress and mine was an ill-fitting collection of thrifted pieces. So I hit on the idea of having a 3-piece suit made from 18oz black morning coat cloth, DB coat and DB vest, and a pair of morning dress "cashmere stripe" trousers. That would give me a suit, a pair of well-fitting morning dress trousers, and the option of wearing a stroller.It is nearly indestructible and with the vest very warm so it still comes out occasionally as a suit on bitter cold days, despite being black (sorry, Forum).

But in 25 years, I have only worn it twice as a stroller - once to a wedding where only the groom, bride's father and best man/ushers and a couple of other close family were going to wear morning dress, and once when I had to attend a very formal event in morning dress during the working day and thought it would be both practical and amusing to wear the "stroller" as my suit, slipping into the tailcoat only for that event.

To be corrrect, it must be black, and must have a black vest, both of morning coat cloth, and the trousers must be suitable for morning dress. But, really, speaking as an owner of a rather decent bespoke one (which for all I know might be the last bespoke stroller ever commissioned), you'd be better off not bothering and putting your time and money towards something more useful.

Last edited:

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. Definitely peak lapels, one button, jetted pockets, two vents, striped pants. I think color should be oxford grey, with a dove DB vest.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is just the info I was looking for. Thanks guys. It would seem that my old black jacket is not quite ready to make a comeback. I like the idea of peak lapels and jetted pockets, but unless it is forbidden I think I will shy away from no vents. I don't want it to look like a tuxedo jacket (unless someone can convince me otherwise), even though I know it is supposed to be formal wear.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a dead style, a bit like the bowler and homburg hats worn with it. I have seen it worn half a dozen times in London in the laast ten or more years, invariably by gentlemen who looked close to retirement.

I think the meaning of the word "stroller" might have changed somewhat as well...

I can't imagine it been used for anything else these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads