• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Knickerbocker Thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
* Golden Age * dna with a sportswear twist !

In this thread we discuss various permutations of breeks , plus-twos , plus-fours , high socks , high boots , and assorted accoutrement along with use , fits , fabrics , notions .

ok ? ok . let's show a little leg !

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
* Golden Age * dna with a sportswear twist !

In this thread we discuss various permutations of breeks , plus-twos , plus-fours , high socks , high boots , and assorted accoutrement along with use , fits , fabrics , notions .

ok ? ok . let's show a little leg !
I own a pair of ultra thick Woolrich knockers which I wore cross
country skiiing in Michigan, Wisconsin and California. They actually
kept me warm worn with heavy socks wool-blend underwear, etc
skiing when it was -10 F in Wisconsin.

Here is an identical pair:

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And here I thought this was a thread for New Yorkers.

What's the actual difference between knickerbockers and just.......shorts? Like honest question. What are you going for here? What's the style you are thinking of?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Knicks suck.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Knicks suck.

7327b774-83e0-4b61-9ab0-f831222d3d65_text.gif

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here I thought this was a thread for New Yorkers.

What's the actual difference between knickerbockers and just.......shorts? Like honest question. What are you going for here? What's the style you are thinking of?

the idea of this threak grew out of the convo over in sw&d hiking gear :

i like coverage down the leg , the tech crowd has a point about cotton so i was thinking about a tough worsted cloth and how the functionalism is part and parcel of the resultant aesthetic , a degree of anti-fit through the seat that tapers to slender , creates height , etc

I own a pair of ultra thick Woolrich knockers which I wore cross country skiiing
in Michigan, Wisconsin and California. They actually kept me warm worn with
heavy socks wool-blend underwear, etc skiing when it was -10 F in Wisconsin.

i have a pair from iirc faribault they are a thick woolen cloth in buffalo check .

i prefer to reach aesthetic through use or function , imo the idea marries tailoring and sportswear and you can grow a silhouette from the type in a few different directions , think about different cloths and broader modes ( like i could see long shorts / high socks concept as cm or sw&d ) .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads