• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Kosher Chinese Food Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As dopey and Stitches might have been timed out by the sun going down I'll attempt an answer. They can have a rabbi or they can have a mashgiach that works under a rabbi's hechsher. A mashgiach is a person trained in the ways of kashrut, the Jewish dietary laws. I always think of the rabbi as a doctor and the mashgiach as a nurse practitioner. :laugh:

ok, so years ago I took a course with a bunch of people who ran small factories in israel . one of the guys was the owner of a meat factory. one day we each talked about the problems that we had that were specific to us.

so he told a story " I have to get my meat inside city limits by 8 before trafic starts, so I need to load the trucks by 7. we start killing at 3, 12 slaugherers and 12 mashgicheem. then, every few minutes a mashgiach tells his slaughterer to stop because the knife is too dull, so I go over and give them each 50 sheckels, and they start again. this goes on for hours, until each team gets a few 50 sheckel notes"

:laugh:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Totally believable. Every time my family has had to hire someone for rituals they'ce constantly been on the take.

GT, I agree with your comment about the wine, and consider something similar to be behind many of the Jewish laws, such as wearing kippot and not eating pork. I.e., don't do what THOSE guys do, or wear what they wear, etc.

Come to think of it, shatnez was tailor made to keep Jews away from those yummy WASP gals.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ok, so years ago I took a course with a bunch of people who ran small factories in israel . one of the guys was the owner of a meat factory. one day we each talked about the problems that we had that were specific to us.
so he told a story " I have to get my meat inside city limits by 8 before trafic starts, so I need to load the trucks by 7. we start killing at 3, 12 slaugherers and 12 mashgicheem. then, every few minutes a mashgiach tells his slaughterer to stop because the knife is too dull, so I go over and give them each 50 sheckels, and they start again. this goes on for hours, until each team gets a few 50 sheckel notes"

he is bribing them not to sharpen their knives? that is very disheartening indeed. :(

I would go if I didn't hate Devo so much.

a shandah!

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this thread at all.

We have plenty of Chinese food here and many Chinese restaurants, don't know if they're kosher though.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you kind of had to be there.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you kind of had to be there.

Yeh, keywords "Chinese" and "China". LOL

I've seen Chinese restaurants that are "halal" 清真, becuase they sometimes put that on the menus. Sometimes it's printed on food packaging as well. But never "kosher" 合犹太人戒律.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I personally know a rabbi that deems glass is like earthenware, as it's made from sand, hence is absorbent and one must have two sets.
I have been told by two mashgiach that one need only rinse them off as they are non-absorbent. Speaking of mashgiach, some rabbis will not grant their hechsher if the mashgiach is female.
The "Practically?" comment came from an 87 year old Jewish lady that told me she accepted the same glass plates were kosher but that her eyes just told her it was wrong as she needed to see two different patterns so she would know things had not been mixed, therefore glass plates were unacceptable to her.

I'm pretty sure glass utensils may be used for both though there is a custom of not cooking in both such as in a pyrex dish.

my sister, may she rot in hell, is "observant" but she is a huge cheater. so she hs come up with a whole group of laws that don't make any sense, because she assumes that nobody else in the family would second guess her. so she'll eat in a fish resteraunt, and eat a kosher fish, but it could be served off dishesor even cooked on pots taht were used for shellfish.

She may be technically correct. The amount of shellfish is nullified by the relative amount of other kosher food.

Thanks for the responses. Must a restaurant that claims to be kosher have a rabbi on staff supervising food preparation?

No, though doesn't mean I would eat there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads